*Now DEAD* ATI x800 XT PE for $434.95 shipped @ Gateway

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rhoel

Apr 9, 2004
I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and return my bfg 6800gt and hang on for the x800xt. I called today and the csr said my date was the 23rd, on the website it says the 27th. The last day I can return the 6800gt is tomorrow. It's faster than I ever could imagine(11,049 3dmark03), but I've experienced the dreaded stuttering problem. I've tried all the fixes, to no avail. My old 9800xt was very smooth I'm hoping for the same with x800xt.

Just so everyone can reference my order date was 6/30

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Simple solution... Cancel your order from Gateway. They called me once to get my permission push back my ship date but the straw that broke the camel's back was when they called to tell me my credit card authorization had failed when they went to *RE*submit it. It failed because it had been 2+ months since my order and my card expired.

I cancelled rather than put up with further runaround from their inept sales and customer service depts. Oh, and I had it for $391 to the door.

Gateway (insert icon of guy peeing to his left) ;) :p

Apr 26, 2004
Robor, I'm almost with ya on bailing. When the first folks left, I thought, cool, move me up the line. But now.... This is kinda ridiculous.... They seem like they're actively trying to keep ppl from getting this deal, without actually cancelling all the orders. If this deal was only up for an hour, I could see this kind of treatment. They left it up for weeks, and keep lying through their teeth, about dates, reasons, etc.. GRRRrr

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The bottom line is they're a very poorly run company and that's why I cancelled my order. Sales doesn't know if the items they are selling are actually in stock and when they find out they aren't they guess at arrival dates to keep you from cancelling (can you say commission?). Customer service didn't even know what the card was. I argued with a CS supervisor about how the cards could've ever been in stock when ATI didn't release them yet. They couldn't cancel my order fast enough (so they didn't have to handle another call on the subject).

Gateway don't deserve my money or anyone elses. Ask yourself, after the way they've handled this deal would you ever recommend a Gateway product to a family member, friend, or coworker?

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
Ordered 6/30, arrival date originally 6/29, then today 8/18. No product.

I agree that Gateway could use some serious PR lessons about how to better handle out-of-stock items. I find it hard to bash them when no one else has this item either.

Do the Dell guys really think they are going to get their cards sooner? It would have been an extra $50 for me to find that out.

Gonna stick it out. QuakeCon was painful to go to, though.

Rhoel, don't know if I was in your shoes what I would have done. Returning a GT to get BACK in this mess? Guess that stuttering problem was that bad, huh?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I got a fedex package in the mail....

I thought who could this be from? Dell/Gateway? Hmmmm... I thought wow! Maybe someone had actually delivered! But, Nope I forgot it was my newegg 100Pack DVD order.

I'm still sticking this out for another month or so. I know I could get 100+ for this on ebay. Not a bad little profit I guess. Maximum PC gives the 6800GT a kick ass award. Even tho my ddr3 ram on my PNY is running at 1ghz, they say that the GT is only .7 of a frame rate behind the XT in farcry... That is why I upgraded my card/hardware in the first place.

Rhoel

Apr 9, 2004
It was a nice card, but that stutter. I just didn't feel like it was worth almost $400 to me. Not worth the cash or the effort to fix. I tried different drivers and tweaks, but to no avail. Really wanted to like it, but I really miss my old 9800xt w/vga silencer.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Rhoel
It was a nice card, but that stutter. I just didn't feel like it was worth almost $400 to me. Not worth the cash or the effort to fix. I tried different drivers and tweaks, but to no avail. Really wanted to like it, but I really miss my old 9800xt w/vga silencer.
I haven't heard about this "stutter" you're talking about. Is this a common problem with the GT's in certain games? I remember a long time ago I had an Nvidia card that had a stutter to it in Tribes but we're talking the 3dfx days. Never did figure it out.

I've had good luck the past few years though. My GF4-4200 was rock solid just like my 9800 has been.

AMDScooter

Jan 30, 2001
I had the same issue. I picked up a BFG 6800 Ultra OC from frys on Wednesday and returned it today. BF1942 Studdered like a biyatch no matter which driver/settings I used. Now my 9800 Pro is back in and all is good. Hope this GW deal goes through, I don't wnat to pat $600 for a XT.

cubanx

Oct 27, 2000
Humm... After a couple of months waiting I get this email today:

"Dear Valued Gateway Customer,

This is to notify that we can not fulfill your order placed for the Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition due to inventory issues with the manufacturer. We apologize for this inconvenience. We would like to offer the Radeon X800 Pro at a reduced price of $349 (see side by side comparison below). In order to take advantage of this great price, please call 1-877-709-2883.

Regards,

Gateway, Inc."

NJDevil

Jun 10, 2002
349? That's it? IT WAS FOR SALE AT 330 a few days ago (from dell). See if you can get it for 300 (that's what I'd do).

Good luck dude. Maybe it's best that my Dell order for the PE didn't go through ...

sorry again!

SgtRock

Aug 20, 2004
Wanted to give you guys a update, as I am a long time lurker in the HOTDEALS forum, I talked to Kathy Badge 1257 today and she said that they had cards in the warehouse and are starting to fulfill orders. And for waiting as long as I have (ordered 6/28) that she took off the shipping charge and upgraded it to overnight. Sum total then was 391.45. Hopefully she was not pulling my leg, but she said the ordered was highlighted in yellow and that it mentioned that it was shipping out from the warehouse. Sooo it looks as though the 8/25 date will be true after all (maybe :D )

Also wanted to say keep up with the good work on bringing hot deals to light! Good Job.

GoffyDude

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2001
dono if this belongs in this thread but CDW canceled my order without permission or notification after a month and a half of waiting (I ordered on June 11th). I called them up and they said because it's discontinued :roll:

The CSR i talked to also said the lady in charge of my order (her name was susan) doesn't work there anymore so that's why i didn't get any email or contact saying it had been canceled. Gee thanks, CDW!

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
A follow up ... SgtRock may on to something!

I talked with Kristi (1466), and after lots of waiting and clicking/typing on her part, she said, "Looks like we finally have them in stock! Yours will be shipping Monday!"

I really want to believe her. Is the end in sight?

SgtRock

Aug 20, 2004
To expound on my previous post, she went on to tell me ?in 3 or 4 days I will double check your shipment and give you a call back on how it is progressing? I thought that was very nice of her. But I am wondering if she is just snowing me?? Maybe I am a bit to cynical.

Rhoel

Apr 9, 2004
I just called about mine, she didn't know anything but what it said on the website, 8/27. At least mine is still on. BTW I forgot who it was, but it wasn't Kristi.

TomTanida

Aug 20, 2004
Originally posted by: cubanx
Humm... After a couple of months waiting I get this email today:

Judging from your DVD collection, you must be the same cubanx from AoD. :beer: :)

Anyway, I have not gotten the same e-mail; in fact Gateway updated my order to say their expected ship date is now 9/17.

I bought a BFG 6800 Ultra at Fry's the other night (actually that would be my first serious nVidia card ever), though since my main machine is temporarily out of commission I have not had a chance to try it, and so it sits here shrinkwrapped in its plain white box.

Just for grins I plan to let my Gateway order sit until the card is obsolete or the apocalypse, which ever comes first.

-Tom

SgtRock

Aug 20, 2004
May I ask when you guys, Tom, cubanx, Rhoel, or anyone else for that matter that has gotten "THE E-MAIL" ordered your card? Just seeing if there is a possible cut off date or something.

TomTanida

Aug 20, 2004
Originally posted by: SgtRock
May I ask when you guys, Tom, cubanx, Rhoel, or anyone else for that matter that has gotten "THE E-MAIL" ordered your card? Just seeing if there is a possible cut off date or something.

Fortunately, I didn't get the cancel e-mail... my order date was June 30- I had used the 10% discount coupon (though unfortunately I live in CA so I have to pay sales tax)- my bottom line price including $7.50 shipping is $429.87.

I called Gateway (800-846-8529) just now, and the rep (Becky 1301) said that they don't have them in stock (at least for me?) but expect some on 8/27.

She also said she would upgrade my order to next day shipping for free (wheeee, as if waiting another day or so after waiting two months would matter :laugh: ).

Given CompUSA is showing mid September, I'd say the 9/17 date that's currently on my order is liable to be more accurate.

-Tom

P.S. Of course, if I was really desperate for an X800 PE, NewEgg currently has the Asus in stock for $600- just got an auto-notify from them.

cubanx

Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by: SgtRock

Well for kicks I just checked my online status:

Order Date: 6/30/04
Payment Method: CreditCard
Estimated Ship Date: 9/17/04

Maybe one hand doesn't know what the other is doing at Gateway.

Yes it's me TomTanida ;)

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is nothing new. They were giving estimated ship dates and free overnight shipping over a month ago. Unless they actually have the cards in stock any "ETA date" is nothing more than a guess.

Rhoel

Apr 9, 2004
Order Date: 6/30/04
Payment Method: CreditCard
Estimated Ship Date: 8/27/04

and I haven't got "the email"

cubanx, wierd our ship dates are way off.