Notebook affected by Sandy Bridge flaw

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by xplatinum, Feb 2, 2011.

1. xplatinum

xplatinum Junior Member

Last saturday I bought a Samsung NP-RF711 notebook. Sporting a i7-2630QM processor. No official words from Samsung yet on which models are affected, but judging by retailers pulling the model I highly doubt it's safe.

My question: SATA0 and SATA1 are used by HDDs while SATA2 is used by the ODD. Is it possible on a notebook, to hook the ODD to SATA1 and drop the secondary HDD ?

Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Notebook affected Sandy Forum Date
    Problem with HP notebook SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Jan 29, 2017
    Looking for a mid-range notebook with ExpressCard slot or Firewire 6-pin SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Jan 12, 2017
    New gaming notebook - techs to looks for? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Nov 25, 2016
    Win 8.1 Notebook 'Power Options - Edit Plan Settings - Turn Off the Display' not functioning propery SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Nov 21, 2016
    Sandy bridge notebooks on amazon.com and newegg affected by intel bug? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Feb 1, 2011

3. themillak

themillak Member

without looking up your specific laptop, i know in mine the sata ports are strategically located where the hdd bays are and it wouldn't be possible to switch them.

the other question is if you even really want to "gimp" your laptop by shorting yourself a hard drive because of a design flaw.

4. xplatinum

xplatinum Junior Member

I would rather have 1xHDD and 1xODD than 2xHDD and no ODD at all. And it's a Bluray drive... sucks to think that one day it might stop working. I would trade my 2nd HD spot anyday for the ODD.

Right now I have 2x500gb 5400rpm. If it was possible to plug the ODD in SATA1 I would have bought a 1TB 7200rpm to compensate.

I really don't know what I'm gonna do. Keep everything and HOPE nothing happens... or send back to Samsung and have nothing in the meantime.

my notebook: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131117

my model has 6gb ram, 2x500gb and a bluray drive.

5. Dankk

Dankk Diamond Member

Personally, I would consider returning it. It looks like many other retailers/manufacturers are accepting returns based on the recently-discovered chipset flaw, I don't see why Samsung wouldn't. I'm sorry if you have no alternative machine to use if you send it back though.

6. xplatinum

xplatinum Junior Member

Samsung already said they would offer refunds for affected devices, though no official statement has been made publicly.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/01/samsung-offering-refunds-for-pcs-affected-by-sandy-bridge-glitch/

I wonder how it's gonna work. I send it back now and get another one in APRIL ? That would suck big time.