Not sure which is ATX 12V power connector

teknodude

Apr 11, 2002
Ok... I feel really dumb... RTFM several hundred times, but don't wanna switch on my new baby and watch it die in sparks!

I've not had experience with the new 4-pin ATX 12V power connector before. The PSU I have (Tagan 480W) has 3 plugs in this style, 2 of them have P4 on them however, which I presume are irrelevant to me as I have an MSI K8N Neo Platinum with an AMD 64 3000+. The other 4-pin plug however does not match up to the wires that the motherboard manual says the plug should have (the mobo manual says 2 of the wires should be grounds, whereas there's only one ground).This other 4-pin plug is however detachable from the ATX 20-pin power connector, so it only seems logical it's the correct one? I'm really confused!

Please help as this is the only thing preventing me from booting up my new baby!

Thanks,

teknodude

Zucarita9000

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2001
I would assume that the "P4" labeled connector will work ok with your AMD64 cpu. 12v is always 12v. Some of the new PSUs come with more than one 12v connector, wich will be used for future PCIe graphics cards.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Matthias99
Guh? How do you have more than 1 4-pin ATX power connector on your PSU?

Lol. THe pin out is like this:

O..O <--Actual Pin Holes
O..O
__ <--Retaining clip

Im sure you could have found this if you searched.

-Kevin

teknodude

Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Zucarita9000
I would assume that the "P4" labeled connector will work ok with your AMD64 cpu. 12v is always 12v. Some of the new PSUs come with more than one 12v connector, wich will be used for future PCIe graphics cards.

Well there's one labelled "P4" and the other "P4+" ? And the other 4-pin one, which can be detached from the 20-pin ATX connectoer, has "E" on it.

Transition

Banned
Sep 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
Originally posted by: Matthias99
Guh? How do you have more than 1 4-pin ATX power connector on your PSU?

Lol. THe pin out is like this:

O..O <--Actual Pin Holes
O..O
__ <--Retaining clip

Im sure you could have found this if you searched.

-Kevin

How could he have searched for that? Let's try to help the guy rather then ridiculing him.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
What are you talking about im not ridiculing the guy. There is only 1 connector that could possibly fit this! All he had to do was do a google search and get pics.

As for detached from the 20pin ATX i have no clue what you are talking about. Someone else might know what you are talking about, bur i have never heard of it.

-Kevin

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: teknodude
Originally posted by: Zucarita9000

Well there's one labelled "P4" and the other "P4+" ? And the other 4-pin one, which can be detached from the 20-pin ATX connectoer, has "E" on it.

Ah, you got a server power supply for some reason. Had you mentioned the exact model number, this would have been easier.

The "E" one is for EPS12V -- you don't need that. If you had a server board (like a Xeon or Opteron motherboard), there would be a place to plug it in. I'm guessing either "P4" or "P4+" will work -- they might just be the same connections on different rails (possibly for multiple CPUs, since this is apparently a server PSU). Of course, the manual for your PSU should describe them (I would hope), although their English is sometimes a bit lacking...

teknodude

Apr 11, 2002
You da man! Thanks :-D My super SEXY TIME EXPLOSION PC is now running...

... oh yah baby! Watch Ali G kids...

teknodude