Now I can't read my hotmail - error 401, unauthorized credentials

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
No idea what this is about - on the same desktop as normal. Tried a new tab, same error. Different browser (Edge), same error.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I could use some help on this. I need to get to my mail.

The online info doesn't seem very helpful. Here's what it says:

The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server Administration tool is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in for creating and managing Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server instances. When you install the Server Option on a computer, the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server Administration tool is one of the default features. The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server Administration tool is also an option when you install the Client Option, although it is not one of the default components.

You typically run the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server Administration tool by choosing Microsoft Dynamics NAV Administration from the Start menu. For some scenarios, however, you may need to open the MMC first and then add the Microsoft Dynamics NAV snap-in. For example, see How to: Administer Multiple Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server Computers. In this case, choose Run from the Start menu and then specify the Microsoft Management Console:

It goes on to talk about how to use the 'Microsoft Dynamics NAV administration tool - I'v never heard of NAV before - starting with 'run it from the start menu', it's not there.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
More good news, because I was getting notices every couple days for months about an attempt to log into my mail from another country, I changed the password and forgot it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I tried to download two 'free VPN's' to see if that might help (unlikely) and both of them said they were free but then demanded signing up for 'premium'.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Chances are, you were simply hacked. Good luck getting your account back, I've heard that it's virtually impossible, and the best that you can hope for, is getting it permanently shut down, so spammers can't use your name.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Chances are, you were simply hacked. Good luck getting your account back, I've heard that it's virtually impossible, and the best that you can hope for, is getting it permanently shut down, so spammers can't use your name.

I had a hard to guess password changed a couple weeks ago (I remember that much) and ran malwarebytes and it found nothing like a keylogger, so not clear how I'd have been hacked.

Not a good option to lose all my e-mail.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I guess my next question is - you changed your password to a hard-to-guess one - did you write it down? Is it this new password, that is giving your the "unauthorized" login? Because if you've tried the current password, and it's giving you "unauthorized", then either you've been MITM'ed (and likely, your password stolen), or simply hacked, and they changed the password on you.

IMO, Malwarebytes got it's name, by removing unwanted adware. I really am not sure that I trust it, as far as an "all clear" goes, for more sophisticated modern trojans on a system.

I would at the least, install a new HDD/ SSD, install a fresh copy of the OS from a known-clean install media (NOT created using the suspect PC), and run Hitman Pro on the suspect PC's drive, while slaved to a USB dock or something.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Updates - tried incognito mode in Chrome, that gets a login screen but it gets the same error as soon as I log in.

Normally, it gets the error - with nothing but text, no logins, no buttons - as soon as I enter hotmail.com.

But, it's looking like it might be a hotmail problem for several hours now.

Others have reported the same error, and the site 'downrightnow.com' shows them down.

And, I do have my password again (but no chance to enter it). It's one I would have suspected, but I did make a note of it thankfully which confirms it.

And, a ping of hotmail.com apparently showed the 'correct IP' suggesting I'm not hacked about that.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Oh, that's a relief, that it was just something on their end. Sorry to have steered you wrong, Craig.