NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 447 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
because horror = scary and t1 != scary. very simple formula.

by your definition, aladdin would be a horror movie. (yes, stretching a bit)

Cameron has said it was based on slasher movies and horror, just done with a robot instead of a serial killer.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
T1 is a horror flick.

softy.

back on movie track...

the perfect guy - 4/10 - really was nothing else at redbox i hadn't seen on bluray so i snagged this, and it was pretty dumb and basically what i expected. the main chick has a smokin body though. them titties...

Sep 29, 2004
Star Wars - Episode 1 - 5/10 - I honestly do not know what to think. I watched it for the most part but unlike normal, if I left to make popcorn I didn't pause the movie. I let it keep going. The movie is too long. The CGI quite frankly looks like crap (especially by today's standards). Overall though the story wasn't bad, just confusing. Decent concept with horrible execution. And for Christ's sake, when telling a narrative you don't need all these visual distractions. Way to many items exist during battle sequences. Ya, wow you can create 10,000 ships or soldiers in CGI. Which ones matter to the narrative though? Oh, I had no emotional attachment to any characters. And way to often you could tell that the actors were talking to nothing because everything was blu screened. Did they even use stand ins for CGI characters during dialog? It seems not. OK, now I am remembering why I hated this the first time through.

That kid playing Anakin sucked. Has he done anything else? Wow, looked like Star Wars killed his career!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Lloyd#Filmography

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Star Wars - Episode 1 - 5/10 - I honestly do not know what to think. I watched it for the most part but unlike normal, if I left to make popcorn I didn't pause the movie. I let it keep going. The movie is too long. The CGI quite frankly looks like crap (especially by today's standards). Overall though the story wasn't bad, just confusing. Decent concept with horrible execution. And for Christ's sake, when telling a narrative you don't need all these visual distractions. Way to many items exist during battle sequences. Ya, wow you can create 10,000 ships or soldiers in CGI. Which ones matter to the narrative though? Oh, I had no emotional attachment to any characters. And way to often you could tell that the actors were talking to nothing because everything was blu screened. Did they even use stand ins for CGI characters during dialog? It seems not. OK, now I am remembering why I hated this the first time through.

That kid playing Anakin sucked. Has he done anything else? Wow, looked like Star Wars killed his career!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Lloyd#Filmography

Yeah, he HATES Star Wars because of that experience.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Hateful Eight in 70mm - 10/10: Fucking awesome. QT took a lot of my favourite things from Inglourious, Django, and Reservoir Dogs, and blended them all together into an awesome, tense, mystery. Somehow he made it epic and intimate all at the same time; he sure as hell made it fun, entertaining, and damn gorgeous! Maybe it will lose a little something watching it again on a normal screen, in a normal theatre, maybe without a full house, without the opening static intro music and the intermission. That's possible, but the screening of this I saw was incredible and I loved every minute of it.

KT

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Killing Them Softly -- 8.5/10

I had started watching this not too long after it originally came out but I quit and never finished it. I'm not sure why; I thought it was an excellent movie. Good job by Pitt and especially by Gandolfini and plenty of (dark) humor throughout. LOL, that Russel is a frickin idiot. Some interesting camera work too (
the fight scene where Trattman gets the crap beat out of him; that was 60 fps wasn't it?
).

Overall, a gritty, violent, darkly humorous well-acted movie.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The Hateful Eight in 70mm - 10/10: Fucking awesome. QT took a lot of my favourite things from Inglourious, Django, and Reservoir Dogs, and blended them all together into an awesome, tense, mystery. Somehow he made it epic and intimate all at the same time; he sure as hell made it fun, entertaining, and damn gorgeous! Maybe it will lose a little something watching it again on a normal screen, in a normal theatre, maybe without a full house, without the opening static intro music and the intermission. That's possible, but the screening of this I saw was incredible and I loved every minute of it.

KT

Wow. You're starting to make me doubt my decision to cancel the tickets I had to the 70mm showing in MN. Looks like it starts today on other screens in the area, so I was planning to just go see it regular.

A thread on Reddit indicated the theater here didn't do such a great job with the presentation of 70mm. Apparently it's in on one of their smaller screens and they just don't use a strip across the bottom so the image overall is a bit smaller than a normal projection would be. There wasn't one person in the thread that said the presentation was worth the price of admission. /shrug

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Wow. You're starting to make me doubt my decision to cancel the tickets I had to the 70mm showing in MN. Looks like it starts today on other screens in the area, so I was planning to just go see it regular.

A thread on Reddit indicated the theater here didn't do such a great job with the presentation of 70mm. Apparently it's in on one of their smaller screens and they just don't use a strip across the bottom so the image overall is a bit smaller than a normal projection would be. There wasn't one person in the thread that said the presentation was worth the price of admission. /shrug

That stinks. What a waste. I was lucky in that this theatre was very old school, so the projectionist knew what he was doing, and the screen was enormous. Was a great crowd too. Complete sell out at 2:00 PM on a Monday. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

KT

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
good news? lol--T2 in 3d?

that is fucking terrible news.

James Cameron revels in how many versions and tweaks he makes with none being more pure than the other, so for finally getting to see it in a theater I can see this being great news.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't like going to movie theaters because of the usual shitty experience you get. Like when I was watching The Force Awakens on opening weekend, I kept getting kicked from behind, people pulling out their cellphones, people talking, guy sitting next to me kept bumping me. I live in a pretty nice area so it happens no matter where you are. I'd rather watch a movie on my terms, on my time. Do I have a screen as big or sound system as good as a theater? No but to me, the negatives of going to the theatre don't out weight the positives.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't like going to movie theaters because of the usual shitty experience you get. Like when I was watching The Force Awakens on opening weekend, I kept getting kicked from behind, people pulling out their cellphones, people talking, guy sitting next to me kept bumping me. I live in a pretty nice area so it happens no matter where you are. I'd rather watch a movie on my terms, on my time. Do I have a screen as big or sound system as good as a theater? No but to me, the negatives of going to the theatre don't out weight the positives.

I don't mind going first thing in the morning, but if it's after 12pm, I'm not going. I always end up sitting in front of the 2 people in the theater that feel like talking is ok. When I went to see Star Wars 6-7 days after release, some guy brought his 3-4 y/o kid and apparently didn't feel the need to teach him to shut up when you're in the theater.

Honestly, I wouldn't go at all if same-day release was offered online somehow. I put in a 100" screen & Ben-Q projector in a small bedroom in our new house, have a decent set of neutral bookshelf speakers and a mid-range SVS sub (sealed, because my 2 ported SVS subs wouldn't fit in the room so I CL'd them :'( ). It's not the BEST system ever, but it's pretty darn good and definitely good enough for me.

Oh, and movies at home don't have 25 minutes of trailers either.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Hateful Eight seems more polarizing than other QT movies thus far. 2/10 and 10/10 lol

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

I really can't recall ever having a bad movie experience.
Sometimes, in a packed theater, people climbing out to go to the bathroom, but that is rare.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
softy.

back on movie track...

the perfect guy - 4/10 - really was nothing else at redbox i hadn't seen on bluray so i snagged this, and it was pretty dumb and basically what i expected. the main chick has a smokin body though. them titties...

T1 is softly sci fi, but primarily Horror, just like Alien before it.

T2 is action/sci fi.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Ex machina - 3/10. Truly awful, excruciatingly slow and pointless movie, but good effects and reasonably good performances within the awful script. A good thirty minutes of interest crammed into two hours. Neither of us cared one whit about any of the characters; we wanted them all dead, preferably horribly. The opening was dull, the climax moved with the breathtaking speed of molasses in January, the denouement seemed rather pointless, and everything in between was aggressively meh. It's evidently supposed to make you think seriously about the ethics and dangers of artificial intelligence, but it merely made us long for some artificial intelligence in making movies.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
T1 is softly sci fi, but primarily Horror, just like Alien before it.

T2 is action/sci fi.

i'll agree to disagree. i'll stick with halloween, poltergeist, nightmare on elmstreet, and friday the 13th as old school horror movies, not terminator

even imdb doesn't think T1 is horror, and imdb is everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.