Now I remember why I only do clean installs.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by WiseUp216, Nov 17, 2012.

1. WiseUp216

WiseUp216 Platinum Member

After reading a lot of positive experiences in this forum regarding Windows 8, I purchased the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. As much as I love Windows 7, I'm not afraid of a little change.

After going through the complete upgrade process, I received this message on the final re-boot. No information, no error codes, nothing. Just a simple 'FAIL'. I don't even know where to begin in troubleshooting with a message like this. D:

The installer also required that I uninstall my Asmedia USB 3.0 drivers before I could begin. After reinstalling them when I got back to Windows 7, my USB 3.0 ports are still dead. Bah!

So, yea, no real point to this thread other than vent a little. I'll give 7 a little more time before I try a clean installation of 8 in the future.

[​IMG]

2. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Wow, that's fail for sure.

So is there an easy way to fresh install Win8 Upgrade? Win7 was pretty easy.

3. KillerBee

KillerBee Golden Member

Now if only "we" gives you a refund - then you would be back to like it was before :p

4. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

Shouldn't there be a failed install log somewhere?

5. WiseUp216

Good point. I'll see what I can dig up.

6. Super56K

Super56K Golden Member

I actually was hit with that the first time I tried to upgrade from Windows 7. Rather than futz with it I re-ran the upgrade install and it completed successfully.

7. HumblePie

HumblePie Lifer

I just installed 8 over the weekend for the first time. Admittedly I did a FRESH install of windows 7 before doing the upgrade. I just installed 7, did all the patches, and driver installs I needed. Nothing else besides that for windows 7. After, I the the digital windows 8 pro upgrades and it went smooth.

I will admit it was something that took the vast majority of the day to complete. A fresh install of windows 7 with all the patches still takes about 3-4 hours. windows 8 took another 3-4 hours to do as well. Then there were hours of tweaking and "app" installing on 8 after as well. Basically my entire Sunday was consumed with window's 8 install. If I had to start over from the beginning from an error like the OP got I might have thrown in the towel out of frustration as well.

#7 HumblePie, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

Did you keep your receipt? WTF kind of message it that?! I hate win8ate, but I digress.

9. WiseUp216

Well, that is good to hear. I will try it again over the long holiday weekend.

Digital download. Not sure I could return it even if I wanted to.

10. SimMike2

SimMike2 Platinum Member

Are you on dialup internet? An install should not take that long.