Not sure if i get the concept of "competing" for employment

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
I just can't find how this would ensure the best candidate for the job. If a job is being competed for, doesn't that signify that instead of competing for it, a person should just find something else to do? I'm wondering if the person who won against this competition for a said position may have very well needed the position more than the person who won out the battle for the job. And i am not sure if these even produces a superior product in the end(tho this could be debated)

Thoughts?

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
What do you mean by "competed for"? Every job position you are applying for is a competition, especially if you've gotten past the resume screeners. The interviewers are asking you questions relevant to the position you are hiring for, and if you give the best answers, you win the competition.

Now, if we had gladiator style competitions for jobs, then it would end in two different ways. One, end in the death of one or several applicants. The other would be that all other candidates would walk away if they saw they had no chance of winning, therefore the least qualified but highest possible kill ratio candidate would win.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Why does the hiring party care whether the person who was hired "needed it the most"? This criteria is irrelevant to them, they don't hire based on this criteria.