Now here's a scary look at Bush from my local paper.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
BRAIN CHEMISTRY
The Serotonin Factor
Bush's 'dry drunk' thinking

Katherine van Wormer Sunday, May 25, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the surface, the launching of war in the Middle East to rid the world of a ruthless tyrant and gain control of rich oil resources seemed to make some sense. Scratch below the surface, however, and the price began to seem absurdly high financially, politically and socially.

So the question was: Why? Why the war? Protesters the world over chanted "No blood for oil," but some political analysts and commentators are probing deeper, searching Bush's psyche for the true explanation. Before the invasion of Iraq began, I became struck by certain traits of the president's personality that were highly familiar to me. The familiarity was based on the years I had spent providing substance abuse treatment and researching the dynamics of addictive thinking.

Brain studies reinforce what recovering alcoholics and their counselors have been saying for years: Long-term alcohol and other drug use changes the chemistry of the brain.

RIGIDITY IN THINKING
These anomalies in brain patterns are associated with a rigidity in thinking; both harm reduction and Alcoholics Anonymous treatment approaches focus on helping people in recovery work on their destructive thought processes.

"Dry drunk" is a slang term used to describe the recovering alcoholic who is no longer drinking, but whose thinking is clouded. Such an individual is said to be dry but not truly sober; such an individual tends to go to extremes.

It was when I started noticing the extreme language that colored President Bush's speeches that I began to wonder. First there were the terms -- "crusade, " "infinite justice" -- that were later withdrawn. Next came "evildoers," "axis of evil," "regime change" -- terms that have almost become cliches. Something about the polarized thinking and the obsessive repetition reminded me of many of the recovering alcoholics and addicts I had treated.

FURTHER INSIGHTS
Hundreds of people, many of them in recovery from alcoholism, have written 'Aha" letters and provided additional insights to the hypothesis: "I spotted it right away -- he's a dry drunk." Or: "He needs to work on his issues."

Consider the most commonly delineated traits of irrational thinking known as "dry-drunk syndrome" and how closely they match Bush's personality characteristics.

GRANDIOSITY
Exaggerated self-importance and grandiose behavior: Unlike most others in this category, the president of the United States possesses awesome power. The way he uses it is another matter. Consider Bush's readiness to inflict "regime change" on another nation without any consideration that other nations might dare to do the same. His sense is of a divine mission to see that evil is punished.

As governor of Texas, Bush presided over hundreds of executions; in Iraq he ordered the firing of thousands of missiles into populated areas.

All-or-nothing thinking: This narrow and moralistic world view relates to extreme behaviors of indulgence and risk-taking. Because of the destructiveness of this either/or pattern of thinking in addicts, the treatment focus is placed here.

Bush's "black and white thinking," his view of the world in terms of good and evil, is evidenced in both speech and actions. "Either you're with us or you're with the enemy" is a favorite theme.

SEROTONIN IN THE BRAIN
Obsessiveness: This trait, related to levels of serotonin in the brain, is manifest as an inability to let go, the determination to pursue one path, whatever the cost.

Consider that Bush has been out to "get Saddam" since shortly after the events of Sept. 11. Consider also the extent to which he has been driven to accomplish his recent mission to the disregard of almost everything else.

I trace Bush's obsession over Iraq, in part, to his struggles growing up in the shadow of his much more successful father.

Sent away to the very New England prep school where his father's accomplishments were still remembered, the younger Bush became better known for his pranks than athletic or academic achievements. His later drinking bouts, arrests, and much later religious conversion are well documented. In Iraq, Bush junior had a unique opportunity to finish the job his father was criticized for failing to do -- to "take out" Saddam.

A PERSONAL CRUSADE
Going after Iraq became a personal crusade.

The man who knows George W. best, the person most familiar with his rashness of thought, recently sent him a message. In a speech at Tufts University, George Bush Sr. emphasized the need for the United States to maintain close ties with Europe and the United Nations. "You've got to reach out to the other person," he advised. If only George W. would.

Katherine van Wormer is professor of social work at the University of Northern Iowa. She is co-author of "Addiction Treatment: A Strength's Perspective" (Wadsworth 2003).

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Good grief, Moonbeam... now she tells us. Why didn't Gore's camp propound that condition (S) during the race? Well, Dr. Jekel or Mr. Hyde has a long lost... Freud would have a field day with this if he were here today. He'd, however, probably subscribe to Jung and not his own myoptic view...
The post does seem to tie physical attributes of an alcoholic to an otherwise wonderfully adept individual...

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Going after Iraq became a personal crusade
I hope going after Bush isn't a personal crusade for Kathy.

Potentially valid point with obsession, though. The trouble is how do you deferentiate "obesession" with "unwavering commitment"? I'd call it the former if we were surrounding another Axis of Evil country right about now....but many troops are RTB and diplomacy is still the perferred technique at this juncture.

Even if Bush fit the profile he has many advisors to help steer him along. Assuming Bush is a bit mad, would they not likely temper that obsession a bit (Asscroft and Rummie excluded)? Or is Bush actually even-keeled but his "handlers" are the ones who are addicted to making the world over in their image? LOL, all speculation I reckon.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
[ self consious psysh 101 student] I have all these probelms too. [ self consious psysh 101 student]

I should ssay I don't buy any of this. Bush is like all Rich boys. They don't have to follow normal standards of behavior nor follow the rules. They grow up and are tought manipulation and business from day one. All thier life things simply work themselves out because of power, money and influence with minimal effort.

So don't blame Bush it not his fault.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Carbonyl
[ self consious psysh 101 student] I have all these probelms too. [ self consious psysh 101 student]

I sent an email to my even nuttier sister (the psychologist) about Moonbeams thread. She will, as usual, respond with "In your myoptic view of life no possibility exists that skirts the thin tube of your vision. So what I would suggest is; become an alcoholic, become sober and then have your brain sectioned by your less nutty sister and have prima facia evidence to support your illogical conclusion, what ever that may be." But on the oft chance she responds with the sentient wisdom she is sometimes capable of I'll repost it here...:D

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: HJD1

I sent an email to my even nuttier sister (the psychologist) about Moonbeams thread. She will, as usual, respond with "In your myoptic view of life no possibility exists that skirts the thin tube of your vision. So what I would suggest is; become an alcoholic, become sober and then have your brain sectioned by your less nutty sister and have prima facia evidence to support your illogical conclusion, what ever that may be." But on the oft chance she responds with the sentient wisdom she is sometimes capable of I'll repost it here...:D

You hae one too huh. Mine works for the Ca penal system (atascadero state hospital) and is totally nuts. I think they all are. The psychologists too.;)

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: HJD1

You hae one too huh. Mine works for the Ca penal system (atascadero state hospital) and is totally nuts. I think they all are. The psychologists too.;)

Pecans, walnuts, tootsie rolls... they're all nuts.. now a person like me... well we're sane and secure in the knowledge the difference betwix is proof of the puddin.:)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Ever notice the temper both bushs have? They seem to get visably angry when tough questions are asked.

Perot had this problem too.

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Even if Bush fit the profile he has many advisors to help steer him along. Assuming Bush is a bit mad, would they not likely temper that obsession a bit (Asscroft and Rummie excluded)? Or is Bush actually even-keeled but his "handlers" are the ones who are addicted to making the world over in their image? LOL, all speculation I reckon.

Bush only listens to people that agree with him, so no, his 'advisors' would not keep him in check.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian

Bush only listens to people that agree with him, so no, his 'advisors' would not keep him in check.

Hmm I thought his advisors ran the show.....At least that is what has been repeated many times here....

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian

Hmm I thought his advisors ran the show.....At least that is what has been repeated many times here....

When they all remain in agreement, in essence, they are.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well I'm glad to hear that Bush is OK. I have recently had cause to develope a great suspicion of people suffering from delusions of grandeur.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Well I'm glad to hear that Bush is OK. I have recently had cause to develope a great suspicion of people suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Moonbeam, boyds of a feddah flock togeddah.. no? Please refer to me as Ghengis.

:D

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I suspected that GWB was fixated on Sadaam when he made the comment "That's the guy that tried to kill my dad!". To have that spill out of his personal thoughts and be spoken as an official comment by the President of the U.S. sent up warning flags in my mind right away.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
I suspected that GWB was fixated on Sadaam when he made the comment "That's the guy that tried to kill my dad!". To have that spill out of his personal thoughts and be spoken as an official comment by the President of the U.S. sent up warning flags in my mind right away.

He's used it several times; it was not a one-time "slip".

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Potentially valid point with obsession, though. The trouble is how do you deferentiate "obesession" with "unwavering commitment"?

Distinction without difference . . . obsessions are dysfunctional b/c the preoccupation with said thoughts crowd out all other concerns (family, finances, personal hygiene). It becomes more dangerous when obsessions subsequently compel people to act in an otherwise unreasonable manner (compulsion).

The typical mother makes great sacrifices for their children . . . most mother's would not kidnap a child b/c their own asked for a playmate . . . ie obsession with pleasing their child compels one to act in an othewise unreasonable manner . . . but I believe the current GOP press release would call that family values.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I read this article in the SF Chronicle on my way back to the real world . . . I mean East Coast. It was interesting but certainly a stretch.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
The only thing more scarey is that this woman might actually be teaching future social workers. <shiver>

Although, the Clinton-haters circulated their analyses supporting classic sociopathy, too, except they never saw print in any self-respecting publication.

Of course, the difference is, they were correct about Clinton. :D

This woman doesn't even really support her analysis. Its all more or less based on a presumption: the presumption that you don't like Bush to begin with and thus find fault in his behavior.

She could use a few hundred hours on the couch, herself.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
The author's microscopic view of the situation makes me lol.

"So the question was: Why? Why the war? Protesters the world over chanted "No blood for oil," but some political analysts and commentators are probing deeper, searching Bush's psyche for the true explanation. Before the invasion of Iraq began, I became struck by certain traits of the president's personality that were highly familiar to me. The familiarity was based on the years I had spent providing substance abuse treatment and researching the dynamics of addictive thinking."

She fails to realize the truth, that Bush is a just a political puppet and social whipping boy of the administration. To analyze the scapegoat is to inevitably fall victim to the administration's true plans: a transfer of culpability. Our susceptiblity to belief in such theories as this is painfully tragic.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Moonbeam.... you remember.... he's the guy who lost his Bush.
-------------------------------
If only we could do the same.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Moonbeam.... you remember.... he's the guy who lost his Bush.
-------------------------------
If only we could do the same.

Worst case scenerio... five and a half more years...
Mid case scenerio... one and a half years...
Best case secnerio... He removes the mask and reveals he really is Nixon. I'm no crook!