Note 2 vs Nexus 4

jav3

Jun 18, 2001
I need help on this one. I'll be off contract w/ AT&T in 3 weeks, so I'm looking to replace my Samsung Infuse. I'm bouncing between these two (plus maybe the Optimus G). Obviously size isn't an issue. I'm grandfathered on unlimited data as well. I'm leaning towards getting the Note 2 and signing up for another 2 years. It will give me some of the best performance, good battery life, and 4.2. Downside is I will be stuck with 4.2 for a long time, maybe forever.

What does everyone else think?

Jeff

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
4.2? I thought it has 4.1? The note 2 is awesome. I have yet to see a Nexus 4... in real life.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
It's actually a simpler decision than you think.

If you're staying with AT&T post-paid service, get a Note 2 on contract. You'll get LTE and grandfathered unlimited data for a fat monthly bill.

If you're ditching AT&T post-paid for a less expensive service (like Straight Talk's $45/month unlimited voice/text/2GB plan) then get a Nexus 4 off-contract. Low monthly bill, HSDPA data, and zero-day updates to the newest stock releases of Android.

Staying with AT&T post-paid AND getting a Nexus 4 off-contract is basically giving AT&T free money.

jav3

Jun 18, 2001
Thanks for the quick replies!

I double checked, and the note 2 is 4.1. Supposed to be upgraded to 4.2 first quarter. Maybe.

I'm already 2 GM +/- per month, between streaming music, DL's, and web content. Straighttalk is an option, but I will need more than 2 GB.

Jeff

noblemo

Apr 15, 2011
My preference is the Note II, but the decision depends on your requirements (price, network coverage, use of Note II phablet apps, etc).

Dice144

Oct 22, 2010
Love my Note 2. Micro SD was a welcome additional over my old phone that did not have it. Battery life is insanely good. I can watch 3 Fringes episodes, a full 2 hour movie and still have 50% battery life for texting/more videos.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Love my Note 2. Micro SD was a welcome additional over my old phone that did not have it. Battery life is insanely good. I can watch 3 Fringes episodes, a full 2 hour movie and still have 50% battery life for texting/more videos.

The only problem I'm having with this device is the size.

Also, the fact is I'm on VZW, and I haven't seen any reviews or about a hands-on time with their device. I want to know if it's actually going to have good battery life and if it is going to even have good reception. Samsung devices are EXTREMELY hit or miss. >_<

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Not sure why you can't decide between these two. One is much larger, and a lot of its features are geared towards the bundled stylus. The other is stock android, and typical phone size.

So if you want that stylus, go Note 2. If you want Stock Android, go Nexus.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
If the size isn't an issue Note 2 gets my vote. Reasoning being better battery life, larger screen, likely better camera.

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
4.2 isn't a big deal unless you have a tablet. In fact, it may even be more trouble than it's worth (crappy toggles, lock widget security hole).

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
where do you live? have you considered note 2 or nexus 4 on tmobile? you can get unlimited data for $20.

Homer Simpson

Oct 10, 1999
i was in a similar boat. i'd been looking forward to the note2 but kinda had my eye on the nexus4 as well. after going to a tmo store to see the note2 in person, i was sold. fantastic screen, killer battery life, lightweight and thin. i also appreciate the microsd. i keep all my music on that so i dont have to stream stuff and lose quality, eat bandwidth. im quite happy and honestly, aside from quick OS updates, i dont know what advantage the nexus has other than size maybe, if you have small hands. never been a huge touchwiz fan, but its better on jellybean than previous iterations though still has some useless features. its growing on me and i can throw nova launcher on there if i decide i want something different. i can honestly see this replacing my galaxy tab 7 plus too. my eyes appreciate the screen much more. text is much crisper and easier to read.