Novice question, what are pro graphics cards good for?

severus

Dec 30, 2007
I've never really looked into it. I know they're terrible for gaming, but what are the Fire and Quadro series used for? Any real reason for them?

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Their supported offically for software, ei you can use them without haveing to use work-arounds and hacks.

Plus you get better support from amd/nvidia ect, if you run into issues.

If you have a workplace, where lots and lots of people need to use cards for x software, haveing support could be worth the pricetag, as lost work hours due to issue = costly, and since you bought x amount of cards, amd/nvidia are likely to want to keep good relations with your workplace, thus willingness to help with drivers ect whatever they can.

If your a "normal" person, useing a home pc for a hobby... the use of such a card is basically zero.

Basically theirs like zero performance differnce, at a huge price differnce.
So unless you really need the support, theres no real reason to buy them.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Their supported offically for software, ei you can use them without haveing to use work-arounds and hacks.

Plus you get better support from amd/nvidia ect, if you run into issues.

If you have a workplace, where lots and lots of people need to use cards for x software, haveing support could be worth the pricetag, as lost work hours due to issue = costly, and since you bought x amount of cards, amd/nvidia are likely to want to keep good relations with your workplace, thus willingness to help with drivers ect whatever they can.

If your a "normal" person, useing a home pc for a hobby... the use of such a card is basically zero.

Basically theirs like zero performance differnce, at a huge price differnce.
So unless you really need the support, theres no real reason to buy them.

Ehhh...no.

That depends a lot on what you're doing. Not as much with the FirePro series, but with Quadro and all those CUDA cores...:colbert:

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I have used many Quadros in workstations for work, never a FirePro though. Basically they are great for high-detailed geometry, which I take advantage of using SolidWorks. Comparing my GTX 460 to even just a Quadro 600, parts and assemblies are much better looking and smoother movement on the Quadro. I don't know the details of why they are different, could simply be differences in drivers.

Even my Quadro 600 that I have now can get slow with larger assemblies, especially if I turn the eye candy up. I have never tried rendering a scene on my GTX 460, but I can't imagine it would look too good. I turn off the shadows and "Realview" until I need to take a picture for a customer...

Last edited: