Notebook locks- How effective are they?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I bought THIS

The lock case is plastic.

Also, how hard is it to pull the lock from the laptop body?

How effective is this lock?

THX!

Jan 26, 2005
I guess they would be fairly strong. You could do a google for reviews. If you really want to konw how strong it is you could lock your laptop down and try to "steal" it. sorry for the joke, I couldn't resist.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: inspiron8200guy
I guess they would be fairly strong. You could do a google for reviews. If you really want to konw how strong it is you could lock your laptop down and try to "steal" it. sorry for the joke, I couldn't resist.

be warned, if you try this, the alarm is extremely loud. Enough to make your ears ring. Wear ear protection if you want to "Test" the lock

Edit: nm, the one you got isnt one of the alarm ones. hmm seems like you can take a pair of diagonal wire cutters to it...

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
yup, but can they pry the lock off the laptop body? as in yank it hard?

pulsedrive

Apr 19, 2005
Yeah, quite easily actually, but depending on how new your laptop is, last year or so, the locking slot will be attached to important things on the inside that if they do "rip" it off then they will have a worthless paper weight.

niggles

Jan 10, 2002
no lock is fully secure, they can all be removed in some manner. It's good for stopping people from running away with your PC if you turn around for a minute, I would make any bets on keeping it beyond that though. This is why no lock comes with built in inusrance, the locks are light weight, and the Laptops you're connecting them to can have the lock seperated from the body pretty simply. Some of the Targus locks are super cheap and you can just pull them apart. Alarms are good only if someone is going to do something about the alarm going off.