NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 919 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Funny. I enjoyed Finch more than Castaway. But then, I watched Castaway a long, long time ago.
i remember Castaway had poor review when it came out, and i never could fully figure out why. I watched it twice and loved it even better the second time around.
My guess is that Castaway has those two sections before and after the island, which don't sit well with the rest of the theme - and also, they have different photography. This was probably intentional, but i can see that the result wasnt great.

In Castaway, Finch (lol) .. ermm .. Chuck Noland (Hanks) is alone, with himself. He is his own antagonist. The old Chuck, from the world of the opening scenes, offices, schedules, corporate meetings, is in contrast to the needs of Chuck Of The Island. The scenes where Chuck argues with himself, or tries to keep himself company, are glorious.
What spoils the film .. possibly .. is the last segment, where Chuck returns home, but finds himself not fit to return to that old world. I guess once you have the protagonist Win(tm) against his struggle - i.e. escaping the island - you don't really want a bitter-tasting ending, no matter how appropriate it is to the setting.

In Finch, Chuck ... i mean, Finch, is alone. That's it. At least, on a human level.
I suppose the idea behind the film was to have Finch attempt a human connection with the robots, and the dog. While you could make a film about a human trying to connect to an inanimate object, you would need to do away with all the postapocalyptic bullshit and focus on the psyche of that man, and Finch doesn't go anywhere near those depths, his motivation is literally just "i love this dog".

Even the fairly mediocre I Am Legend had Dr Neville (Smith) fighting his own mind. They could have gone at least that far (but, probably, would have still sucked as a clone of the aforementioned).

Jul 27, 2020
his motivation is literally just "i love this dog".
I think his motivation is, "I gotta save this dog no matter what because I failed to protect the little girl". In his mind, he feels he may be able to forgive himself if the dog lives to the end of its natural life. That's his idea of redemption.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I think his motivation is, "I gotta save this dog no matter what because I failed to protect the little girl". In his mind, he feels he may be able to forgive himself if the dog lives to the end of its natural life. That's his idea of redemption.
that's still not great, no ?

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020

From the top review there:

This is a bit of a B Low budget movie but it's a decent one.

Apparently, it's a Tubi movie. If they could have worked just a little bit harder on it, it would have been great.

Highlights:

Dan Payne: His opening scene is good. Pretty violent.

Tom Cavanagh is excellent as The Conductor. They could have done so much with his character but alas!

Bruce Willis seems like all his enthusiasm for life has been sucked out of him. I think his agent negotiates like this: "So Bruce is gonna move his mouth a little and utter some words. He's gonna walk, but not too much. And maybe he will lift his arms and move his fingers a little bit. Anything else, that's gonna be $20 million." And so the film makers try their best not to invoke the $20 million clause in his contract.

Jul 27, 2020
Also Bill Murray has the reputation of being a bit of a jerk.... I would bet on whatever he did being completely out of line.
"He was very irresistible, [but he did not touch] any private areas," an insider told PageSix. He "would put one hand around a women, touch her hair, pull her ponytail, but always in a funny way."

Yeah. Don't pull a ponytail unless you know the woman wants you to do that.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i wanted to watch one scene from The Godfather II - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071562/reference/

and obviously wound up watching the whole thing. Still a top quality film, but for some reason i prefer Part I. Excellent performance from Pacino, but the show-stealer is DeNiro as young Michael.

Fun fact: i actually met the production cast of this film; apparently, they were in my house to discuss the production with my father. Didn't get any autographs though, as i was 1 year old and more concerned with not pooping my pants.

8.5/10

Reactions: stargazr

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
eh
I appreciate the comments but i'm neither surprised nor scared.
I love House M.D. which after S05 becomes a train wreck, and i'd still recommend it as a show.
It's absolutely normal that shows degrade in quality at some point, what really matters is, did it have any quality to begin with?? I'm perfectly happy to hunt & peck for good stuff in a bucket of trash, if that's what i need to do.
Loved that show. So many legendary clips.

Sexism against his boss Cuddy. She tolerated it because he was so good and played into a lot of it.

One of my favorite episodes the psychopath that slipped her co-worker a mickey.

Quick quiz, what went on during this exchange.

House to Cuddy: "You owe me $30"
House to Cuddy: '"I owe you $10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Your dad works in Hollywood? So, by extension, do you also?
no, neither.
My dad used to be a film distributor in Italy, and he worked with tons of people in Cinecitta, which is the Italian equivalent of Hollywood, and nearly-as-important of a film studio. The man knew producers, distributors, directors.

As far as i know, they were considering shooting some interior scenes in our house. I grew up in a house that was ginormous, literally owned the entire floor of a building. Our terrace was bigger than most people's houses.

As to how Coppola had come to know of this, i can only speculate. Chances are that they were looking for a whole bunch of extras for the italian-speaking parts. Maybe they were discussing distribution rights, or (most likely) they just wanted hang out.

Jul 27, 2020
As far as i know, they were considering shooting some interior scenes in our house.
If that had happened, your house would have become a historically treasured site. Then a number of things would have happened: daily influx of tourists, beefing up security, buying a new house and using this house as a permanent set for movies or just selling it off for a good profit. At least, that's what comes to my mind.

Jul 27, 2020
In the middle of S02E07 of Better Call Saul. Can't help chuckling uncontrollably. Oh God. The things he does to force his boss to fire him!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The Boys Presents Diabolical 7.5/10

Stand alone anime episodes written by different people (ala Star Wars Visions) set in The Boys universe.

One of the eps is written by model Awkwafina :eek:

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
PIG - 8.5/10 Simple and efficient for telling a badass story without going over the top. Great acting and lovely pig
RIP

Moon fall - 7/10 If you like 2012 you will like it, same thing but much bigger scale.

Jul 27, 2020
Well discovery and Picard are mediocre. (Haven't seen Picard s2 yet)
Discovery seemed too claustrophobic. They re-used sets a lot. Picard was visually better but story could have been better. SNW reminds me more of the Kelvin timeline movies.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
i wanted to watch one scene from The Godfather II - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071562/reference/

and obviously wound up watching the whole thing. Still a top quality film, but for some reason i prefer Part I. Excellent performance from Pacino, but the show-stealer is DeNiro as young Michael.

Fun fact: i actually met the production cast of this film; apparently, they were in my house to discuss the production with my father. Didn't get any autographs though, as i was 1 year old and more concerned with not pooping my pants.

8.5/10
DeNiro played a young Vito.

Reactions: snoopy7548

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Liked "Strange New Worlds" better than I expected to. Hope they can keep it up.

Ozark Ending. What a shitty ending, thought I was watching a rerun of the Sopranos.
Read into it what you will but the kids are taking over from Wendy. What they did to Ruth and then they get away? Or do they and go on with Camila? She is the big winner. All seems possible but no wrap up.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Killing Eve (Season 3): 8/10

Not as good as S1 but loads better than S2.

we get some backstory of the Psycho Blond.
the person who trained her is her new handler. the reason why she (trainer) agreed to this is dumb.

also dumb is that the psycho blond got the promotion she wanted, yet surprised she's doing the same thing.
Why didnt she press the issue right there?!
Killing EVE (Season 4): 3/10
<Final season>

How did it go from the brilliant s3 to this god awful crap from left field?!

it was like they just rebooted the story line and ignored almost everything in the past 3 seasons.

What drew me to the show was the inventive, creative blond assassin and the ways she killed people.

- Dont understand how it went from the ending of S3 to the assassin now being a born again Christian?!
- The star of the show no longer works for MI6 but for private security yet can disappear for days/weeks at a time chasing 'The 12'.
- and The chief handler of the assassins torturing her bosses dead to find the head of the organization?! But i have no idea why.

Why did Eve kill that old guy in cold blood?!
made no sense and was out of character for her.

S4 was a hodge podge of WTF

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Moon Racer .. eh .. no, Moon Knight. Yes.
Last episode. Nice.

In the end the story wasn't as satisfying as i had hoped, but still a very enjoyable series.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Moon Fall.

I knew it was going to be bad, but the wife and kids wanted to watch it anyways (they like end of the world action movies).

Even with my extremely low expectations going in, it somehow managed to be even worse. I need a drink to numb my mind.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.