Novaform Queen Mattress $399 Costco DEAD

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
i have one of these (in cal king) and it's a pretty nice mattress...

the biggest problem is that, after sleeping on a waterbed for ~40 years, i have to have a spare pillow to hit the wife with to make her stop snoring... used to be able to just smack the bed to make a wave but this thing isolates so well you can't even tell that someone gets in or out of it on the other side...

merlion

May 2, 2003
I've had one for almost five years now. Great mattress, especially for the price. The Costco return policy can't be beat as well.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Good deal but I have been wondering how these things got so cheap over the years and it seems that they used to be made entirely of memory foam. This one just appears to have a top layer of it. I am sure it is still comfortable but just an observation.

I bought a 7" memory foam mattress 3 years ago from a mom and pop place for $700. My wife says she can feel the box spring so I guess it is a good idea to get a mattress that is thick like this one.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Good deal but I have been wondering how these things got so cheap over the years and it seems that they used to be made entirely of memory foam. This one just appears to have a top layer of it. I am sure it is still comfortable but just an observation.

I bought a 7" memory foam mattress 3 years ago from a mom and pop place for $700. My wife says she can feel the box spring so I guess it is a good idea to get a mattress that is thick like this one.

Lets be realistic, a mattress has HUGE profit margins. Its foam for Christs sake, the mattress industry is nothing but a giant marketing ripoff. Now you have companies like Sleep Number selling you AIR. My current mattress cost me 1k, I will NEVER spend that much again.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
The memory foam mattresses have a problem in that people feel too hot in them.

The solution to the heat is to use gel infused memory foam.

This mattress has a layer of the gel memory foam up top to keep you cool, and then regular memory foam underneath for good feel. You'll see this is common, now that the heat issue is recognized. Only cheap memory foam mattresses lack the cooling gel layer of memory foam.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Lets be realistic, a mattress has HUGE profit margins. Its foam for Christs sake, the mattress industry is nothing but a giant marketing ripoff. Now you have companies like Sleep Number selling you AIR. My current mattress cost me 1k, I will NEVER spend that much again.

Not all foams are cheap.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Quality high density foam is not cheap, it goes by the pound and a big mattress weighs plenty.

Same here on the long time waterbed switch to foam. Lots of doubt right up to first night of sleeping on one, zonk and not a twitch til morning. Waterbeds have no box spring, just a zero flex solid platform. Keep that in mind when testing mattresses in stores that use a box spring under all mattresses.

My tip on picking, maybe edge toward a little firmer than you think at first especially if you are "big".

A_Square_Circle

Sep 12, 2013
Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster.

I saw the responses in this thread and had to register to contribute. Anand's community has helped me so much over the years w/ reading opinions about which parts to buy; I think it's time I gave back on a subject I know a lot about. Memory foam mattresses.

I suffered (past tense) from insomnia and have tried almost every mattress out there and this is what I found out along the way. ^_^

Memory foam mattresses should never use a box spring. They need a flat foundation to work properly. the springs in a box spring will cause it to sag and provide uneven support as well as create pressure points.

I've never heard of a memory foam mattress made entirely of memory foam. The memory foam is usually the first 3-7" followed by support layers of traditional higher resitance polyfoam. The only way I could see that working is if it's a very high density high quality memory foam 7lbs +. Which would probably be less comfortable than a layering of two densities which the luxury memory foam mattresses usually have.

There is a HUGE difference in the kinds of foam available. All with different properties and benefits. Some with no benefits (dirt cheap foam which feels like a sleeping bag pad).

Sleep number probably has the highest profit margins, you're correct in that. But that's mainly because their shipping costs are so much less.

Some bargain memory foam manufacturers try to save on shipping to lower their prices, and vacuum seal / roll their mattresses. Which results in dead spots when it's unsealed, and usually tears in the foam. It can also only be done with cheaper, lighter foam. Bragada is known for this. Though there are some smaller manufacturers who do a good job and still have decent prices like Parklane mattresses out of oregon.

Of all the major manufacturers I have tried them all. Tempur-pedic, Serta iComfort, Simmons Comforpedic, Sealy Optimum, Novafoam, Simmons black (spring/memory foam hybrid), Sealy Posturpedic gel; & the sub models they all have. There is a world of difference between the cheaper memory foam mattresses and the luxury models.

First thing's first, Tempur-pedic is the best; period. They never patented their specific formulations for memory foam so there is no duplicate to the feel. All the other memory foams are the own individual manufacturers take on the foam NASA created in the 60s. The other side of the coin is, because they know they're the best they charge for it. They aren't cheap.

However imo the improvement in comfort and durability of the high end memory foam is a larger % increase than the price. You can get an iComfort or Optimum for $1,500 - 2,000 for a queen; but if you spend $500 more you can get a Tempur-pedic which supports better.

The best way I could describe it is the standard memory foams are much more reactive and have more properties of standard foam re: recovery time. They're also less temperature sensitive. The Serta, Sealy, Simmons & Novafoam all feel more like a foam bed with a very soft pillowtop; while the TP feels more like quicksand. Lying on them all, my spine has only been completely straight on the TP (note: using a ergonomic memory foam pillow is essential to having a straight neck).

Now TP has a lot of different models they've rolled out to try and fit different customers needs. It used to just be the "Tempur" material (they don't call it memory foam because while it is a memory foam it's made differently and has unique properties other regular memory foams don't. They have different names for each formula, I think the traditional one is T-85. All the foam is made in Denmark.). Since then they've come out with the "Tempur ES" (extra soft), "Tempur HD" (high density), "Tempur Breeze" (thicker cell walls & a heat wicking formula), & "Tempur Weightless" (a more reactive version of ES). Their mattresses usually consist of multiple versions layered for different feels. Sometimes though they use the same material but layer different densities (e.g. Contour Signature has the traditional Tempur material but a layer of 4.3 Lb and a layer of 5.3 Lb under it). The only mattress they make I haven't been able to get comfortable on is the Simplicity which is their bare bones mattress and uses a solid core without any air-flow channels. So it tends to sleep hotter, and it only has 2" of memory foam; half that of any other TP bed.

I probably sound like a commercial for TP at this point, but I'm just trying to illustrate there is a big difference between budget memory (ford pinto) foam and the rolls royce (TP).

Another thing to consider is how long the mattress will last. All memory foam breaks down over time & softens / sags. Usually it will soften before it sags (especially true with quick recovery memory foams) which presents a problem because the warranties all cover sagging. TP is 3/4"; most other manufacturers are 1-2". Another advantage of having a luxury mattress is customer care; if a TP sags all you need to do is lay a yard stick over it and show a dime fits under the yardstick (pic); and they send you a new bed. Sealy, Simmons, Serta all require you to have an inspector they assign to come in your house and inspect the mattress which can be a scheduling nightmare and incur extra costs.

High quality memory foams like TP last about twice as long as low quality memory foams (like this Novafoam or a Sealy, Simmons, Serta). So while a TP may cost 5x as much it lasts 2x as long; so in amortized it's more like 2.5x as much. Which is not a lot more $ imo considering you spend 1/3 of your life on it and it comes out to about $100 a year more. $100 a year more assuming the TP lasts you 10 years (the warranty is 25 years but after 10 it's prorated, on year 11 it's prorated at 50% it's value -5% a year after until years 20-25 where it's just 5% of it's value which is worthless and trickery tbh). If it's starting to feel soft into year 9, just stand on it in the soft spot to make it sag. Beat them at their own game ;).

Not all foams are cheap.
Quality high density foam is not cheap, it goes by the pound and a big mattress weighs plenty.

Same here on the long time waterbed switch to foam. Lots of doubt right up to first night of sleeping on one, zonk and not a twitch til morning. Waterbeds have no box spring, just a zero flex solid platform. Keep that in mind when testing mattresses in stores that use a box spring under all mattresses.

My tip on picking, maybe edge toward a little firmer than you think at first especially if you are "big".
^ exactly.

The only reason I know so much about these beds is because I suffered from insomnia and have researched & tried damn near all of them.

All memory foam beds are NOT created equal.

I tried getting away with a cheap one, but I couldn't.

I can understand how someone might want to think they found a bargain, and love the fact that they got a $400 Tempur-pedic; but it's not the same thing.

Bring your own pillowcase, go into a showroom that displays Tempurpedic along with other memory foam beds. Find the ergonomic memory foam pillow that matches your sleep type (side, back, front), throw your pillowcase on it and take turns lying in the beds. Spend at least 10 minutes lying in it. High quality memory foam takes that long to settle. Cheap memory foam reacts much quicker giving the illusion of support, but when they start breaking down you're left with a hammock effect which will hurt your back more than help it.

The memory foam mattresses have a problem in that people feel too hot in them.

The solution to the heat is to use gel infused memory foam.

This mattress has a layer of the gel memory foam up top to keep you cool, and then regular memory foam underneath for good feel. You'll see this is common, now that the heat issue is recognized. Only cheap memory foam mattresses lack the cooling gel layer of memory foam.

Do Not buy a gel memory foam mattress. They don't work & they break down much faster than just memory foam.

http://youtu.be/C1xPp-2aBvM?t=3m06s

The gel provides minimal cooling if any at all, and it stops providing any cooling 30 mins to an hour after you're in bed. Plus it turns into a Goopy mess which weighs down your bed and turns it into soft mush.

The only cooling memory foam I've found that I'd even consider is the Tempur-pedic Breeze. And that's only because it doesn't use gel, they engineered the cell walls to be extra thick and incorporated some chemicals into the foam which wick heat into the air-flow channels.

Though it's not worth it IMO because like the gel, the cooling effect only lasts about an hour, then it feels as warm as a non-cooling memory foam. If it was just a little more $, I'd say go for it, but it's a lot more $ (sometimes almost double the price) for the Breeze model; and won't last the night which defeats the purpose.

Note that only hot sleepers (people who tend to have a higher core temperature) will feel hot on memory foam, and then only if they're in a warm room. The best solution is to simply keep your room at 65-70 degrees
and just use sheets, not a comforter.

:thumbsup:

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I have to disagree about one point. A mattress warranty means nothing. I used a $500 mattress for 15 years, I was able to flip it over, rotate it etc. There is one guy now in his marketing, telling people if your mattress is over 8, its time to replace. But yet, they sell mattresses with warranties longer than that, makes no sense. So if, and I really mean if, a $400 mattress doesn't last long enough as you say a TP will, then so what, maybe you can buy more for less total to pass the life of the TP.

My fav mattresses are actually Latex, I know for a fact, that foams lasts a VERY long time. Its the only kind of pillows I have used since I was a kid. I am a firm believer in buying the cheapest mattress you find comfortable. When does it end, should people buy 50k Hastens mattresses? I mean if we really wanna talk pinto vs rolls. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
I had touble sleeping for years. Bought a nice Serta 4 years ago for $800 that put an almost immediate end to that.

AFAIAC, they can have their fat profit margins because a restful night spent sleeping is money well spent.

A_Square_Circle

Sep 12, 2013
So Tempur Pedic cured your insomnia?

I think so, yes.

I had muscle cramps and back aches. So I would wake up 5+ times every night, and rarely get far into REM; if at all. The primary cause was inflammation and I was prescribed prednisone to help with it, but I thought there would be another way to relax my body without resorting to drugging myself constantly.

I had a old Sealy Posturepedic, and bought a new $1,000 Simmons Beautyrest before I looked into memory foam. It was only a slight improvement, so I returned it.

Then I went to a store and tried memory foam beds. I ordered an iComfort Savant which was about $1700. I returned it as well, my back was not straight, my hips would sink deeper than my shoulders because it didn't mold very well.

Then I spent a whole saturday going to mattress stores and lying in mattresses. I had bought a Tempur-pedic side sleeper pillow because it was the most comfortable one I found, so I just brought it with me and used it.

I spent at least an hour in the top contenders from each brand and ended up ordering both a TP Cloud Supreme and a TP Contour Signature (both around $3k with foundation, which you need for the TP warranty. It's a good nailless solid foundation though, very heavy duty for $300, queen size). I put one in my room and one in my guest room and slept in them both alternating for almost 3 months (TP has a 90 day full money back guarantee). I decided I liked the contour the best, which uses the original Tempur material. The Cloud uses 50% Tempur ES and 50% Tempur. The Cloud feels best when you first lay down, but the Contour does the best job of getting your spine completely straight and eliminating any pressure on your body.

So I kept the Contour Sig and sent back the Cloud Supreme & have been able to sleep. Sometimes I still wake up, but it happens much less now. I also find myself being able to sleep for 8 hours now, where before I was lucky if i got 6 because I would get up so often.

There's a Contour Select as well, but I didn't like it because it was just too firm. It also only has one layer of air-flow channels, whereas the Sig has two. So i think the Sig may sleep cooler as well. There was a $500 difference.

Everyone is different, so I'm not going to say the Contour Sig is the best bed they make, since everyone has their preferences. But what I can say is it lives up to it's name and is the best for molding to your body (aside from the Grand bed, which i also liked but couldn't afford ($7,800)). Some people don't like the quicksand feeling though, so that's why they made more reactive beds. I just found the original tempur material the best for my needs.

In order of best to worst memory foam mattresses I tried.

BEST
Tempur-Pedic Grand bed
Tempur-Pedic Contour Signature
" Cloud Luxe (& breeze version)
" Cloud Supreme (& breeze version)
" Rhapsody (& breeze version)
" Allura
" Contour Select
" Weightless
--------------
Runner ups
Parklane Mattresses >
Simmons Comforpedic >
Serta iComfort >
Sealy Optimum (very close to iComfort) >
Bragada >
Novafoam
WORST

I have to disagree about one point. A mattress warranty means nothing. I used a $500 mattress for 15 years, I was able to flip it over, rotate it etc. There is one guy now in his marketing, telling people if your mattress is over 8, its time to replace. But yet, they sell mattresses with warranties longer than that, makes no sense. So if, and I really mean if, a $400 mattress doesn't last long enough as you say a TP will, then so what, maybe you can buy more for less total to pass the life of the TP.

My fav mattresses are actually Latex, I know for a fact, that foams lasts a VERY long time. Its the only kind of pillows I have used since I was a kid. I am a firm believer in buying the cheapest mattress you find comfortable. When does it end, should people buy 50k Hastens mattresses? I mean if we really wanna talk pinto vs rolls. :biggrin:

You can't flip a memory foam mattress. I also disagree that an innerspring mattress can last that long, unless you're light as a feather. In which case you want a lightly sprung bed, which means the springs sag easier so it evens out. As for Latex, I tried them as well. They offer a lot more resistance then good memory foam, the sensation of them pushing up on my body was not comfortable for me and caused muscle aches.

I realize you're skeptical, but when you value your sleep; spending more $ does make a difference. Just don't spend it on a sub-par brand. Simmons, Serta & Sealy all have memory foam mattresses which are extremely expensive as well. But they're still not as good as the mid range Tempur-pedics. Good memory foam matters.

Obviously if you don't like memory foam beds, then this is all moot. But this is a thread about memory foam so i assumed that's what people were talking about.

p.s. Re: this novafoam bed, I haven't owned this model but I did lay on it in Costco. I ended up buying several layers of the same memory foam they use in it and put it on the new beautyrest (that i returned) to try to simulate the Black model (2x as expensive). It came close, but was still very uncomfortable compared to the other memory foam mattresses. & nowhere near as comfortable as the TP.

Last edited:

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Two different people may prefer two very different mattresses.

Best site that I found to discuss them is http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/ lots of talk and lots of reviews from real owners (over 100k).

I looked around for a couple months, considered a bunch, and in true "hot deals" fashion jumped on a free shipping offer the month before Amazon started charging Calif sales tax, for a Sleep Innovations 12-Inch SureTemp Memory Foam Mattress 20-Year Warranty, total for a Cal King was less than $600 and it arrived folded and rolled, vacuum sealed. Took a couple weeks, but seemed to fully recover.

I figure with a foam bed, the first one will be a learning experience. Read the warranty terms, NONE are going to last over about half the warranty period, and different brands consider failure, usually sag, as a failure at different levels and conditions.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
i'm one of those warm kind of guys, and all we do is put a good mattress cover on the thing and all is well... i can only say 'sheesh' to people who use a quilt on top and say it's hot... i just use flannel sheets all year round...

Cardio

Jun 11, 2003
Thanks -A Square Circle !!

Best and most complete mattress review I've ever seen. Couldn't agree with you more. I think the difficulty in mattress evaluations is that some folks can sleep on a bed of nails and think it is comfortable.....so anything is ok. I have tried lots of mattress's that had great reviews and were terrible, to me. I have had several that seemed pretty good for a while but after a few month were completely different and unacceptable. The TP, for whatever reason, is the best sleep to me and also has consistent performance over the long haul. The only other type that I really liked was a latex foam that I had when growing up. They are still available but cost more than TP and weigh about twice as much.
Thanks for sharing your experience and opinions.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Oh, this is the first I've heard that the gel memory foam is a gimmick. I watched the video criticizing the gel, but that seems like one guy's anecdotal and potentially biased opinions.

When I bought my current memory foam, I did research at various bed review sites. I just recall there being a large consensus that gel was the way to go. Has that changed?

Just that, thinking like an engineer, I could see the scientific principle at work where a gel could conduct heat more efficiently than an insulator like air pockets. So to me it scientifically makes sense that gel works, by conducting heat away from the body and to the rest of the mattress where it's radiated away, unlike regular air-filled foam where the air pockets would act as insulators.

Do you have any other sources where I could take a look at how gel is a gimmick for memory foam?

fastcuda

Sep 1, 2000
I bought the predecessor to this which had no gel foam. it lasted about 2 years even though I flipped it front to back, it sagged in the middle. I called costco concierge and they had it picked up and gave me a full refund. I had had it shipped to my house from costco.com. I then purchased the gel foam replacement and so far no sag, much less heat(the old one used to make me sweat) and I am very happy. I have never bought a 3000 dollar mattress and they might be better, I will never know. It was a top of the line gel foam mattress, not sure if this one is as good, they change them all the time but I do remember it had 3 layers like this.

Before this I bought a sealy posturepedic and they have went way down in quality, the box springs are just an empty platform with no springs and it squeaked like crazy, cannot flip them any more because they are made one sided. That went back first week.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Went to my local Costco yesterday. Mattress was still $499. I was ready to buy for $399.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Good choice as well, but keep in mind delivery issues etc.

IKEA is close to me. I have a portable mattress (twin) the kids use to play games on. Didn't know they had better ones now.

Have to check out the SULTAN EDSELE

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
I got one of these. Though I think mine had the gel foam also. Think I spend $500 a couple years ago and its the best bed I've ever had. Don't have to rotate it or anything either