Not sure how to read speakers.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
Last edited by a moderator:

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
both are crap, but CA takes the cake at suckyness, don't even look that way. These are tolerable

/ibtm

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
CA is definitely shit. Logitech is shit to 'tolerable,' as mentioned.

These are probably still the best for reasonable money:
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMed...ds=klipsch+2.0

Not much has changed in PC speakers over the years.

Avoid stuff with single 2-3" drivers. A real two-way system (i.e. a tweeter and a midrange with a passive crossover in each speaker) is what you want if you actually like music and stuff.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Pick a pair of cheap bookshelf speaker like Sony or BIC or Yamaha, buy an old used avr from Craigslist or Goodwill, for under $150 you can set yourself up for a much better experience than any of these "2.1" systems will ever give you

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
Pick a pair of cheap bookshelf speaker like Sony or BIC or Yamaha, buy an old used avr from Craigslist or Goodwill, for under $150 you can set yourself up for a much better experience than any of these "2.1" systems will ever give you

exactly this.

most receivers you'll find will have optical or digital coax, and most onboard sound nowdays has SPDIF output.......so you'll be using the DAC's in the receiver and not the crappy ones on the sound card (and trust me ANY internal sound card has complete crap for DAC's compared to even mid-low end dedicated AVR's....

you'll also get a subwoofer pre-out from the AVR this way as well, so if you want some extra kick later, it's as simple as buying a powered subwoofer.....the receiver does all the crossover/LFE processing :) and other goodies like Dolby Digital/DTS

i'm a huge audiophile, and use an external (USB) sound card (has incredibly high quality DAC's) to a Yamaha PRE/PRO, powered studio monitors (Phase Linear 8812's) for 2 channel music listening.

center channel, rears, and subwoofer are powered by an Altec Lansing 5 channel amplifier (180x5)

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
CA is definitely shit. Logitech is shit to 'tolerable,' as mentioned.

These are probably still the best for reasonable money:
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMed...ds=klipsch+2.0

While I used to recommend those for PC speakers, I do what Zane suggested these days. The ultimate reliability of that Klipsch set is horrid. I've owned three of them and in every case, the amp, located in the sub, failed or began having problems....seems Klipsch uses the cheapest caps on earth and they last just long enough to get out of the warranty period. The set will fail within 18 months, almost a guarantee.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Logitech is shit to 'tolerable,' as mentioned.

Interesting, I didn't know people felt this way about Logitech speakers. I have a set of Z-2300 speakers that I've had for 8 or 9 years and I have no complaints. However, I'm no audiophile.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Try to find a good TEAC bookshelf stereo

Also, check B&H and similar websites for powered studio monitor speakers.