NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 91 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Promethius - 9/10 - The only reason I did not give it a 10/10 is because it was not scary enough. It had a solid plot and didn't have many holes. Yes, it had a few holes but I could live with them. Overall it was an interesting sci fi movie. I hope there is a sequel.

This will change. Count on it.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
The grey. 15 min into the movie I had to turn it off. if a movie does not perk my interest in the first 5 min is over. all i remember is some dude mumbling and shooting wolves then gets on a airplane... thats when i hit the eject button.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
zombieland.. i say 7.5/10
- chic is hot, emma stone is hawt
- everyone is pretty funny
- storyline was so so

just wish there were more zombie action scenes

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
I've seen numerous examples of people that initially enjoyed it, then gradually came to dislike it after thinking about it for a few days.

Why are you projecting your stupid opinion onto others? If he liked it, he liked it. Even after reading the entire Prometheus thread with overthinking smug putzes with 1,001 theories such as yourself, it still hasn't changed my opinion/rating of the movie (very high and on par with the original Alien where both excelled in different areas). Grow up and accept that others can have differing opinions.

That said, Game of Thrones, Season 1 - 8/10: Good character development and suspense. Thought there would be more sex but can't win em all. It was refreshing that it wasn't entirely predictable such as
Ned's death
. Overall I'm looking forward to the second season when it's released on DVD (no I'm not paying for cable ever again :)). My only complaint is that they added magic; I think this series could stand alone without it. Luckily it's just a touch here and there so not a huge deal. Really liked the Jon Snow and Imp characters.

Desperate Housewives, Season 1 - 7/10: Twisting and turning storyline was good but very predictable, it rarely threw me for a loop. The attractive ladies bumped it up 1, total Marcia Cross and Teri Hatcher hotness.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
The grey. 15 min into the movie I had to turn it off. if a movie does not perk my interest in the first 5 min is over. all i remember is some dude mumbling and shooting wolves then gets on a airplane... thats when i hit the eject button.

I just watched it last night. I thought it was pretty good, but I could have lived without Liam Neeson's backstory. And I wasn't a huge fan of the ending. More tense action movie, less melodrama.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Jeff, Who Lives at Home - 2/10: Really not what I was expecting (based on the actors) and not especially enjoyable. Lots of indie movie cliches (multiple music montages to stupid activities, weird "random connected events", artsy scenes with no dialogue). Not much in the way of comedy.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I just watched it last night. I thought it was pretty good, but I could have lived without Liam Neeson's backstory. And I wasn't a huge fan of the ending. More tense action movie, less melodrama.

Did you watch past the credits? I liked the ending a little bit more because of the scene they snuck in there. Might not make a huge difference to you, but it does answer a question...

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Why are you projecting your stupid opinion onto others? If he liked it, he liked it. Even after reading the entire Prometheus thread with overthinking smug putzes with 1,001 theories such as yourself, it still hasn't changed my opinion/rating of the movie (very high and on par with the original Alien where both excelled in different areas). Grow up and accept that others can have differing opinions.

Saw it happen multiple times in that thread. I tried not to say anything about the movie to my sister other than: "Yes. I think you should watch it." A couple days after seeing it, my sister spontaneously said: "You know what? I liked that movie at first; but the more I think about it, the more I don't like it." I told her that she's echoing the same thing I've heard from many other people online. My brother and I also felt the same way.

Last edited:

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - 7/10

Typical Romance-Comedy with a slight twist - Earth-ending asteroid due to arrive in 3 weeks. It was cute and a bit dark at times, but hit most of the RomCom staples - stiff insurance-selling corporate drone meets devil-may-care hippie girl and gets thrown into an unlikely partnership. Cheesy at times, sad, heartwarming, and more than a tad dark. You could certainly do worse. Keira Knightley was a pretty likable character, to boot. Also despite being more improbable, it still had less stupid plot holes than Prometheus (but still had them.) :D

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Thor - 5/10

A couple funny parts. Story wasn't very interesting. Thor spends most of his time dressed as a normal guy, hanging out with normal people, and having no power. It seems like they spent the entire budget on CG for the fantasy locations and just shot the rest in a couple days. Perhaps they chose to shoot in a small desert town because it was a cheap place to shoot a movie...? Didn't like Natalie Portman's character at all.

Interesting how so many of the actors and characters were consistent between this movie and The Avengers (even the smaller roles).

I guess it's serviceable to introduce people to the Thor character before watching The Avengers. Not required, though.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Thor - 5/10

A couple funny parts. Story wasn't very interesting. Thor spends most of his time dressed as a normal guy, hanging out with normal people, and having no power. It seems like they spent the entire budget on CG for the fantasy locations and just shot the rest in a couple days. Perhaps they chose to shoot in a small desert town because it was a cheap place to shoot a movie...? Didn't like Natalie Portman's character at all.

Interesting how so many of the actors and characters were consistent between this movie and The Avengers (even the smaller roles).

I guess it's serviceable to introduce people to the Thor character before watching The Avengers. Not required, though.

A shame Portman's character couldn't be "ported" into Avengers but she's obviously too expensive.

RE: small desert town = cheap place to shoot, they actually built that town from scratch, it was pretty amazing. It's on the blu-ray extras. I gained a new appreciation for the film after seeing all that went into that town set, asgard set, and the costumes. A lot of it was made from scratch. All in all, not a great film but entertaining and liked how they kept most of it true to the original comics (silver-->modern age).

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Super 8 - 0/10

I went into this anticipating a well-made homage to Spielberg's classic hits.

I didn't get that. This might be the worst movie I've ever seen.

Good kid-oriented movies exist, don't they?

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Super 8 - 0/10

I went into this anticipating a well-made homage to Spielberg's classic hits.

I didn't get that. This might be the worst movie I've ever seen.

Good kid-oriented movies exist, don't they?

Wow, if you gave Super Eight a zero I wonder how you could go any lower for any of Uwe Boll's movies which are definitely several steps below Super Eight.

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
I actually like Uwe Boll's flicks better than Super 8. If you watch them for what they are, they are decent

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter - 6.5/10 - It's pretty safe to say that I love me some action movies. You throw in a bit of injustice and a man (or woman -- no sexism here) with just enough "bad-assery" to fix it, and I'm game. When I saw that this movie was the pairing of Tim Tu... Tim Turb... ah fuck it, the director of Wanted with the author, Seth Grahame-Smith, as the screenplay writer, I was definitely a bit enthused that we'd have a great movie on our hands. However, while watching this movie, it became pretty apparent that while the movie had some great and stylized action scenes (similar to the aforementioned Wanted), I never really got pulled into the story.

That's kind of strange for me, because as is evident by the trailers for the movie, the movie starts off with a vampire killing Abraham's mother. This is a great point in which a movie can let you in by showing the vulnerability of the hero (a time of great sadness); however, the movie doesn't do this. Although, I think they reference this later on when -- and don't worry, this isn't a spoiler -- Abe says something along the lines of "I've never cried."

Couple that with the fact that the story was actually a bit weak in places, and I think it's a bit more obvious why I wasn't as enthused. One of the things that I found a bit hard was why Abe was written to be so clueless throughout the movie. The one that sticks out to me the most is how
he never noticed that his mentor, Henry, is also a vampire. You could say that Abe was pretty battered when Henry threw the creepy guy up the facade of a building, and that's a fair point. However, what about the lackadaisical reveal later on? It only serves to tell Henry's back story, but has very little actual dramatic tension associated with it.

Hmm on second thought, maybe I need to stick to my rule of never seeing movies when I'm tired. :p

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Moonrise Kingdom - 7/10
I did enjoy the movie. It was cute and sweet, but I thought it tried a little too hard to be "quirky." Guess that's typical for Wes Anderson, or so I've heard (this is the first of his movies that I've seen). There were lots of lines that were apparently meant to be jokes because the rest of the audience kept laughing, but they just fell flat with me.

That said, I still liked it and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a cute feel-good movie. My wife thought it was too cartoony at times, but that didn't bother me much.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - 6/10
Another feel-good summer flick, this one with old people instead of kids. Again, it will make you all warm and fuzzy inside but as I was watching it I couldn't help but think of it as "stuff white people like - the movie." A good choice if, like me, you have an overly emotional pregnant wife who can't handle too much drama.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000

It was just about to get real.

GREAT movie.

chari

Oct 14, 2004
21 Jump Street - 8/10 - Plot is iffy but some really hilarious moments. Had me laughing for the duration.

Jeff, who lives at home - 4/10 - Loved the cast, but the movie was bland and unimaginative. Not the greatest and tries too hard to be indie.

Status
Not open for further replies.