Info November astronomy sights

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Nov 15 is the New Moon so that's good for the meteor shower.

Nov 17/18: Leonid Meteor Shower
The Leonids' shooting stars are visible between November 6 and 30, and peak on the night of November 17 and early morning of November 18, 2020 with up to 15 meteors per hour.

Nov 29/30: Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
November ends with a penumbral eclipse of the Beaver Moon. About 82% of the Moon's face will be cloaked in the Earth's lighter, penumbral shadow, turning parts of the Moon slightly darker.
All of the US & Canada will be able to see this. Extreme Eastern Canada might not get the best views though.
eclipse.png

There's also another comet to try to see. C/2020 M3 ATLAS is in Orion but it's not very bright. Might be able to be seen in binoculars. Heaven's Above lists it at magnitude 7.7
Here's a link to an APOD photo from a few days ago.

Still plenty of planets to look for too. Mercury(maybe) & Venus in the morning. Mars, Jupiter & Saturn in the evenings. Uranus & Neptune also with some help.

Dec 10, 2005
Thanks for the updates.

Last night, since it was pretty clear, I caught a glimpse of the Orion Nebula with my 8x42 binoculars - at least the central-most part that is brightest in these light-polluted skies. I have dreams of one day buying an 8" Dobsonian reflector...