Not politics but news

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
I have often thought that this would be a great idea. My wife is epileptic and I bet I have at least 1500.00 worth of drugs less then a couple of months old that I will have to toss as her doctor has changed her prescriptions.

I am glad to see a few states have started programs like this. I hope it catches on in all 50 states.
Providing expensive drugs for free

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: daniel49
I have often thought that this would be a great idea. My wife is epileptic and I bet I have at last 1500.00 worth of drugs less then a couple of months old that I will have to toss as her doctor has changed her prescriptions.

I am glad to see a few states have started programs like this. I hope it catches on in all 50 states.
Providing expensive drugs for free

It is good news and is Political.

It's sad that the main issues have been sidelined by this years version of swiftboating.

Hope your wife does well no matter what.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Interesting. I will admit I know nothing about this, nor how its regulated. I would hope it would be strictly. At first blush, I think of myself and the meds I take. One of them isnt covered by insurance and costs $320/mo, but is somewhat subsidized from the manufacturer, so my cost is $260. Knowing what the its for and what its treating, I wouldnt get recycled. But again thats first blush. If it were to get similar to what the generic market is, I would consider it. Interesting idea though. I bet it wasnt the government's idea though ;)

And continued good care for the wife. :heart:

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Very good idea. Hpoe it is well excecuted. Otherwise it will be short lived.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I bet it wasnt the government's idea though

Obviously not from the current regime, bet on that. Recycled drugs cut into pharma profits, and we can't have that. Every prescription sold makes money, whether it's actually used or not.

I think it's important to employ some sort of tracking mechanism to be able to identify the drugs with the donor, after that, there shouldn't be any issues at all concerning tablets and sealed capsules... or any product still under factory seal.

Those who have pets can donate unused pet prescriptions to shelters, at least in my state. Many animal shelters run on razor thin margins, so any help at all is appreciated.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
My mother has epilepsy and MS and as meds change we donate to a program like this. We've also used the program a few times, there amazing.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
I bet it wasnt the government's idea though

Obviously not from the current regime, bet on that. Recycled drugs cut into pharma profits, and we can't have that. Every prescription sold makes money, whether it's actually used or not.

I think it's important to employ some sort of tracking mechanism to be able to identify the drugs with the donor, after that, there shouldn't be any issues at all concerning tablets and sealed capsules... or any product still under factory seal.

Those who have pets can donate unused pet prescriptions to shelters, at least in my state. Many animal shelters run on razor thin margins, so any help at all is appreciated.

well it wasn't political for a few posts anyway:D
yes tracking would be a must as there are always the nutcases who have to ruin a good thing.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Sounds like a great idea, IF there is decent quality control. At a minimum the returned drugs should pass through a pharmacist for checking.

One area a lot of people don't think of is nursing homes. The wasted drugs there, due to changed prescriptions and patients passing away, is enormous.