NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 106 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Doesn't matter. R ratings are a huge crush to box office sales.

Removing Passion of the Christ, Matrix Reloaded was the 2nd highest grossing R-rated movie at 281 million. There were 34 other PG-13 movies that made that much or more. And not just more...but A LOT more. The two later Batman movies pulled in over 400 and 500 million each.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Look at this list and try and find Prometheus and then tell me that "Everyone was waiting for it". A particular demographic was, and of that demographic you restricted a high ticket selling one...the sub 17 teenagers.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic/mpaa.htm?page=R&p=.htm

It would have more than doubled, if not even tripled it box office sales if it was PG-13. And all they *really* had to do was get rid of a couple f-bombs and maybe change up one or two scenes. Otherwise it's violence wasn't really that over the top compared to a lot of things being released now.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I wasnt, and I consider myself kind of a fan. The AVP movies turned me off from new stuff.
Which is a little ironic cuz AvP 2 is one of my most favorite games in the whole wide world.

I refused to even watch a single AvP movie, and I was hyped for Prometheus. It's the first one Ridley has made since the original Alien. Who expected it to be anything less than awesome? Not me. :(

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Look at this list and try and find Prometheus and then tell me that "Everyone was waiting for it". A particular demographic was, and of that demographic you restricted a high ticket selling one...the sub 17 teenagers.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic/mpaa.htm?page=R&p=.htm

It would have more than doubled, if not even tripled it box office sales if it was PG-13. And all they *really* had to do was get rid of a couple f-bombs and maybe change up one or two scenes. Otherwise it's violence wasn't really that over the top compared to a lot of things being released now.
So true. I went in with R in mind and came out with PG13. WTF was R about prometheus? I see worse shit at 3pm on AMC. Walking Dead is more graphic. Real let down.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I've caught up on some TV series and Netflix streaming movies lately. Been in a horror sort of mood because of Halloween coming up, so some of these are pretty bad.

Hell on Wheels - 9/10. Really enjoyed the show, but hated the last episode. From what I've read, it sounds like it may not be renewed and maybe that's why they ended it the way they did.

Fear Itself - 8/10. Anthology horror show from 2008 on Netflix instant. Some of the episodes are pretty predictable, but I enjoyed it. I like the 42 minute mini-movie concept.

The Traveler - 3/10. Val Kilmer horror/thriller. I actually enjoyed the first half, but it got very stupid, very quickly.

Apartment 143 - 4/10. Paranormal Activity meets Ghost Hunters. Extremely predictable.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Penn and Teller - Fool Us 7/10

stumbled on this show on youtube since it was a British show.

Outstanding magic show. Premise is magicians bring their magic show and try to put one over Penn and Teller. If they cannot figure it out right there on the show, the performer wins a trip to Vegas to open on their magic show.

Last edited:

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Don't know that I've ever chimed in on this thread in 3 yrs. Just watched 2 movies. One was a sleeper - terrific, and I hadn't even heard of it. The other, I couldn't even finish.

Stakeland - 7.5/10 - What a sleeper. I hadn't even heard of this. I'm not even sure it was released in the movies. It is basically a vampire apocalypse instead of a Zombie apocalypse. Complete with the cold, tough guy who can kill anyone/anything. The young naive kid that doesn't know anything. And the "group" of uncivilized people that aren't regular guys, yet aren't zombies.

The Grey - 3/10 - Worst movie I've seen in a long long time. Could not even finish it. I want my dollar back. How could anything with Liam Neeson suck so bad. Cartoon wolf, annoying tough guy who's a smart ass and nasty to everyone, ridiculous events, etc...Absolutely terrible.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Penn and Teller - Fool Us 7/10

stumbled on this show on youtube since it was a British show.

Outstanding magic show. Premise is magicians bring their magic show and try to put one over Penn and Teller. If they cannot figure it out right there on the show, the performer wins a trip to Vegas to open on their magic show.

Absolutely amazing show. Wish they'd have brought it over here.

To the person talking about Hell on Wheels - season 2 has already started.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Absolutely amazing show. Wish they'd have brought it over here.

To the person talking about Hell on Wheels - season 2 has already started.

To the person talking about the person who's talking about "Hell on Wheels".....The 2nd season has already ended...:whiste:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The Grey - 3/10 - Worst movie I've seen in a long long time. Could not even finish it. I want my dollar back. How could anything with Liam Neeson suck so bad. Cartoon wolf, annoying tough guy who's a smart ass and nasty to everyone, ridiculous events, etc...Absolutely terrible.

This. WTF is wrong with those movie critics that actually liked it?

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Werewolf: The Beast Among Us 7/10
Watched this on Netflix instant after somebody else recommending it in this thread. Wasn't disappointing. It isn't a great movie by any means but compared to other werewolf movies it was pretty damn good.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Rise of the Planet of the Apes 8/10: I vaguely recalled a lot of praise for this movie before watching it and I wasn't disappointed. The Story seemed plausible, other than a couple of Douchebags there was no Villain which was a nice variation on these types of movies, and it was entertaining throughout.

Sep 29, 2004
darkwolf,

I think I mentioned it several days ago. Glad you liked it. Your summary is pretty much what I thought of it also.

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
Sinister - 6/10

Not the best movie of all time but it certainly could have been worse. A true life crime investigator finds a box of old movies depicting the murders of multiple families in his home. And then strange occurances begin to happen.

It isn't scary but it does a good job of building suspense.

sinister-kids-in-atic.jpg

Last edited:

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Chernobyl Diaries 3/10 What a waste of time. How do people get the backing and support to make such trash movies? Don't waste your time guys.

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
Chernobyl Diaries 3/10 What a waste of time. How do people get the backing and support to make such trash movies? Don't waste your time guys.

Terrible movie.

But according to Wiki, it had a budget of $1MM and took in $35MM.
That's why there will always be another Paranormal Activity - as long as people go to see it, they will keep spinning out more trash.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Flight with Denzel Washington (7/10)

-Hawt naked girl (Nadine Velazquez) in opening scene is hawt.
-For those of us who know about flying planes, the cockpit scenes are a very good attempt compared to your average Hollywood film but are still riddled with procedural flaws and continuity problems.
-John Goodman gets too little screen time.
-Kelly Reilly is a so-so actress.
-Film is more about addiction and alcoholism than anything.

(Argo is a better film if you end up debating between the two.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.