not sure this is the right place, but how do i rip shows/movies from Tivo?

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
people rip stuff off of Tivo here all the time, such as clips from late shows (leno and co.). I need to find out how to do it get a clip of Bette Midler award show for a family member.

edi sucks

Apr 14, 2005
why would this be illegal? i'd like to know how to do this too so I can get that tom cruise vs. matt lauer clip on my computer...

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Hyperblaze
we don't condone piracy here.

Is using a VCR to record a TV show piracy? Supreme Court said no in Sony v. Universal Studios. How does moving a program from a TIVO to another medium suddenly become piracy?

I just use the built in piracy function in my DirecTIVO to do this. They call it "Save to VCR".

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
ok, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I got the file off of Tivo, *.tivo file i believe. I can get it to some mpeg form and want to compress the file into a more manageable size via divx or some other encoder, but virtualdub can't do it for some reason. Any suggestions?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
I thought there was software that let you do it straight from them using wma with copy protection...no?

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
I would get Tivo if I could rip stuff from it. But now... hellfire, if I record to vhs, I have them forever. But with Tivo.... eventually, I will have to start deleting stuff for new stuff. So, if I cannot save the old stuff to DVD before deleting it to record new stuff.. There is no point for me to have Tivo.

:)

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
I would get Tivo if I could rip stuff from it. But now... hellfire, if I record to vhs, I have them forever. But with Tivo.... eventually, I will have to start deleting stuff for new stuff. So, if I cannot save the old stuff to DVD before deleting it to record new stuff.. There is no point for me to have Tivo.

http://www.tivo.com/2.1.2.asp

iamfried

Jan 28, 2001
If you have the tivo to go functionality, all of this becomes very easy to do. It allows you to move the fiels over to your computer. Then, if you go to the tivo site, you will see that they are helping to market the Sonic MyDVD software so that you can then burn the movies/tv shows/what ever it is you watch on tv over to a DVD which is viewable in any DVD player.
I would think that if the Tivo website is advertising this, it is anything but piracy to move it to the DVD.
It is what you do with it after you put it on a DVD that could make it piracy. If you are doing it so that you have a copy of a movie for your own personal collection, this is not piracy. I just made a DVD of a movie off of my tivo and feel 100% confident that I did absolutely nothing wrong.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: KarenMarie

http://www.tivo.com/2.1.2.asp

Thanks.... but for $400-500 ... I think the b/f would.... hmmm... he would think it was a frivilous expenditure.
;)

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
The non DirecTV TIVO's don't have the save to VCR function? I just run mine into my PC using standard AV cables from the TIVO to save them to disk and cap them in DVD MPEG format.