Not quite how I planned my evening.. at the ER

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Last time I went in to get cut, I ended up going back in 5 days later as the site started bleeding. I'm general non-reactive to most pain meds (when it starts hurting I'll keep hitting the button/take more pills) with it generally making me feel tired more than anything else, so I then sleep through most of the pain. Since I was readmitted and not in post op, I didn't get the morphine drip again, but got demoral shot through the iv. Wow. First time I can say I've actually noticed immediate effects as I could instantly feel my entire body start to get tingly feeling and all that good stuff. My revisit lasted 3 days, at the end of day 2 they shifted from demoral injections (one of the reason for the new bleeding and readmission was I wasn't responding enough to previous pain med given after first discharge) to demoral pills. It still did a good job keeping the pain out, but wasn't nearly the whole body effect.

Got a couple bottles of oxy after shredding some elbow tendons recently, does a good job as a pain block but otherwise does nothing for me, no idea why people are so enamored with it.

As for post recovery muscle control, oh yes indeed. As a kid ended up in a full body cast with a broken femur. Was so happy when they finally cut it off I hopped right off the gurney when the doc said to test how it feels. I stood up for about .03 seconds, as I held me weight for just as long as it took my toes to hit the floor and then the entire leg crumbled on me.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
wow you are getting out fast. i spent 2 days in the hospital. though the apendix was not where they thought it would be. they ended up cutting some stomach muscle and now i have a 3 inch scar that looks like a smile.

edit:the worst part of teh whole situation was the feeling before. i thought i was going to die. i felt sick, dizzy etc. at first i just put it off until my wife made me go to urgent care unit. NOTHING i would want to do again.

The chief of Neurosurgery at my hospital had his appendix taken out at 9 pm. he was back on rounds at 6AM the next day, crazy.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Hope you're doing well.

Mine went bad when I was 17. The arthroscopic surgery went without a hitch, but when they removed my air tube, it created a kind of hickey on my trachea, or a 'Negative pressure pulmonary oedema.' Instead of going home the next day, I ended up staying in the hospital for 3 or 4 more. When I woke up in recovery, I could barely breath. They gave me morphine.

Yeah, that's pretty much the worst part about it for me. My throat is pretty shredded up and I have a cut on my lip from being intubated. Honestly... I'd rather have strep than the way that shit feels.

My belly and everything feels okay though. A little sore. All I've taken since I got home was 2 advil, and that's mostly to fight off the migraine I've had from only getting a couple hours of sleep at a time and not eating/drinking all day yesterday (had zero appetite). Probably from the drug cocktail I was on there too.

I will say I do like morphine though. Straight up, that's some good shit.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah, that's pretty much the worst part about it for me. My throat is pretty shredded up and I have a cut on my lip from being intubated. Honestly... I'd rather have strep than the way that shit feels.

My belly and everything feels okay though. A little sore. All I've taken since I got home was 2 advil, and that's mostly to fight off the migraine I've had from only getting a couple hours of sleep at a time and not eating/drinking all day yesterday (had zero appetite). Probably from the drug cocktail I was on there too.

At one point they gave me morphine but I dunno if I felt it or not because of all the other crap they had me on prior. I was in a lot of pain and they injected me with the morphine but I still hurt for some reason

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I guess it's not very surprising that we don't have women coming in and telling of their C-section. How much smaller than a baby is an appendix?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I guess it's not very surprising that we don't have women coming in and telling of their C-section. How much smaller than a baby is an appendix?

Heh... I have 3 little incisions. The biggest I think they said was about 1/2" long.

On the other hand, being present for 5 C-Sections... yeah, no. Orders of magnitude.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
maybe i should post a pic of my scar. goes from belly button to bladder. they had to shuffle my insides around real good to drain everything. bladder is still kinda messed up from the whole affair. learned i was alergic to morphine too. :(

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
maybe i should post a pic of my scar. goes from belly button to bladder. they had to shuffle my insides around real good to drain everything. bladder is still kinda messed up from the whole affair. learned i was alergic to morphine too. :(

Yeah, mine is something to see also. Probably 8 or so inches. :eek:D::D

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000

When I cracked my rib last year, they wanted to start me on a morphine drip. I told the nurse I have never used drugs and wasn't about to start now .. I am 90% sure my wife was ready to smack me across the face at that point. :D

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
When I cracked my rib last year, they wanted to start me on a morphine drip. I told the nurse I have never used drugs and wasn't about to start now .. I am 90% sure my wife was ready to smack me across the face at that point. :D

I think it was a combination of everything at that point for me last night. Fatigue, pain, a migraine... all just rolled together. The morphine was pretty damn nice, just dulled everything out and I felt "normal" for a bit.

Honestly, I've decided not to fill my scripts for this. They wrote one for Lortab, and to be honest I feel fine. Just a little sore. Only reason I took advil earlier - again - was for the headache which was around mostly from the weird sleep schedule and probably from the cocktail of IV drugs they gave me while I was there. I only have any sort of localized sensitivity at my incisions if I push on them. No reason to take anything for that.

Last edited: