NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 918 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i've been binge-watching a show i didnt know existed (which is many) but found some snippets of on youtube, and like the acting of the main character, so,

The Blacklist - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2741602/reference/

it's kinda silly to review it here as it's from 10 years ago and you all probably know it better than i do, but i like it.
The character with a god complex isn't easy to write, or rather, it's easy to write for a few episodes, but not easy to stretch it out for years, e.g. Person Of Interest. It either becomes repetitive, or the situation escalates to the point where it becomes unbelievable.
... aaand instead The Blacklist is very watchable, i'm up to S03 and i've yet to start to hate it, so, success? Another full six years of episodes to go, but got pretty good hopes.

(i still haven't watched The Wire. I hear that one's pretty good too?)

Reactions: MtnMan
Jul 27, 2020
Earlier than that, IMO, but Spader the reason that show is worth watching.
He has aged pretty badly in the last few seasons. I don't know if he put on extra weight just to look unwell for the part or if he has no interest in living a long life or if he's just eating/drinking himself to death. It just saddens me to see him in this condition.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i've been binge-watching a show i didnt know existed (which is many) but found some snippets of on youtube, and like the acting of the main character, so,

The Blacklist - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2741602/reference/

it's kinda silly to review it here as it's from 10 years ago and you all probably know it better than i do, but i like it.
The character with a god complex isn't easy to write, or rather, it's easy to write for a few episodes, but not easy to stretch it out for years, e.g. Person Of Interest. It either becomes repetitive, or the situation escalates to the point where it becomes unbelievable.
... aaand instead The Blacklist is very watchable, i'm up to S03 and i've yet to start to hate it, so, success? Another full six years of episodes to go, but got pretty good hopes.
the star Megan Boone quit after season8.
no idea the real reason why.

show has been picked up for season10 despite no more eye candy on the show. (Meagan was the only pretty re-occurring female)

Jul 27, 2020

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
eh
I appreciate the comments but i'm neither surprised nor scared.
I love House M.D. which after S05 becomes a train wreck, and i'd still recommend it as a show.
It's absolutely normal that shows degrade in quality at some point, what really matters is, did it have any quality to begin with?? I'm perfectly happy to hunt & peck for good stuff in a bucket of trash, if that's what i need to do.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Spencer 6/10

Didn't know Diana had this many mental issues. The highlights of the movie are the picturesque shots of the stunning English countryside and a dreamy sequence at the end. Kristen Stewart is so badly miscast in this role but she tries her best. She has a limited range of facial expressions and dialogue delivery methods that confine her acting ability.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Dr. Strangelove (1963, released on Jan. 30, 1964) 9.5/10

Seen this around 5 times, but right now it has extra meaning. Never saw the extras before and this time I followed it with the Making of, which was made around 2000, evidently, at least the interviews. I recommend watching the Making of too. So much you wouldn't guess, like Kubrick's deep interest in the nuclear destruction possibilities of the cold war. They said he'd read about 50 books concerning this prior to taking on the project, which only took on the comic/satirical aspects when he came to realize that it was impossible to do it any other way, which was a ways in. Also worth watching are the separate interviews done at the time of filming of Sellers and George C. Scott. Brief but amazing, especially Sellers'.

They'd planned the release to allow Oscar consideration in 1963, didn't happen:

The screening for critics had been scheduled for Nov. 22, 1963, the day JFK was killed. Of course, they cancelled that and didn't feel OK about the movie release until 01/30/64.

Rotten Tomatoes rating in 1999:

Reviews counted: 43
Fresh: 43 Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 9.2/10

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ozark's last half of the final season started out with one of the best episodes possibly ever on the show, and went completely downhill from there and ended with a Game of Thrones feeling of just being super rushed.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm curious as to what happened here:

I'm not surprised... an old-school actor like Bill Murray isn't going to have much patience with the hyper woke rules of modern Hollywood.

Without knowing what actually transpired might be a bit early to ascribe the issue to somebody being " hyper woke". This is not exactly an industry without a long history of flatly problematic or illegal behavior.

Jul 27, 2020

On Saturday, the actor told CNBC’s Becky Quick that he had a “difference of opinion” with a woman he was working with on the film, saying, “I did something I thought was funny and it wasn’t taken that way.”

Seems more like the woman didn't appreciate the joke and went Will Smith. I wager she won't accept an apology unless it involves her getting financially compensated for the "horrible" and "emotionally traumatic" joke Murray subjected her to.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Ozark's last half of the final season started out with one of the best episodes possibly ever on the show, and went completely downhill from there and ended with a Game of Thrones feeling of just being super rushed.
doh.. i only watched the 1st episode of season 4 part 1. (not the 1st episode of s4, part 2)
should i not even bother to continue and save the fond memories of Ozark s1-3?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
doh.. i only watched the 1st episode of season 4 part 1. (not the 1st episode of s4, part 2)
should i not even bother to continue and save the fond memories of Ozark s1-3?
I'd still watch it I'm just one person with one opinion. It isn't even close to being as bad as like The Walking Dead and how stupid that show got. It's still good.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Moon Knight EP05 - decent.
It's dropped in quality since the first 2 episodes. The talking hippo was almost comic relief which doesnt fit with the overall tone. Some good things, some problems with pacing.
It's still a good show, nothing like, say, Luke Cage plummeting in quality from a 8 to a 6 within 3 episodes.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Death On The Nile - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7657566/reference/

ridiculously boring. I was gonna put a video of some actually-decent-actor playing Poirot here, but i realized that every actor that's ever played Poirot has done a better job, or at least, was in a less boring film.
You know when you see Russel Brand being cast in a serious film that the production team was boofing cocaine, i can maybe forgive the casting of "Man Of The Hour" Gal Gadot, but jumping jesus christ on a pogostick, you dont give Russell Brand a speaking role if not in comedy.
Anyway, direction and camerawork are abysmal, the acting is all over the place as is in most incompetent period-drama films, lead man Kenneth Branagh is wooden and devoid of any expression in most of the film, and then decides to - for some reason - replace Poirot's classic grand finale deduction with anger instead of the characteristic smugness.
Agatha Christie is spinning in her grave.

5.5/10

bonus feature: a Poirot better than Brnagh's

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Finch - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3420504/reference/

imagine you watched a film with a proper plot, it was good, you enjoyed the story and you now relate to the characters, and then there is that post-ending scene where one character moralizes about what everything really meant, AND THEN MAKE A 2 HOUR FILM OUT OF THAT.

Finch is the story of Finch, a guy. He was a technician, and because of this he is one of the last surviving people in a global-warming apocalyptic scenario. Finch builds two robots, a small one to carry stuff for him, and a big, human-sized robot because ... mostly because he can, but also because he has a dog, and Finch is dying. And he wants the big robot to take care of the dog.

That's it. That's all of the film. There is no other plot. There's no antagonists, the story does not develop in any meaningful way.

5.5/10 or 6/10 idk, i guess the film has some decent visuals but everything else is bland, if not offensive as today's Death On The Nile was. They both get to the same score via different routes.
Castaway is a masterpiece, compared to this.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Finch - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3420504/reference/

imagine you watched a film with a proper plot, it was good, you enjoyed the story and you now relate to the characters, and then there is that post-ending scene where one character moralizes about what everything really meant, AND THEN MAKE A 2 HOUR FILM OUT OF THAT.

Finch is the story of Finch, a guy. He was a technician, and because of this he is one of the last surviving people in a global-warming apocalyptic scenario. Finch builds two robots, a small one to carry stuff for him, and a big, human-sized robot because ... mostly because he can, but also because he has a dog, and Finch is dying. And he wants the big robot to take care of the dog.

That's it. That's all of the film. There is no other plot. There's no antagonists, the story does not develop in any meaningful way.

5.5/10 or 6/10 idk, i guess the film has some decent visuals but everything else is bland, if not offensive as today's Death On The Nile was. They both get to the same score via different routes.
Castaway is a masterpiece, compared to this.

I tried twice to make it through that movie before my Apple TV ran out. Perhaps the worst Tom Hanks movie I've ever seen. Thanks for the summary-I guess I'm not the only person who thought it was totally pointless.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i washed my eyes with 1883 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13991232/reference/

which may be a bit long, but waaaaaaaaay better than any of the shit i've been watching these days.
S01E08 - 09 - 10
over the season, the role of protagonist shifts from Sam Elliott (moustache guy) to Isabel May, and, you know, i'm ok with that. I'm ok as well with some of the sentimentalism that comes with this, because her story makes sense in the general picture. For those who haven't watched it, it's a period drama centered around the great western migration; a group of european settlers pay a group of hardened prairie-men to guide them to Oregon, "where the land is still free". The trip is hard and the euros are untrained.
The main plot of the first part of season 1 is how these poor bastards die of everything the West has to throw at them - dysentery, rattlesnakes, smallpox, indian attacks, drowning, and so on. Gradually, one of the secondary characters, a young, beautiful blonde named Elsa (May) becomes more prominent; her first love is killed, and she "wakes up" and takes charge of her life. She falls for a stud indian (which pissed off a lot of racists on IMDb), learns to kill stuff, etc. Ofc there are love scenes and sentimental scenes where once there was only rough burly men pulling wagons, but 1. it keeps the story from becoming stale, 2. it's well executed, 3. the quasi- Dances With Wolves themes are actually interesting.

Reactions: stargazr

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Without knowing what actually transpired might be a bit early to ascribe the issue to somebody being " hyper woke". This is not exactly an industry without a long history of flatly problematic or illegal behavior.

Also Bill Murray has the reputation of being a bit of a jerk.... I would bet on whatever he did being completely out of line.

Status
Not open for further replies.