NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 88 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Source Code.

0/10

Insults the intelligence of the viewer. This movie makes science fiction utterly unbelievable.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
Night Watch / Day Watch - 10/10

This is by far the best series I have ever watched. How it's taken me this long to see them is beyond me,
maybe someone Chalked me out of it?
The best way to describe this is: warring secret factions of night creatures + plots & schemes + brilliant fight scenes + really involved love story. Also, everything is in Russian which make this just that more badass. Oddly, Night Watch is on Netflix Streaming and Day Watch is on Amazon Video. Happily, I have both. I am so buying these on Blu for my library.

Sep 29, 2004
Saw Night Watch a few months ago. It was awesome except it seemed to drag out at the end for me.

I did not know about Day Watch. Must find .....

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Alien 8.5/10

Watched this in anticipation of eventually seeing Prometheus in a couple weeks since I hate going to see a movie early in it's release. Picked up the Alien Anthology on Blu-ray so watched it on that and it's a great movie. Plus the quality of the Blu- ray transfer is excellent. I haven't seen it in many years and it was better than I remember it. It starts off slow which is why I deducted some points but after the extremely slow beginning, it's awesome after that. Better than part two but they really are different movies. One is more of a thriller/horror and part two is pure action. I'll watch all four movies before I go see Prometheus.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Alien 8.5/10

Watched this in anticipation of eventually seeing Prometheus in a couple weeks since I hate going to see a movie early in it's release. Picked up the Alien Anthology on Blu-ray so watched it on that and it's a great movie. Plus the quality of the Blu- ray transfer is excellent. I haven't seen it in many years and it was better than I remember it. It starts off slow which is why I deducted some points but after the extremely slow beginning, it's awesome after that. Better than part two but they really are different movies. One is more of a thriller/horror and part two is pure action. I'll watch all four movies before I go see Prometheus.
I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy the Blu-ray 4 movie anthology. I have the first 2 on DVD, haven't seen the others, which I figure to be "inferior." I heard that the BD version is very good in terms of transfer, BD quality, but there are other things I can get with my money, things I haven't seen in any form that I figure should get priority.

I watched Moneyball for the first time, just finished less than an hour ago. Man, I didn't know it was about that season when the Athletics won 20 games in a row. I was right here in Berkeley when that happened and was aware of the streak. I didn't want to miss the chance to witness history in person and I went to that last game of the streak, the only sporting event I attended in person in a loooooong time and indeed, the last one I've gone to! I was there in the right field bleachers and witnessed the events depicted in the movie. While watched that reenactment this afternoon I was actually looking for myself in the stands, but all but maybe one brief shot was a reenactment.

Brad Pitt was really good!!! Phillip Seymour Hoffman, well, it's hard to find a better actor on the planet. I was bored for a few moments, but by and large it was quite a good movie.

Last edited:

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Columbiana - 4/10

Zoe Sladana is sorta hot, but that won't carry a movie by itself. A crime/revenge thriller rife with cringe-worthy "scream at the screen" moments, Columbiana is produced in a slick style that could fool an inattentive watcher into thinking it has some grit and substance. So - If you must watch don't pay too much attention to what's going on. Just let it waft over you.

Mobster protip - don't stand on top of a glass shark tank when you know you're being stalked by an assassin.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
John Carter - 8/10
Not as bad as people would lead you to believe.

Safe House - 9/10
Normally a movie with Ryan Reynolds would deduct 4 points off, but Denzel makes it interesting. Pretty solid movie, although everything is kinda telegraphed. These kinds of movies always go a certain way, but enjoyable none the less.

Apocalypto - 9/10
Frickin Mayans! Very well done, although I would have preferred to have kept the mental image of the idealized Mayans, which is now replaced with these bastards!

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen - 3.5/10

In my defense, Netflix was having issues (26Mb/s from testmy, but lots of buffering), and the only other thing on was Independence Day, which, while better, I could watch w/o commercials, time editing, or audio compression, any time I want.

It had some good comic relief throughout, but was otherwise exactly the bad movie I expected it to be.

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001

Apocalypto - 9/10
Frickin Mayans! Very well done, although I would have preferred to have kept the mental image of the idealized Mayans, which is now replaced with these bastards!

One of my favorite subtitled movies of all time! Awesome action throughout.

Drive - 8/10 - Loved it from the beginning. Love the style and the writing. I wish there was more dialog and there are a few horrifically violent scenes that seem almost out of place with the rest of the movie but when it was over I wanted to watch it again. Carey Mulligan is sofa king cute!

Twelve and Holding - 7/10 - Finally watched it via my Netflix instant queue. Story about a group of friends and their lives after one of them is killed. The one that's killed has a twin brother. It was well acted by the kids and they are the movie. The story is about about their lives individually and has very little interaction between them which i wish there would have been more of. Still though...a good movie and twist I did not see coming.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Loved Apocalypto too, very brutal, one of a very few movies that got some emotions out of me. The scene at the Mayan temples...man, scary!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Night Watch / Day Watch - 10/10

This is by far the best series I have ever watched. How it's taken me this long to see them is beyond me,
maybe someone Chalked me out of it?
The best way to describe this is: warring secret factions of night creatures + plots & schemes + brilliant fight scenes + really involved love story. Also, everything is in Russian which make this just that more badass. Oddly, Night Watch is on Netflix Streaming and Day Watch is on Amazon Video. Happily, I have both. I am so buying these on Blu for my library.

This is an excellent series. The reason Day Watch drags out some is that it actually covers books 2 and 3 (Twilight Watch). The same director that did these did Wanted. You can easily recognize his style (I noticed it w/o even knowing he had done the movie).

He's also doing the Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter movie --- odd. lol

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
the woman in black

4/10

for a star actor Daniel Radclif lines were very light. all i remember him doing is running around with a "concerned" look. if this was his break out role from harry potter he is doomed.

I just watched The Woman in Black as well. I'd give it maybe a 5/10 - it's worth a watch on Netflix, but not a purchase or rental for me. The ending was completely unsatisfying, which is a pity because the story had a lot of potential. It really bugs me when they drop the endings on creepy movies like that - Dark Water, Knowing, etc., where they could have had an epic ending but just bomb it. Like dinner with no dessert :(

Also did you notice there was only like, 10 people in the whole film?

And one more critique...nomination for worst green screen shot of 2012 (the shot when they were driving in the car) :biggrin: I think the fake backgrounds in Seinfeld looked better than in this movie lol.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Getting my internet upgraded tonight. I can actually stream in HD now. Anything on Netflix I should check out?
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix/index.php?ft=&fg=&fm=&fp=&s=X

That's usually my first stop, to see if anything interesting is expiring, soon.

IMO, animation is all that categorically benefits from their "HD" streaming. The only ones I can recall definitely having it, though, weren't that good.
P.S. I actually went and looked, including what I'd already watched outside of Netflix, and there is some good stuff, like:
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Soul Eater
Various Ghost in the Shell titles
Ga-Rei Zero
Basilisk

I've seen non-HD live action every bit as good as "HD," and the "HD" selection is fairly sparse, too, IME. There's also WWII in HD, which I would hope gets their "HD" streaming treatment.

Last edited:

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy the Blu-ray 4 movie anthology. I have the first 2 on DVD, haven't seen the others, which I figure to be "inferior." I heard that the BD version is very good in terms of transfer, BD quality, but there are other things I can get with my money, things I haven't seen in any form that I figure should get priority.

I snagged Alien Anthology for $29.99 on Amazon Wednesday; It was their Deal of the Day. Even if I had paid their normal price, all the bonus discs and MU-TH-UR interaction more than make up for A3 & Resurrection.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Naa, ya really don't...:hmm:

:hmm:

I snagged Alien Anthology for $29.99 on Amazon Wednesday; It was their Deal of the Day. Even if I had paid their normal price, all the bonus discs and MU-TH-UR interaction more than make up for A3 & Resurrection.

That Alien Blu-ray by itself is worth the thirty bones; you can just throw all of the other discs away and it's still a great deal. Amazing movie and amazing transfer.

KT

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
This is an excellent series. The reason Day Watch drags out some is that it actually covers books 2 and 3 (Twilight Watch). The same director that did these did Wanted. You can easily recognize his style (I noticed it w/o even knowing he had done the movie).

He's also doing the Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter movie --- odd. lol

I'm still waiting for AL:VH to come to a RedBox near me. The closest one (last I checked) was across State lines.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

That Alien Blu-ray by itself is worth the thirty bones; you can just throw all of the other discs away and it's still a great deal. Amazing movie and amazing transfer.

KT

Alien and Aliens on BD have been $10 at Best Buy for weeks, and they both include $10 off a ticket for Prometheus.

Last edited:

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

KT

Agreed, totally worth it. I watched it last night, and holy hell what an amazing movie (had only seen it as a kid). Easily a 9/10 movie.

However, I was kind of perplexed as to what the hell the Alien was doing in her shuttle though. Was it asleep? Wounded? Why didn't it attack her right off the bat when she stumbled upon it?

Status
Not open for further replies.