Not O/Cing, but looking for nice cooling for 1.4Ghz AMD. What HSF to buy?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Apparently, my 2 friends are too lazy to do anything about their thirst for Quake, & expect me to provide for them as I have in the past.
I'm FINALLY helping my friends replace the 2 ancient AMD systems that I bought them in the first place (BOTH K6-2's :p).
They would be moving from a 350 K6-2 & 475 K6-2 if they wern't already borrowing my PIII & Celeron systems (For the last few months)

At least I'm not paying this time (Well, I helped a little bit), but I am the one doing everything for them.
They're going to both be running Athlon 1.4Ghz systems on SiS735 based ECS boards, & they've already ordered everything (Shipped to my door with my card), but sure enough they forgot the HSFs. These guys are so ignorant I GUARANTEE YOU they will try to boot no matter how much I warn them unless I hurry up & get them a *GOOD* HSF.
Even though I wont be overclocking, I have some ASII & I'm looking for a good sink to pair it up with.
Remember, these are hot 1.4 Athy's, so they can't be too bad just because I'm not overclocking!

Thnx ppl...

Smbu

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2000
Maybe they should have gotten the retail AMD 1.4ghz hsf. I've read that the Thermaltake Volcano 5 and Volcano 6cu aren't that loud, but that's because they only have 4500rpm fans on. I ordered a Volcano 5 with the 1.4ghz Tbird cpu and ECS K7S5A that I bought. I haven't gotten them yet, but since I won't be oc'ing it should be fine. I also have a 7krpm Delta fan lying around in case I want some extra cooling power.:)

Newbie77

Jul 7, 2001
Since your friends are not planning to overclock, you should go for a quiet heatsink fan that provides adequate cooling. From what I gather, Taisol heatsinks fit the bill.

Bovinicus

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
I would say go to AMD's website, find what the quietest heatsink/fan combination is that they recommend.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
On balance, the Taisols already recommended are tough to beat. Not loud at all with the stock fan, and big and beefy enough to scale up well for overclocking when fitted with higher output fans.

skriefal

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
The Taisol heatsinks do work well, although I think the comments about them not being loud are "in the eyes (ears?) of the beholder". I certainly don't consider my Taisol CGK742092 to be quiet. It's noise level is rated at 36db and is certainly quieter than the screaming 7000rpm 60mm Delta fan, but it's still rather loud IMHO.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I believe Skriefal has a legitimate point, maybe our differences are purely semantic. While the taisols aren't quiet, they're not loud, either, particularly in comparison to many of the other HSF combos available that will also do a good job on a 1.4 Tbird. Their heat output is quite large, about 70-75 watts. If you want near silent, then you have to spend a fortune or back down the performance scale to something like an Intel 1gig or less, or go to water cooling. Some of those aren't exactly quiet, either....

Seem reasonable?

Biochem101

Feb 27, 2001
Global Win CAK38

a bit loud, but worth the cooling, any 1.4 Tbird will run hot ....just a fact.

my athlon 1.4 is at 44'C under full load.. used to be 38C but i had to change my comp room to up stairs.