Not one Enron, Anderson, or other corporate criminal in jail yet.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
But the administration is gung-ho over nailing Martha Stewart.

Maybe because she's a Democrat and doesn't support Bush and company financially??

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
I agree. Martha Stewart's insider trading was worth 200k, these other clowns lost billions and cost people their savings. I love the double standard. Martha is a name and a successful woman that is why she is getting nailed like this. Fortuntately, rich people never get jailed so she'll just pay a fine and go home.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
They had a funny commentary on the Daily Show about this two days ago. Something along the lines of her making $45000 and facing 30 years in jail. While all the Enron chumps have walked without a single count against them.

I'd agree that something is stupid wrong in our judicial system if this is allowed to happen.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Enrongate is the biggest scandal in the last 100 years, but the administration was able to cover up all ties while bailing out the people responsible.

Oct 16, 1999
As much as I am against it ideally, I wouldn't be too broken up if someone gets ahold of the the Enron execs and those who have allowed them to walk and distibute a little vigilante justice to them.

Trezza

Sep 18, 2002
on the daily show they also said something to the effect of "nobody likes martha" and thats why she got caught. Also she had the balls to turn herself in.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Martha was not charged with any wrongdoing related to insider trading, get your facts straight guys. She was charged with Obstruction of Justice and other charges relating to her attempt to cover up a crime that did not even happen. If the inside trading charge was viable she would now be charged but she is not. Her huge mouth got her in the mess she is in now nothing else. Lying to the FBI or other fed authorities is not a good thing to do.

Bleep

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
1) The SEC and Justice department are looking for examples. Martha was in the news so much I bet they felt pressure to do something. I was at a speech by the head of an SEC enforecement office and they're looking for more examples to string up and DAs all over the country want more perp walks.

2) There has been a constant stream of arrests and charges for the companies that had huge scandals. Jail is not one of the sentencing options for many of the violations that were committed. Just the other day a bunch of Xerox execs got nailed and paid lots of fines. Tenet and Health South execs are being arrested. Worldcom as well. I'm fairly sure that some Enron guys have been arrested and charged as well, but I would have to check.

Michael

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I would recommend beheading for Worldcomm execs. I lost thousands on my MCI stock.
I haven't sold it yet because it is worthless and will hopefully recover.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I am glad to see so many people seeing the lopsidedness going on with this Martha deal. I do not know any details of what she supposedly did nor do I care however I do know she is not responsible for thousands of people losing their life savings and driving Energy prices up and losing Billions of dollars. It is no doubt Selective Prosecution and cannot be tolerated or it is a Witch Hunt.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I am glad to see so many people seeing the lopsidedness going on with this Martha deal. I do not know any details of what she supposedly did nor do I care however I do know she is not responsible for thousands of people losing their life savings and driving Energy prices up and losing Billions of dollars. It is no doubt Selective Prosecution and cannot be tolerated or it is a Witch Hunt.

Well everyone accussed is entitled to a fair and speedy trial. As far as I can tell, the fed does not what speedy is as there are lots of accused execs waiting for a trial.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: konichiwa
Originally posted by: burnedout
On one hand, people on this board complain about too much govt. intervention (i.e. Patriot Act - OMFG!!-Big-Bad-Ashcroft-is-coming-to-get-me) while at the same time complaining about too little.

To wit:

Ex-Enron CFO Fastow pleads innocent to 78 count Enron indictment

U.S. versus Arthur Andersen LLP

Jailed? No. Indicted? Yes.

Next question, please

Not too little, too biased. Pretty big difference.
A 78 count indictment is biased? Ok, I see.....

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: konichiwa
On one hand, people on this board complain about too much govt. intervention (i.e. Patriot Act - OMFG!!-Big-Bad-Ashcroft-is-coming-to-get-me) while at the same time complaining about too little.

To wit:

Ex-Enron CFO Fastow pleads innocent to 78 count Enron indictment

U.S. versus Arthur Andersen LLP

Jailed? No. Indicted? Yes.

Next question, please

Not too little, too biased. Pretty big difference.
A 78 count indictment is biased? Ok, I see.....

No, the fact is that Cheney/Bush were buddy-buddy with Ken Lay and the gang, and for SOME reason, they (the million dollar thieves) aren't the ones being made examples of, Martha Stewart (the some hundred thousand dollar thief) is.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
The SEC and Justice department are looking for examples. Martha was in the news so much I bet they felt pressure to do something.
Not really. Martha was an easy case to prove, or at least they say they can, prove obstruction of justice with the testimony of this snitch who was probably give a nice deal in exchange for his testimony.

What are you going to charge Ken Lay and the gang with, incompetence? Incompetence is not a crime. Losing people's money on risky business models? Again, that is not a crime, the risk is borne by the investor.

Fraud or embezzlement are high burdens to prove. It would be irresponsible of the Justice Department or the SEC or any other agency to hastily indict without a reasonably solid case. If a jury acquits because you didn't prove your case, they go free immune to future prosecution. What end would that serve?

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There were huge fines for former Xerox executives. The legal system takes time, they'll get to Enron.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
She was charged with Obstruction of Justice and other charges relating to her attempt to cover up a crime that did not even happen.

Yet interestingly one of the counts against for lying is her simply saying "I'm innocent".

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Not one Enron, Anderson, or other corporate criminal in jail yet.
Arthur Andersen was convicted of obstruction of justice.

U.S. federal prosecutors have indicted Andrew Fastow, former Enron chief financial officer. The charges included 78 counts of securities, wire and mail fraud, money laundering and conspiracy.

Timothy Belden, the top Enron energy trader, pleaded guilty to federal fraud charges.

Former Enron executive Michael Kopper plead guilty to charges of money laundering and fraud.

Not to mention more than a dozen executives from Worldcom, Tyco, Aurthur Andersen, Adelphia and other firms, including a couple brokerage firms and banks, have either been fired and are under investigation, or indicted on, convicted of, or plead guilty to, various federal charges.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002