Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris on Fire

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 25, 2011
So far about $650M has been pledged so far, but to remake the Cathedral as historically accurate as possible will likely take a century and many billions of dollars. People will need to learn skills that died off long ago. How many masons are expert on something like this, or carpenters? There will have to be a lot of research and training before reconstruction and acquisition of materials that aren't used anymore.
There are a lot of skilled people in France and Europe as a whole whose entire lives are committed to this type of restoration. The French have been doing it for decades. I don’t think finding the skilled people will be as hard as you envision.

Reactions: feralkid

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There are a lot of skilled people in France and Europe as a whole whose entire lives are committed to this type of restoration. The French have been doing it for decades. I don’t think finding the skilled people will be as hard as you envision.

I hope you are right but it's not like there was unemployment before. If I were starting over in life this sort of thing would be worth doing.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The Germans and the Polish have alos been doing thjis for a very long time!!

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Omar did it.

/horrible sarcasm

Damn, just watched the spire collapse :(

I have some Muslim friends who were (half joking) saying "oh no, please don't let it be a Muslim, please don't let it be a Muslim..."

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
It's been awhile since Ted Cruz reminded everyone that he's Absolutely The Worst, so the 50-rats-wearing-a-human-skin-who-are-each-500-cockroaches-wearing-a-rat-skin took to Twitter to dunk on Disney for donating to the reconstruction of Notre Dame;

The Zodiac Killer - "Wonderful! Will we see Disney princesses in the new stained glass?"

The goblin-like creature which controls the bellows used to create wind in his festering innards and produce a mockery of hoo-mon speech was unavailable for comment.

Not only was Cruz's attack on Disney mean-spirited (and tone-deaf), it seems remarkably free of strategic benefit for him. Who did he expect to please with that comment? NBC-Universal? Catholics? At this point, all Cruz knows is that the right wing base enjoys childish insults that are spewed forth with no forethought whatsoever. It does not matter who is being insulted, or why. That's not the point. The point is to go "hurr hurr dat's a good one". That's all. That's the level of right wing political sophistication now.

It wasn't insulting to Disney fans, but to the 4.8 million Catholics... 19% of the State, the largest denomination... it should be insulting as hell.