notebooks with 2 simultaneous external displays

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Looking for a thin notebook that's able to drive 2 simultaneous external displays. I like this Samung:
http://www.samsung.com/us/business/computing/laptops/NP900X3L-K04US

And the specs show both a Mini-VGA and Mini-HDMI port, but the specs and manual do not mention if both can be used simultaneously.

In my past experience I've found that it's hit or miss - sometimes it's one or the other, and sometimes both can be used at once.

Is there a trick to finding this out if the documentation does not mention it? Samsung support has no idea... very frustrating.

ggadrian

May 23, 2013
At work I drive two external displays with my Elitebook 845G2, one using VGA and the other with displayport.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
One thing I'm not clear on: do you mean 3 unique displays, or is one of them mirroring the laptop screen (so really a dual-monitor setup)?

ggadrian

May 23, 2013
One thing I'm not clear on: do you mean 3 unique displays, or is one of them mirroring the laptop screen (so really a dual-monitor setup)?

I mean the laptop screen plus two displays. I use the laptop screen just for outlook, since is much smaller than the other two displays and not very comfortable to work on, but I have a total of three displays.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I mean the laptop screen plus two displays. I use the laptop screen just for outlook, since is much smaller than the other two displays and not very comfortable to work on, but I have a total of three displays.

Thanks, but I meant what does the OP need -- 3 distinct displays? 2 external displays with the laptop screen not needed?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I run 3 external displays off my dock on my Inspiron 5420 at work, laptop screen off.

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hi -

I thought of a USB-based adapter and/or USB-based dock but my experience with them in the past has not been great. Are newer products solid?

I wanted to drive 2 external displays, no need for the notebook's built-in display when the external displays are attached. But I guess having 3 simultaneous would be even better.

I ended up looking at some reviews of Samsung's Mini-VGA to VGA adapter and some users report running 2 external displays with the notebook so hopefully I'm good to go.

It's pretty sad how poor documentation is nowadays! The manual for this notebook looks like it was written to cover about 12 different models so is so vague.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I have a Dell M3800 that I run triple head with. I run two external 24" Dell 2412M displays with, plus the laptops own display. Works fine. One display runs off HDMI, the other off mini display port.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Have you thought about using a USB-based monitor for the third display?

http://www.howtogeek.com/194319/the-htg-guide-to-adding-an-extra-monitor-to-your-laptop/

Otherwise, I'm not much help :) -- I don't think you can tell based on ports or the video card / IGP type whether or not the laptop supports 3 simultaneous displays.

Maybe a google search on "laptop 3 displays" / "3 screens" / "3 monitors" would work.

Those USB video adapters are HUGE CPU hogs. I tried using one, and my laptops i7 sat at 20-25% load all the time, with the fan constantly kicking on. The CPU is having to encode all video data into a stream that work work over USB, and its just not very efficient.

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
Hi -

I thought of a USB-based adapter and/or USB-based dock but my experience with them in the past has not been great. Are newer products solid?

I wanted to drive 2 external displays, no need for the notebook's built-in display when the external displays are attached. But I guess having 3 simultaneous would be even better.

I ended up looking at some reviews of Samsung's Mini-VGA to VGA adapter and some users report running 2 external displays with the notebook so hopefully I'm good to go.

It's pretty sad how poor documentation is nowadays! The manual for this notebook looks like it was written to cover about 12 different models so is so vague.
most devices in the past 5+ years can drive two independent displays (externally, as long as you have two external ports built in)

people have questions/issues with driving three independent displays (two external + internal or 3 externals). typically, you need at least one displayport/thunderbolt connector, but lately you can do it with purely dvi/hdmi/vga ports on some machines(2 external using dvi/hdmi/vga + internal)

I agree - it's not well documented. some desktop mobo manufactureres do tell you (mobo would have 2xdvi + hdmi + vga, but only 2 independent displays at the same tiem)

Last edited:

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks guys. Also thanks for confirming my concerns about the USB video adapters & docks.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010