Nothing but lip service being paid to our soldiers by this administration.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

Issue Date: June 30, 2003

Editorial
Nothing but lip service

In recent months, President Bush and the Republican-controlled Congress have missed no opportunity to heap richly deserved praise on the military. But talk is cheap ? and getting cheaper by the day, judging from the nickel-and-dime treatment the troops are getting lately.

For example, the White House griped that various pay-and-benefits incentives added to the 2004 defense budget by Congress are wasteful and unnecessary ? including a modest proposal to double the $6,000 gratuity paid to families of troops who die on active duty. This comes at a time when Americans continue to die in Iraq at a rate of about one a day.

Similarly, the administration announced that on Oct. 1 it wants to roll back recent modest increases in monthly imminent-danger pay (from $225 to $150) and family-separation allowance (from $250 to $100) for troops getting shot at in combat zones.

Then there?s military tax relief ? or the lack thereof. As Bush and Republican leaders in Congress preach the mantra of tax cuts, they can?t seem to find time to make progress on minor tax provisions that would be a boon to military homeowners, reservists who travel long distances for training and parents deployed to combat zones, among others.

Incredibly, one of those tax provisions ? easing residency rules for service members to qualify for capital-gains exemptions when selling a home ? has been a homeless orphan in the corridors of power for more than five years now.

The chintz even extends to basic pay. While Bush?s proposed 2004 defense budget would continue higher targeted raises for some ranks, he also proposed capping raises for E-1s, E-2s and O-1s at 2 percent, well below the average raise of 4.1 percent.

The Senate version of the defense bill rejects that idea, and would provide minimum 3.7 percent raises for all and higher targeted hikes for some. But the House version of the bill goes along with Bush, making this an issue still to be hashed out in upcoming negotiations.

All of which brings us to the latest indignity ? Bush?s $9.2 billion military construction request for 2004, which was set a full $1.5 billion below this year?s budget on the expectation that Congress, as has become tradition in recent years, would add funding as it drafted the construction appropriations bill.

But Bush?s tax cuts have left little elbow room in the 2004 federal budget that is taking shape, and the squeeze is on across the board.

The result: Not only has the House Appropriations military construction panel accepted Bush?s proposed $1.5 billion cut, it voted to reduce construction spending by an additional $41 million next year.

Rep. David Obey, D-Wis., senior Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee, took a stab at restoring $1 billion of the $1.5 billion cut in Bush?s construction budget. He proposed to cover that cost by trimming recent tax cuts for the roughly 200,000 Americans who earn more than $1 million a year. Instead of a tax break of $88,300, they would receive $83,500.

The Republican majority on the construction appropriations panel quickly shot Obey down. And so the outlook for making progress next year in tackling the huge backlog of work that needs to be done on crumbling military housing and other facilities is bleak at best.

Taken piecemeal, all these corner-cutting moves might be viewed as mere flesh wounds. But even flesh wounds are fatal if you suffer enough of them. It adds up to a troubling pattern that eventually will hurt morale ? especially if the current breakneck operations tempo also rolls on unchecked and the tense situations in Iraq and Afghanistan do not ease.

Rep. Chet Edwards, D-Texas, who notes that the House passed a resolution in March pledging ?unequivocal support? to service members and their families, puts it this way: ?American military men and women don?t deserve to be saluted with our words and insulted by our actions.?

Translation: Money talks ? and we all know what walks.

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php%3Ff%3D0-ARMYPAPER-1954515.php

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Our military is voluntary. If you don't like the pay, go do something else. However, I haven't heard a single soldier complain, and I know a lot of them, all in different positions.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
For example, the White House griped that various pay-and-benefits incentives added to the 2004 defense budget by Congress are wasteful and unnecessary ? including a modest proposal to double the $6,000 gratuity paid to families of troops who die on active duty. This comes at a time when Americans continue to die in Iraq at a rate of about one a day.

You've got to be kidding me....we only give $6,000 to a solider for giving his life in the name of this country? :|:|:|

We can give millions in settlement to people who agree not to sue the airlines over 9/11...and give $15,000,000 per head on Saddam's sons...but we only give a F#@#$@#$cking $6,000 TIP to the families of a dead soldier. Both Republicans and Democrats should be ashamed!

Join the military.....defend Freedom...get shafted by your "governement boss"...no matter Dem. or Rep. :|:|:|

(IMO)

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Our military is voluntary. If you don't like the pay, go do something else. However, I haven't heard a single soldier complain, and I know a lot of them, all in different positions.

Yep...and with treatment like that....we won't have enough volunteers to fill the ranks.........

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Engineer

You've got to be kidding me....we only give $6,000 to a solider for giving his life in the name of this country? :|:|:|

We can give millions in settlement to people who agree not to sue the airlines over 9/11...and give $15,000,000 per head on Saddam's sons...but we only give a F#@#$@#$cking $6,000 TIP to the families of a dead soldier. Both Republicans and Democrats should be ashamed!

Join the military.....defend Freedom...get shafted by your "governement boss"...no matter Dem. or Rep. :|:|:|

(IMO)
The $6,000 "gratuity" is intended to cover immediate survivor expenses before SGLI kicks in.

SGLI or Servicemember's Group Life Insurance covers up to $250,000 unless declined by the servicemember. Some decline the policy. There was one instance in which a CPT had indeed declined the policy. She was killed in a helicopter crash while transporting members of some foreign group. A stink was raised because the government reimbursed survivors of the foreign group, but not her family - even though she declined the policy. I believe the government paid out $50,000 to her family anyway.

I'll comment on the rest of this article later on. There is some outdated and misconstrued information in it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We need the money to pay the defense contractors who secretly start wars to sell goods to give soldiers a job so they need weapons.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
"President Bush is asking Congress for $80 billion dollars to re-build Iraq. And when you make out that check, remember there are two L's in Halliburton."

- David Letterman, "Late Show," September 8, 2003

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: burnedout

(IMO)
The $6,000 "gratuity" is intended to cover immediate survivor expenses before SGLI kicks in.

SGLI or Servicemember's Group Life Insurance covers up to $250,000 unless declined by the servicemember. Some decline the policy. There was one instance in which a CPT had indeed declined the policy. She was killed in a helicopter crash while transporting members of some foreign group. A stink was raised because the government reimbursed survivors of the foreign group, but not her family - even though she declined the policy. I believe the government paid out $50,000 to her family anyway.

I'll comment on the rest of this article later on. There is some outdated and misconstrued information in it.

Why do people decline the policy?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Gaard
Originally posted by: burnedout

(IMO)

Why do people decline the policy?

Who knows. I've had people tell me that they can get cheaper insurance, just didn't want it, etc. It's $16.25/mo for $250K of term life insurance.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Who knows. I've had people tell me that they can get cheaper insurance, just didn't want it, etc. It's $16.25/mo for $250K of term life insurance.
Is that premium for you, old man? If that's the standard premium for all GIs I would refuse it b/c that's a BS offer.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Is that premium for you, old man? If that's the standard premium for all GIs I would refuse it b/c that's a BS offer.

That 's the standard premium, zygote. I always though it was a pretty good rate for active duty military risk group.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I personally feel if we can give money left and right to anyone and everyone, we can give a nice PHAT check to a soldiers family killed in the line of duty for this country. Nothing against any of the victims or their families of 9/11 or anyone else.....but the soldiers deserve it more than any of them.

(IMO)

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
That 's the standard premium, zygote. I always though it was a pretty good rate for active duty military risk group.
Considering the current occupant of the White House I would have to agree that rate is pretty good.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
The premium schedule is variable depending upon amount of coverage.

Premium Schedule

Currently, servicemembers can elect anywhere from $10,000 to $250,000 coverage which is one hell of a lot better than when I first entered active duty in 1980. Back then, we paid $4.00 per month for $20,000 coverage. Today, they pay $1.30/mo. for the same. SGLI has been in effect since 1965.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: VioletAura
Supply them with enough beer and they will be happy. See tiger post for details.
You need to

S T O P P O S T I N G !

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It's a volunteer army, so if you don't like being a free rent-a-cop for Kellogg Brown and Root who rake in billions, while if you die your family gets a pittance, you don't have to sign up.

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
The way the government, especially this administration, has treated the armed forces has always been disgraceful.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, one by one, I'll refute the lies and misstatements of this article. They are significant and insidious.

Not having had anyone die in my family recently, thankfully, I have no idea how much a funeral costs these days -- not an elaborate funeral, just a funeral so I have no basis to judge whether or not an increase in the death benefit is necessary. This author gives no proof that a raise is necessary either, just merely states it. If $6,000 is adequate, why should it be raised?

Similarly, the administration announced that on Oct. 1 it wants to roll back recent modest increases in monthly imminent-danger pay (from $225 to $150) and family-separation allowance (from $250 to $100) for troops getting shot at in combat zones.

And the administration has said that it would compensate for any loss here with additional pay elsewhere, perhaps in the form of targeted pay increases for specific regions. It's being addressed by the administration -- granted, thanks to the press attention given the issue.

Then there?s military tax relief ? or the lack thereof. As Bush and Republican leaders in Congress preach the mantra of tax cuts, they can?t seem to find time to make progress on minor tax provisions that would be a boon to military homeowners, reservists who travel long distances for training and parents deployed to combat zones, among others.

Suddenly everyone in Congress is part of the administration. How does that work?

Incredibly, one of those tax provisions ? easing residency rules for service members to qualify for capital-gains exemptions when selling a home ? has been a homeless orphan in the corridors of power for more than five years now.

Wow, even the Clinton administration is part of the Bush administration!!

The chintz even extends to basic pay. While Bush?s proposed 2004 defense budget would continue higher targeted raises for some ranks, he also proposed capping raises for E-1s, E-2s and O-1s at 2 percent, well below the average raise of 4.1 percent.

Blithely failing to mention that basic pay has increased substantially over the past two years with pay raises up to 6% and higher for certain ranks. These pay raises are meant to counter people leaving the services in critical year groups, ie. for retention, so therefore retention pay increases are not necessary for those governed by their initial service contracts (E-1/E-2 and O-1). Also, the raise between O-1 and O-2 is substantial (around $700-800 per month). E-1/E-2 pay is the equivalent to what a high school graduate could expect from working right after graduation, plus free room and board, free medical care, technical training, and the opportunity to travel to nearly any place in the world depending on the career field.

All of which brings us to the latest indignity ? Bush?s $9.2 billion military construction request for 2004, which was set a full $1.5 billion below this year?s budget on the expectation that Congress, as has become tradition in recent years, would add funding as it drafted the construction appropriations bill.

One of the largest reasons why military construction has been put on hold is the worldwide review of military installations being done right now which will decide which bases stay and which will be closed or modified. As part of that determination, it was decided that funding large construction projects for bases which might close or which might need vastly different facilities (larger or otherwise) was senseless. I guess the author didn't bother to consider that, but that fits with the junior high school reporting of the Army Times and its sister publications.

It's not that smart to refuse it, but many people counsel to supplement it with a civilian policy because the "good deal" doesn't follow you into civilian life. I've heard that the equivalent, VGLI, is a rip-off.

I agree with Engineer's comment regarding compensation for those who have died, however. Why some people should become millionaires because their family member died in a terrorist attack while another may get some money because her husband was out serving his country is disgraceful. Where are the concerts to raise money for the new widows from the war? I guess the celebrities don't care about the "baby killers".

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: AndrewR

It's not that smart to refuse it, but many people counsel to supplement it with a civilian policy because the "good deal" doesn't follow you into civilian life. I've heard that the equivalent, VGLI, is a rip-off.
VGLI is a rip-off compared to SGLI. My retirement counselor, who himself had already been retired for 20 years at the time, showed how VGLI makes up for what SGLI loses. As one ages, the premiums skyrocket.