November 2007 "Obama believes the D.C. handgun law is constitutional."

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: thepd7
Originally posted by: Corbett
just another flip -flop from Obama. He was FOR the gun ban back in 2006 I believe.

you need to go back to school and learn how to read.

Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
Gun rights isn't even a top 5 issue anymore, so it won't have much impact.

very wrong. I'm a member of the NRA, trust me it's still top5, top3 for a great deal of people top1 for still a decent amount.

Originally posted by: Rainsford
ProfJohn, I'm not sure I understand the argument you're trying to make. While the Supreme Court ruling is legally interesting and certainly a feather in the cap of gun rights advocates, I don't see it having ANY pull on the election...and if it does, it's more likely to HELP Obama than hurt him.

Thanks to some pretty effective strategies going back decades, Republicans have pretty much locked up the "strong pro-gun voting block" vote. I don't see anyone in that crowd voting for Obama in the first place, and if there were any that would, I don't see the Supreme Court decision changing their mind. Your contention that the Supreme Court is handing the NRA folks an issue seems a little odd. It was clearly an issue before this decision, if anything it seems like the issue would become LESS important to the pro-gun folks...after all, this is a big victory.

Now on the other side of the coin, you have the people who are really pissed off about this ruling and looking for something to do about it...and you can bet it won't be voting for McCain. Of course the same thing I said before applies here as well, most of the anti-gun folks weren't voting Republican to begin with. The difference is that this ruling was a setback to their position, which tends to energize people to try to get back some ground.

States with pretty even splits of pro-gun and anti-gun might find victorious feeling pro-gun folks staying home and pissed off anti-gun folks heading to the voting booth to "fix" the situation. The problem with this, like most political issues, is that it works best when it's NOT solved...when your supporters remain pissed off about it enough to keep voting for your party to try to fix it.

A lot of valid points here. I believe what the OP was referencing is questioning Obama since he was wrong. I'm a conservative, I don't really think it affects him much.

Obama isn't a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Personally I think he would be more likely to go along with those who want to severely restrict the ability of citizens to own a firearm, or to place such stringent requirements that it would be all but impossible to own one unless you bought it illicitly.

I agree with you and Rainsford though. Obama was wrong about the DC law, and McCain wrong about Gitmo, and neither is going to gain or lose many votes over it.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: OFFascist
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Is he running for Supreme Court Judge?

He is running for the guy who will appoint the next couple of Supreme Court Judges.

Being that he grew up in Chicago, which has a handgun ban as well as the state having the strictest gun laws, I'm not exactly thinking he will pick future judges that will support gun rights.

Of the 2 topcandidates neither grew up in Chicago.

If you are refering to Senator Obama he has made Chicago his home since 1985.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: OFFascist
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Is he running for Supreme Court Judge?

He is running for the guy who will appoint the next couple of Supreme Court Judges.

Being that he grew up in Chicago, which has a handgun ban as well as the state having the strictest gun laws, I'm not exactly thinking he will pick future judges that will support gun rights.

Obama grew up in Honolulu, not Chicago.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
So he believed it was constitutional. The supreme court disagreed. Okay? He said he thinks that states and communities have the rights to implement some common sense restrictions. That doesn't really mean he hates guns or is pro guns. (Whatever that means).

I have heard nothing that would tell me that if elected president he would try to change or work around this supreme court decision. Shrug?

"I agree with you and Rainsford though. Obama was wrong about the DC law, and McCain wrong about Gitmo, and neither is going to gain or lose many votes over it."

Yep. Shrug. That's what the supreme court is there for. To figure stuff like this out. So it isn't left up to one guy's opinion even if that guy is the president.

There's all kinds of stuff I don't like about Obama like this recent telecom shenannigans that may cause me to vote for a third party, but I firmly believe he is much better for the country than McCain.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: Craig234
the four moderate justices agreed with him, the four radicals didn't.

Quoted to show how much of a hack you are.

Quoted to show the hypocrisy coming from you.

:confused:

You're just as much of a 'hack' in regarding your conservative views.

Hello, pot? This is kettle.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Originally posted by: Craig234
the four moderate justices agreed with him, the four radicals didn't.

Quoted to show how much of a hack you are.

Quoted to show the hypocrisy coming from you.

:confused:

Indeed, stay out of political discussions.

You first.

Feb 10, 2000
Even being an attorney myself, I find this thread topic bizarre. It's not as though a Supreme Court ruling means, per se, that Obama was wrong, or that his opinion was without merit. He isn't some neophyte when it comes to the law - he was the editor in chief of the Harvard Law Review - and 4 Supreme Court justices agreed with him regarding the constitutionality of the DC law. There's no question that Second Amendment diehards probably won't support Obama, as he is a gun-control advocate, but I don't see what the Supreme Court's holding has to do with that.

I also find Corbett's comments entertaining - it's funny when people view ANY discussion as an opportunity to criticize, regardless of the facts (Earth to Corbett: Obama has consistently supported the DC gun ban, and presumably still does - there has been no "flip-flop").

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
What I am wondering is if they can some how turn this into an attack line.

Something like:
Obama believes that Vanilla is the best kind of ice cream, but he also believed that the DC gun ban was constitutional. The Supreme Court showed us that he was wrong on the gun ban, and we believe he is also wrong on his ice cream choice too.

Barak Obama, the wrong choice for the country.

Now it's not very good, but could it be crafted into something that worked?
Perhaps the abortion crowd could use it.

The idea is that "Obama was wrong on the guy ban and he is wrong on this issue too."

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
What I am wondering is if they can some how turn this into an attack line.

Something like:
Obama believes that Vanilla is the best kind of ice cream, but he also believed that the DC gun ban was constitutional. The Supreme Court showed us that he was wrong on the gun ban, and we believe he is also wrong on his ice cream choice too.

Barak Obama, the wrong choice for the country.

Now it's not very good, but could it be crafted into something that worked?
Perhaps the abortion crowd could use it.

The idea is that "Obama was wrong on the guy ban and he is wrong on this issue too."

The Supreme Court sets legal precedent, they aren't in the business of changing minds. That's what's kind of silly about trying to use that sort of campaign strategy, regardless of what the Supreme Court decided on this issue, I don't think a single mind on either side would have been changed about the "right" or "wrong" of the issue in question.

It's interesting your bring up abortion though, because that's perhaps the best counter-example for what your'e talking about. The Supreme Court said that the anti-abortion folks are legally wrong on the issue, yet being anti-abortion has long been one of the best Republican go-to positions. The problem is that the average voter doesn't set their political compass by what the Supreme Court says.