NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 818 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i watched:

Saving Private Ryan But It's Ten Hours Long - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185906/

gets some bonus points for being historically accurate (sort of) but otherwise not terribly interesting. Also, not sure why the washed out colors on everything.
"Watch these guy do war for 10 hours for no particular reason"

7/10 - if you are into that kinda stuff

You are dead inside, aren't you?

And no, silly, everyone knows that Bradley Cooper's clone is Josh Lucas.

d10c2bec1d79ef37cf98d23680600c0d.jpg

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i'm trying to watch Vice - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6266538/

but i am finding it boring. or maybe i'm too tired. A young Republican's quest to stand for all the typical midwestern values isn't really my idea of a interesting subject.

Why am i even watching this film? Well, it's directed by the guy who directed The Big Short, a film i like waaaay too much. I mean, really, you could only improve that film by having the scene with Margot Robbie changed so she stands up from her bubble bath, fully nude. But otherwise an impeccable film.

And this film has some of the same actors too; Christian Bale plays Dick Cheney himself, Amy Admas plays the wife, Steve Carrell is donald rumsfeld, Sam Rockwell is dubbya (i know right?), but ..

Big Short has the flawless flowing from one scene to another. I was hoping for more of the same, but here not so much.

I'll give it another go after i've had some sleep, but my initial tentative review score is 6/10.

Nov 20, 2009
Just watched Band of Brothers for the upteenth time. 9/10. This followed the HBO series Pure, which is a knockoff, IMO, of Amazon Prime's Fleabag. I give it a 6/10.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I tried watching "Away" on Netflix. It's pretty bad. It's got all the typical problems that you'll see with bad low budget Sci-Fi dramas: There is sound in outer space, the astronauts can talk to their friends and relatives from millions of miles away in real time, and everyone is talking on a 2019-era iPhone. That's kind of odd, considering that this is supposed to be happening at some point in the future when NASA has the availability to send people to Mars. The astronauts also seem to hate each other, causing a bunch of unnecessary drama.

I'm going for a 5/10 for this one.
I'm up to E6. I kinda like it although not the best space movie. I don't remember the "sound" in outer space. Will have to go back to space walk. A little overused cliché interactions. I chuckled a little at the stereotype joke overbearing Asian parents. Mother from ship talking to son and father back home. Kid tells mother he got 98 on math exam. Father next to him annoyed and says next time you get 100. Family Guy had same bit but funnier. My favorite character is the Russian.

So far I give it a 6.5-7/10

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm up to E6. I kinda like it although not the best space movie. I don't remember the "sound" in outer space. Will have to go back to space walk. A little overused cliché interactions. I chuckled a little at the stereotype joke overbearing Asian parents. Mother from ship talking to son and father back home. Kid tells mother he got 98 on math exam. Father next to him annoyed and says next time you get 100. Family Guy had same bit but funnier. My favorite character is the Russian.

So far I give it a 6.5-7/10

The example I was using was the rocket launch on the moon. Looked pretty, but totally fake because there is no atmosphere on the moon.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
31 seasons completed. i was 15 when the first episode aired.
IMDb rating for all episodes to S28
p0or3k2rv6dz.jpg

The 4th season through the 6th season appears to be "peak Simpsons". Makes sense, as the 4th season was the one with "The Monorail" in it. Best. Episode. Ever. :)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The 4th season through the 6th season appears to be "peak Simpsons". Makes sense, as the 4th season was the one with "The Monorail" in it. Best. Episode. Ever. :)
thats what many fans consider to be the golden era as well as most of the critics. Simpsons Mania was not yet worn out. The animation was much improved over the early years. the writers were really on top of their game (I think those were the Conan O'Brian years). The guest stars actually contributed to the story. And most importantly, the show had heart.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I've been watching Devs on Hulu, since Verizon decided to start giving it away with Disney+ and ESPN+ for Verizon Unlimited subscribers.

It has a Mr. Robot type vibe to it, where it often leaves the viewer guessing what in the hell is going on. It also has a believability issue with some technology being shown being about 30 years ahead of our time, even though the rest of the world seems to be in the 2020 timeline. I also don't find the main character to be all that likable, either... something about her just grates on my nerves. It's usually not a good sign when you find yourself rooting for the bad guys to win just three episodes into a season :) I'll give the show a 6.5 out of 10. Maybe it will grow on me as a watch it more.

Update: It did grow on me a bit more near the end. I'll give an extra point just for the amount of mind screwing going on, and give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Hulu as a service itself kinda sucks. It seems that you're stuck at low resolution streaming when you watch it on a web browser, but when you watch it on a TV you end up with 90 second ad breaks every 15 minutes. I can't believe that someone would actually pay for a subscription to this. 3/10 for Hulu in general.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
a friend of mine is busting my bawls to watch The Patriot, is it worth it ?

The Mel Gibson movie? why?

It is literally Braveheart in the American Revolution. Beat for beat, literal character for fricking character. It's crazy how he just reskinned all the Braveheart characters and tossed them in revolutionary America to make that movie.

So, if you enjoyed Braveheart, you'll probably enjoy this...and it is a Mel Gibson movie, so he does have a successful formula. :\

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched TWICE a film called Valley of The Gods - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4523530/

why twice?

Well, i put it on last night, and decided i would watch this before bed. I was also doing some other stuff like upvoting dank memes, and keeping an ear out for the film to start.
Which took 24 minutes. For 24 minutes there was no dialogue. I turned my head to see wtf was happening on the screen, and
1. the first time i saw a white-guy archeologist in the field, examining the landscape
2. the second time i see a dark faceless figure in a tattered robe, trying to sneak out of what appears to be a dark alley / Dark City kinda scenario, complete with secret door passage.
3. the first spoke words were of a butler, in a huge Batman-like mansion.
4. a group of destitute Natives on a reservations are angry at everything (again, no dialogue)
5. 27 minutes - the first actual dialogue. I think white guy's wife is dumping him.

i basically fell asleep with the understanding that there was more to this film and i needed to pay attention.

I was wrong.

Roger Ebert gave it 3 stars https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/valley-of-the-gods-movie-review-2020

What you got is .. a beautifully made art film, with no real meaning. Or, you know, with soooo much meaning, only us common folk cannot understand it, because you have to be a sexually frustrated pseudo-intellectual to truly appreciate this.

But, i am no troglodyte. While i do appreciate art film, i am spoiled in expecting an art film to have a story.

Valley of The Gods is really well made, the photography is shockingly good, the audio - surprisingly - is also really excellent, and when possible, it is also well acted, but it could have been so much more if it had a good script, instead of NO SCRIPT.

my vote: 6/10 - snobby head-up-ass art film that is its own worst enemy.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
i watched TWICE a film called Valley of The Gods - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4523530/

why twice?

Well, i put it on last night, and decided i would watch this before bed. I was also doing some other stuff like upvoting dank memes, and keeping an ear out for the film to start.
Which took 24 minutes. For 24 minutes there was no dialogue. I turned my head to see wtf was happening on the screen, and
1. the first time i saw a white-guy archeologist in the field, examining the landscape
2. the second time i see a dark faceless figure in a tattered robe, trying to sneak out of what appears to be a dark alley / Dark City kinda scenario, complete with secret door passage.
3. the first spoke words were of a butler, in a huge Batman-like mansion.
4. a group of destitute Natives on a reservations are angry at everything (again, no dialogue)
5. 27 minutes - the first actual dialogue. I think white guy's wife is dumping him.

i basically fell asleep with the understanding that there was more to this film and i needed to pay attention.

I was wrong.

Roger Ebert gave it 3 stars https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/valley-of-the-gods-movie-review-2020

What you got is .. a beautifully made art film, with no real meaning. Or, you know, with soooo much meaning, only us common folk cannot understand it, because you have to be a sexually frustrated pseudo-intellectual to truly appreciate this.

But, i am no troglodyte. While i do appreciate art film, i am spoiled in expecting an art film to have a story.

Valley of The Gods is really well made, the photography is shockingly good, the audio - surprisingly - is also really excellent, and when possible, it is also well acted, but it could have been so much more if it had a good script, instead of NO SCRIPT.

my vote: 6/10 - snobby head-up-ass art film that is its own worst enemy.

Uh... Roger Ebert died in 2013. The film came out in 2019.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
keeping up with the theme of valleys, i watched The Last Valley - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065969/

went into it blind, and it took me quite a few double-takes before i recognized Michael Caine in the lead role, with a convincing swiss accent.
Sir Caine plays The Captain, head of a group of mercenaries in the Hundred Years War. They come upon a valley in the .. alps, probably, looting and pillaging their way through.
Omar Sharif plays Vogel, a teacher, the voice of reason that stands between the ignorant and god-fearing villagers and the lucid but cruel Captain.
The Captain is persuaded to spare the village, to instead hole up in this valley untouched by the war, famine and pestilence that's ravaging the world. The uneasy truce leads to tensions and conflicts, but also to wisdom, and maybe, love.

I don't have any production notes on this film, but the photography is pretty good. Some initial shock where the first villagers are clearly italian (i can tell by the horrid accent), but in the very next scene a character who is supposed to be italian, is actually american (again.. accent). But aside from this, the film is well made, if not particularly interesting. Michael Caine as always put in a good performance, and plays a reasonably interesting character. The main theme of the story is religious obscurantism, ignorance, fear, and the uncertainty of life, which leads to make difficult choices. The ending is a bit forced, but otherwise the story flows decently well, if not snappy.

You won't miss much if you don't see it, your run 'o' the mill 1970s costume film, well made as they all used to be, but a bit too basic when it comes to the principal elements - story, acting, characters.

6.5/10 - vaguely entertaining "oldies" film

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Today I'm watching Long Way Up, a documentary (more like a badly planned infomercial turned disaster comedy) on Apple+ of two guys driving from the tip of South America to the US using prototype electric vehicles.

Unfortunately, it seems that nobody on their production team bothered to learn how electric vehicles worked before leaving, so they left in the middle of South American winter and spent most of their time in the first three episodes running out of electricity WAY ahead of schedule and getting charged by a rescue truck with a big diesel generator.

ExxonMobil should show clips of this show during their next annual meeting. It would probably make their stock go up 20% overnight.

The show looks pretty, anyway. I'll give it a 4 out 10. I'm hoping that Elon Musk watches this insanity and feels inspired to do this trip in a Cybertruck correctly and with proper planning next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.