Nothing to do about the brand wars?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Eureka, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

Maybe I never noticed it before, but CPU and VC&G have turned into all out branding war. Any topic involving a driver turns into a rat race to the bottom. I understand that there's a desire to keep the discussions open but there's not much of a discussion anymore. Is there nothing to be done about this? I'm finding myself put off by a lot of the nonsense around here.

2. lopri

lopri Elite Member

It has become a completely different place. Back in the days, fanboys were just that - fanboys. They liked their hardware and wanted to defend their purchases and brand loyalty.

Over time, things have changed. Corporations realized that viral marketing online can make or break a product, and they have been engaging in furtive operations (or so I hear, don't quote me on that)

Today, the big corporations no longer needs such a shills operation, IMHO. Some of the sub forums have been completely overtaken by those who have actuarial financial stakes in the corporations' success. They will not disclose, but it's painfully obvious to my jaded eyes.* There is very little discussion about tech, and every other discussion is about a company's financial or eventuality of such. I stopped going those places completely.

*Disclamer: I have never worked, owned stocks, nor have had family members who work for any of the oft-discussed tech companies.

3. lopri

lopri Elite Member