Notre Dame Cathedral is burning to the ground as I type this

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Professional firefighters called Trump's proposal impractical at best. Deploying the kinds of airplanes used to fight forest fires would be dangerous in an urban area, they said, noting that force of the water could knock the building down and threaten firefighters on the ground.

"The drop of water by air on this type of building could indeed result in the collapse of the entire structure," the French government civil defense agency tweeted.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Probably a stupid plumber soldering a joint on a copper pipe. I had a plumbing leak in a copper pipe at my last home. I had a plumber come and "fix" the leak. Half hour after the plumber left, and just as we were about to leave the house, my wife saw that there was smoke coming out from under the cabinet where the sink is. The dumbass set the wall behind the cabinet on fire. If she hadn't noticed, the fire department said our whole house would have burned down. The Fire department tore my whole kitchen wall and cabinets apart getting to all of the fire. What a freakin' mess. Insurance covered the damage but when they went after this bonded and insured plumbing company, he filed for bankruptcy. He never paid a dime in damages.

The contractor filing for bankruptcy wouldn't stop his liability insurance from paying, it just might make it hard for his insurance company to collect the deductible. Unless his coverage had already lapsed because he was broke before he set your house on fire

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
man, i've always wanted to go there

never did because i worry about going to a non-english speaking place
y1IFwRZ.png
Sorry but, for an educated man, you say some really dumb things sometimes.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Isn't the Notre Dame Cathedral a very important culture landmark of the French? Damn shame that is has survived centuries and is now burning to the ground.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Very sad to hear.

Apparently we were in Paris visiting Notre Dame 4 years ago to the day. My wife's facebook profile did that thing where its like "4 years ago today..." and showed a picture of the cathedral. Me: "Welp...doesn't look like that anymore"

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
So if Notre Dame is in Paris, why do they call their team the fighting Irish? It makes no sense.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Very sad to see.
It really is very sad indeed. :(

I never visted the cathedral, I would need to be on a vacation to see it, as I live in the United States. I am not sure if I learned this in my history clas back in school days, but what is special about this cathedral? Sorry if this question is in any way an insult to catholics, as I am not catholic, if the speciallity of the cathedral is something religous to cathlics.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It really is very sad indeed. :(

I never visted the cathedral, I would need to be on a vacation to see it, as I live in the United States. I am not sure if I learned this in my history clas back in school days, but what is special about this cathedral? Sorry if this question is in any way an insult to catholics, as I am not catholic, if the speciallity of the cathedral is something religous to cathlics.
It is a very important Cultural and Histstorical icon of the the French Nation.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Maybe it's just my perspective, but the firefighters didn't appear to have a clue how to fight a fire or were they just under equipped. It looked pathetic from the videos I've seen. Esp when you compare it to videos of some of the major fires in the US and other countries.

Sad to see it go. I doubt they will be able to rebuild it as I don't think the skill set to rebuild it exist anymore.

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
Maybe it's just my perspective, but the firefighters didn't appear to have a clue how to fight a fire or were they just under equipped. It looked pathetic from the videos I've seen. Esp when you compare it to videos of some of the major fires in the US and other countries.

Sad to see it go. I doubt they will be able to rebuild it as I don't think the skill set to rebuild it exist anymore.
How many of those fires are 110+ feet in the air?
(The 2 towers are about 225’ high and the spire was almost 300’ high)

So far, $600M+ has been pledged by a few billionaires
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/notre-dame-billionaire-pledges-200-million-euros-a4118781.html

Anything is possible with enough money, but I’m sure it will take longer than a typical stadium due to the detail.