NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 94 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inabag

May 15, 2012
I thought I would love Tree of Life - we turned it of after 30 minutes, and we never do that. 0/10 for me.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Machine Gun Preacher 6/10

Story about a real life criminal who found god and went to Africa, and ended up fighting the 'bad' guys to protect the children. Has Gerard Butler who I like, but the movie felt overly long, and surprisingly devoid of feeling for the subject matter.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Waste Land - 7.5/10

Documentary on netflix. Fantastic look at the recycling industry in RIO ~2008-2010. A little too political at times but overall a great look at how the other side lives.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
My home theatre is still not fully set-up, so have only been watching TV. Enjoying the world of On Demand Television.

Finished watching Girls and loved the entire first season. Great stuff. I did find the finale to be a bit over the top, but overall I thought it was awesome and can't wait for season 2.

Watched the first three episodes of Homeland http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1796960/ and like it quite a bit. There are some slow parts and I'm unsure on a couple of the plot choices, but maybe they sort those out in later episodes. Going to keep watching and see how it all plays out.

Also watched the first three episodes of Veep and the each episode seems to get stronger and stronger. I did not really like the first episode much, but by the third episode I am kind of loving it. Tony Hale is so freaking awesome I am very happy to be watching in something again and I really like Iannucci's writing (I'm a huge fan of In The Loop). Looks like there are only five more episodes, so will probably burn through those pretty quick.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
eXistenZ - 8.0/10 - Really underrated movie IMO. Had seen it before, forgot how
Inception
-like it was.

Yeah, awesome flick. I thought it was supposed to be out on Blu, but have not seen it anywhere yet. I really want to watch it again.

Waste Land - 7.5/10

Documentary on netflix. Fantastic look at the recycling industry in RIO ~2008-2010. A little too political at times but overall a great look at how the other side lives.

Been wanting to see this one for ages. Thanks for the reminder.

KT

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Also watched the first three episodes of Veep and the each episode seems to get stronger and stronger. I did not really like the first episode much, but by the third episode I am kind of loving it. Tony Hale is so freaking awesome I am very happy to be watching in something again and I really like Iannucci's writing (I'm a huge fan of In The Loop). Looks like there are only five more episodes, so will probably burn through those pretty quick.

I felt the same way at first...and didn't like "In the Loop" at first either. i think once you realize the writing and directing style, you grow to like it. I thought the movie was great once I realized I *did* like it..and Veep is so well written and clever that I thought it was great. Great cast in that show.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
THE TREE OF LIFE (9/10)
I heard how polarized people are of this movie--you either hate it or love it. Personally, I thought it's a wonderful movie with gorgeous cinematography. While the story itself is a bit hard to grasp and atypical of a Hollywood narrative, I think people miss the point if that is what they're expecting of this movie. After the movie ended, I thought about it for a bit and I think the best way to approach this movie is treat it like eating your favorite slice of pie--it invokes all the good memories and emotions of your childhood and all that the memories entail--love, loss, anger, family, friendship, etc.

On a technical standpoint, you can pause the film at any given moment and the composition and lighting is immaculate. One of the most beautifully shot film I've ever seen, but what else do you expect from Terrence Mallick?

Yup, i loved it, was a 10/10 for me.
It evoked a lot of emotion from me for various reasons in a way few movies can.

Savages - 7/10
Pretty decent movie actually, definitely a bit different than normal stuff you see :)

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
The Fifth Element 8/10

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Mila Jovovich's titties were excellent! :thumpbsup:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Letters to Juliet 7/10 I liked it. Yes, I know it is supposed to be chick flick. A few scenes got me teared up.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thats like saying Episode II is better than Episode I, while technically true I am not impressed.

I was entertained, I didn't expect BBC Master Theatre going in. It is at least watchable. They actually tried to develop the characters a bit.

It's better than ST EP 1,2 and 3 for sure.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I felt the same way at first...and didn't like "In the Loop" at first either. i think once you realize the writing and directing style, you grow to like it. I thought the movie was great once I realized I *did* like it..and Veep is so well written and clever that I thought it was great. Great cast in that show.

Yeah, watched another episode last night and it was great. It is definitely getting stronger, or at least I am more wrapped up in the characters and story lines. Too bad there are only eight episodes so far. :(

Thats like saying Episode II is better than Episode I, while technically true I am not impressed.

Episode II is the worst one by far. :colbert:

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
The Inbetweeners (S1 & S2) - 8.5/10

Yet another gem from across the Atlantic. It is vulgar, full of euphemisms, absurd situations.. and it all works like a charm. This is the story of 4 high school boys who are desperate to start their sex/love life. The first 2 seasons are hilarious and each episode is well done. The acting if pretty good and you can sense the awkwardness when ever they screw something up.

I'd say people who like In the loop will like this one for sure. I really like that movie and found this one to be a bit similar(screenplay and writing, not the plot).

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
The Way Back - 8.5/10
I simply loved this movie. Maybe it's because I secretly have a wandering spirit and just want to travel the world on foot. The movie is a little slow at times, and certain parts are drawn out (would've liked to see more of the journey thru the himalayas instead of so much of the Gobi desert). The scenery and setting(s) of the movie is probably the best character, although IMO there is some pretty good acting by Ed Harris and Colin Farrell (sp?). Like I said, I loved the movie, but others might not (wife fell asleep halfway thru).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
finally saw Caddyshack for the first time last night, I give it a 1 out 10. it wasn't even funny, what was so great about this movie?
It didn't work for me either... and I'm really into golf. A lot of great golfers really dig this movie. I'll give it another chance at some point, but I probably won't feel differently about it. Maybe if I'm in the proper mood.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Fifth Element 8/10

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Mila Jovovich's titties were excellent! :thumpbsup:
It's considered one of the most rewatchable movies. I watched it once 6 years ago. Here's what I had to say about it in my movie table:
- -
Pretty Amazing if bizarre Sci Fi. It's really basically a campy romp with an emphasis on modern entertainment genres. Kinda absurd, but fun if you let it be. And some very sexy shots of babes. Plenty of that. What a campy romp!
- -

I own the DVD, I'll slip it in again some day.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
The Amazing Spiderman.

7.1/2 out of 10

The main actors are very good. Despite the fact that the movie was made too soon because of licensing considerations it was well done.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its unashamed ridiculous makes it much easier to watch than something like the 2nd Matrix which takes itself WAY TOO seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.