NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 446 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
How much control do directors have over release dates? I always figured that the studios made that decision but with someone as influential as Tarantino, I can imagine he has at least some input.

I really have no idea myself, like I stated I was just musing a bit.

But yes, it looked the Leonardo was released for award season, The Hateful Eight at least for the Holiday crowd.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
looks like I'll be watching Hateful Eight this NYE...

Guess Revenant will have to wait until the weekend :D

//edit

Lol, show starts at 7:45p looks like it'll be letting out around 11:30p

At least you'll have an empty theater.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Hateful Eight 2/10

My God, that was an awful movie. What a waste of some fine actors. There was no story, no buildup, no surprises, no resolution. 2 hours and 48 f'n minutes of crap, 90% of it set inside a stagecoach and then a cabin, like a stage play. With endless bad dialogue.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Creed - Yup/10 - If you like Rocky movies, this one is very good. It doesn't really pave any new ground, but it is well done. I didn't feel like they put the kid through enough paces though before he got offered a title round. You didn't get to see him get his lumps before being thrown into a title match.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The wait for 1/8 is killing me!

...but I will wait. I will watch it in the largest format possible.

people who are watching the screener are doing them self a disservice, with the revenant or hateful 8. not a chance in hell i would ever ruin the experience watching a dvd quality version of a movie, video and sound wise.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
people who are watching the screener are doing them self a disservice, with the revenant or hateful 8. not a chance in hell i would ever ruin the experience watching a dvd quality version of a movie, video and sound wise.

That's like someone saying I'd never watch a movie on my TV because you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch it in the theater. Some people simply don't care, regardless of cinematography intent. No movies are intended to be watched on something other than at the theater. You are talking about a time period where people watch everything on their phones... the percentage of people who give a damn about visual quality is pretty small.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That's like someone saying I'd never watch a movie on my TV because you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch it in the theater. Some people simply don't care, regardless of cinematography intent. No movies are intended to be watched on something other than at the theater. You are talking about a time period where people watch everything on their phones... the percentage of people who give a damn about visual quality is pretty small.

yep, thanks for regurgitating my point. there are many movies i would never consider watching on tv first viewing for that exact reason. after the initial first experience, watching it on a tv i'd have no problems with. but you can never get that first movie watching experience back.

i wish i could get the matrix first experience in the theater again, that was completely mind blowing. and i wish i had seen saving private ryan in the theater the first time i ever saw it. that would have been incredible.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

yep, thanks for regurgitating my point. there are many movies i would never consider watching on tv first viewing for that exact reason. after the initial first experience, watching it on a tv i'd have no problems with. but you can never get that first movie watching experience back.

i wish i could get the matrix first experience in the theater again, that was completely mind blowing. and i wish i had seen saving private ryan in the theater the first time i ever saw it. that would have been incredible.

:thumbsup:

Sep 29, 2004

Ignoring the flow of this specific conversation, I have to agree there. I'd like to add in Terminator 2 as the other movie I'd love to see in theaters again. And maybe the first Alien movie.

The good news though. Terminator 2 might be rereleased in theaters (in 3D) for it's 25th anniversary.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ter...s_rd=ssl#safe=active&q=terminator+2+rerelease

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ignoring the flow of this specific conversation, I have to agree there. I'd like to add in Terminator 2 as the other movie I'd love to see in theaters again. And maybe the first Alien movie.

The good news though. Terminator 2 might be rereleased in theaters (in 3D) for it's 25th anniversary.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ter...s_rd=ssl#safe=active&q=terminator+2+rerelease

i remember seeing T2 in the theaters with my dad when it first came out, it was incredible. i was not even 10 at the time lol.

watching it at home on my HT is just as awesome though as i own the bluray. the sound is even better now than it was back then too probably. it's one of those movies i will put on every now and then and enjoy it just as much as i did the previous times.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i really, really detested T2. i felt it destroyed everything that was awesome about T1. the relentless, pitiless death machine that kills without a thought.

"are you Sarah Connor?" *pew* *pew* *THUMP* pewpew some more.

that scene in the police station was just glorious. and T2 is the opposite of T1.

sure, you can say "ooh, but `it was in the script.. the kid told the terminator NOT to kill people"
besides that fact that, why would a disfunctional high-school kid in the 90s ever say that; more likely, he would say "cool, let's go kill all the kids in school that i hate".

anyway,

sure, it's in the script. and that's what i have a problem with: it's a hollywood conformist script.
they put that in there because they HAD to put it in there, family fun film 'n all; they don't have the balls to do a R rated film with a hulking metal beast that doesn't talk but just kills.

T1 is a great film, because of the content. T2 might not be that bad on its own, but considering the content, and the fact that it insults T1, makes it to me almost as bad as the prequels.

2/10 - insulting

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
i really, really detested T2. i felt it destroyed everything that was awesome about T1. the relentless, pitiless death machine that kills without a thought.

"are you Sarah Connor?" *pew* *pew* *THUMP* pewpew some more.

that scene in the police station was just glorious. and T2 is the opposite of T1.

sure, you can say "ooh, but `it was in the script.. the kid told the terminator NOT to kill people"
besides that fact that, why would a disfunctional high-school kid in the 90s ever say that; more likely, he would say "cool, let's go kill all the kids in school that i hate".

anyway,

sure, it's in the script. and that's what i have a problem with: it's a hollywood conformist script.
they put that in there because they HAD to put it in there, family fun film 'n all; they don't have the balls to do a R rated film with a hulking metal beast that doesn't talk but just kills.

T1 is a great film, because of the content. T2 might not be that bad on its own, but considering the content, and the fact that it insults T1, makes it to me almost as bad as the prequels.

2/10 - insulting

You do realize it still had one of those in T2...and every terminator movie actually.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You do realize it still had one of those in T2...and every terminator movie actually.

yeah really, i just caught T3 on TV the other day, and i hadn't seen it in years. i didn't realize how relentless the chick is. she literally knocks on the doors of houses and asks kids if they are who she is looking for, and they say yes, and she blows them away and just leaves.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
nah, it's a feelgood story, while T1 was borderline horror.

looks like everyone is loving creed. will try to catch it after newyear's.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Taking Center Stage - 10/10.

It is all about Neil Peart, the drummer of RUSH, and how he approaches playing the drums. Right now I am watching the sound check for a show. Not one shot of the other guys.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
lol da fuck?
Why do you find that weird? It's a movie about a helpless female getting slowly stalked by a seemingly unstoppable superhuman killer. It's the same concept found in countless slasher movies, and while they took that concept in a science fiction direction, it doesn't completely negate the horror elements.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Why do you find that weird? It's a movie about a helpless female getting slowly stalked by a seemingly unstoppable superhuman killer. It's the same concept found in countless slasher movies, and while they took that concept in a science fiction direction, it doesn't completely negate the horror elements.

because horror = scary and t1 != scary. very simple formula.

by your definition, aladdin would be a horror movie. (yes, stretching a bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.