November 2006 Elections thread:8-2-2006 Rangel puts his money where his mouth is

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
It's close enough to the November Mid-term Elections for it's own thread.

Democrats have a lot to lose, the Country even more if the Republican Regime stays intact.

The Country has a very good shot at not surviving if there is not a wholesale change come this November.

8-2-2006 Rep. Rangel to retire if Dems falter

WASHINGTON - Rep. Charles Rangel, a senior Democrat in Congress and the dean of New York's congressional delegation, said Wednesday he'll retire if the Democrats don't retake control of the House this year.

Rangel, ranking Democrat on the House Ways & Means Committee, is 76 years old and has spent 35 years in Congress. The Democrats need to gain 15 seats in the 2006 midterm election to retake control of the House ? a victory that would return Rangel to the chairmanship of the powerful committee.

"Hell, if we don't take back the House, then the Democrats would go down in history, saying that there's no group in the world that can grab defeat from the jaws of victory," Rangel said in an interview Wednesday.

"It just seems like America is so frustrated and fed up like I am and if she's not, then I may have to say maybe it's me."

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
It's close enough to the November Mid-term Elections for it's own thread.

Democrats have a lot to lose, the Country even more if the Republican Regime stays intact.

The Country has a very good shot at not surviving if there is not a wholesale change come this November.

8-2-2006 Rep. Rangel to retire if Dems falter

WASHINGTON - Rep. Charles Rangel, a senior Democrat in Congress and the dean of New York's congressional delegation, said Wednesday he'll retire if the Democrats don't retake control of the House this year.

Rangel, ranking Democrat on the House Ways & Means Committee, is 76 years old and has spent 35 years in Congress. The Democrats need to gain 15 seats in the 2006 midterm election to retake control of the House ? a victory that would return Rangel to the chairmanship of the powerful committee.

"Hell, if we don't take back the House, then the Democrats would go down in history, saying that there's no group in the world that can grab defeat from the jaws of victory," Rangel said in an interview Wednesday.

"It just seems like America is so frustrated and fed up like I am and if she's not, then I may have to say maybe it's me."

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Talk about a rock and a hard place.

Rangel should leave . . . and take most of the Republicans with him!

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
So is he going to retire immediately after Nov, or wait 2 years then simply not run again?

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: International Machine Consortium
Originally posted by: Pabster
One can only hope we'll be so lucky.

Yeah, after all, we're doing so well under the Republicans....:roll:

Republican, Democrat, does it matter when you have been in office for 3 and a half decades? Get some fresh people with fresh ideas that are not in someones pocket into congress and maybe this country could possibly think about starting to get itself out of the hole it has dug.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Oh Yeah, right :roll: And weren't there a number of politicians who ran on the "Term Limits" platform? Of course after the self imposed limit of two terms they found many excuses to continue on......

But I'll give Ole Charley his due - He's great at self promotion and staying in the news!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern

Oh Yeah, right :roll: And weren't there a number of politicians who ran on the "Term Limits" platform? Of course after the self imposed limit of two terms they found many excuses to continue on......

But I'll give Ole Charley his due - He's great at self promotion and staying in the news!

Wellstone said 1 term, was working on his 3rd when he died.