"Notre Dame should lower its academic standards to get the black athlete"..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Borracho

Banned
Mar 26, 2004
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
Of course we all know that football should always superscede a fine, quality education. Let's lower the standards so we can get more guys who want a career out of slamming into each other on a field rather than releasing bright, young minds into society.

Our bright minds need something to watch on Sundays and Monday nights ;)

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Of course we all know that football should always superscede a fine, quality education. Let's lower the standards so we can get more guys who want a career out of slamming into each other on a field rather than releasing bright, young minds into society.

You go to college to get a better education to make money, you hope. A really smart person who starts out to be a doctor has about as much chance of going all the way through as some kid who is a really gifted athlete, who has a legit shot to be pro. And sports now and always will be a huge part of our society. And again many of these bright minds at these schools wouldn't be able to go without someone paying the bills. To go to Notre Dame would be probably be around 70K a year without the athletes paying the bills. How many "bright minds" could afford that?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: classy

You go to college to get a better education to make money, you hope. A really smart person who starts out to be a doctor has about as much chance of going all the way through as some kid who is a really gifted athlete, who has a legit shot to be pro. And sports now and always will be a huge part of our society. And again many of these bright minds at these schools wouldn't be able to go without someone paying the bills. To go to Notre Dame would be probably be around 70K a year without the athletes paying the bills. How many "bright minds" could afford that?

cant compare a person smart enough to be a doctor with someone trying to make pro. If the athlete fails to make it in the pros and does not try to get an education they are screwed. Where a person who fails to get a PHD still has enough brains to get a education in many other fields.

Rapidskies

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
I think most of you are missing his point. 75% of the top football highschool recruits are black. I read that out of the top 100 athletes last year, only 7 qualified for Notre Dame. So basically what he is stating is the truth, in order to get the higher caliber athlete Notre Dame would have to lower the academic bar. This would allow them to recruit more of the top/black athletes.

On a side note he should have realized any public comment with anything regarding race would blow up in his face, he should have put the p.c. spin on it like everyone else does.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
This is stupid. Everyone knows exactly what this guy meant but didn't 'say'. I haven't looked up any statistics, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the average stud black player has a lower chance of getting into schools with strict academic requirements as opposed to your average stud white player. There are more stud black players. This is clearly evident in the NFL as he also stated.

Now, is he saying that black people are stupid? No, he's saying that the stud black athletes typically have lower grades and standardized test scores than white people which means that they cannot get into Notre Dame.

The guy is not a politican and I'm sure when he was saying this stuff it was just a spur of the moment, non-rehearsed, sort of conversation. People can read that crap however they want to read it to make a good guy look bad. Enjoy yourselves.

It doesn't matter what he said. All that matters is that he mentioned race, so he's automatically called a racist. It's pathetic but it's true. Just look at the responses in this thread.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I love his retraction... he goes from saying that black athletes are too stupid to get into Notre Dame to saying that ALL athletes are too stupid to get into Notre Dame.

woowoo

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2003
I worked for this man for a couple of years.
He is a heavy gambler
That's how he approches everything.

(And he is an ID10T)

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Well, when I was coming out of HS black students were apparently much dumber than I was. My grades and test scores weren't good enough to get a full ride anywhere...because I was white. If I had been black, hell...they would have gold-plated my dorm room if asked. Maybe Hornung has a point.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Wonder what old Willingham has to say about this

But isn't what he said the same thing as affirmative action?

:evil:

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs
I love his retraction... he goes from saying that black athletes are too stupid to get into Notre Dame to saying that ALL athletes are too stupid to get into Notre Dame.

Ahh, but he never said anything about 'stupidity'. He said that they needed to lower the standards at Notre Dame to get the black athletes.. You are directly correlating grades/standardized test scores with intelligence just like everyone else who is reading this incorrectly. I think anyone who is of any intelligence would tell you that grades/test scores mean absolutely squat. But, when it comes to getting into college, they mean everything.

It's not a hard case to make that blacks and whites and etc. are equally intelligent 'races'. However, it's not a hard stretch to say that the top black athletes come from educational systems that are not geared towards assisting them in achieving great grades or stellar test scores. They're constantly told to strive for the bare minimum and to focus on their respective sport(s).

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I don't even know where to begin with this one ... Anyway, here goes:

It seems like a number of you have thewrong impression of Affirmative Action. The ideal/spirit/concept of AA is to produce a level playing field for everyone. Unfortunately, AA has been implemented in the form of quotas and other methods that seem to indicate that "the bar" has been lowered. And because quotas and other methods have been successful in removing complaints of discrimination, a certain acceptable peace has been restored. But, again, the true intent of AA has not been satisfied. It's just that no one is complaining about it anymore.

The real issue that needs to be addressed *this time* is why there is a wide range in academic performance. Only a foolish person would say it's genetic or something like that. Admittedly, I'm sure there are several examples of folks who accept that foolish thinking and use it as a crutch. I'd like to believe that it is more of a difference in resources and opportunities. And I also believe that those with resources and opportunities to give tend to hold on to them more than sharing them openly and evenly. If we can reach a state where resources and opportunities are unlimited or are spead evenly, then the differences (which tend to fall along racial lines) will cease to exist. I just wish I knew how best to get us all started in that direction.

-SUO