Not going to be a Merry X-mas for over 100,000 U.S. Office workers

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Not going to be a Merry X-mas for over 100,000 Office workers;

At least 3 Big U.S. Companies will be announcing the layoffs of nearly all Office workers. Basically any job that can be done with a person if front of a Computer are being shipped over to India.

I will post the Official Press releases as they come out in the Depression and India threads.

nowareman

Banned
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

At least 3 Big U.S. Companies will be announcing the layoffs of nearly all Office workers. Basically any job that can be done with a person if front of a Computer are being shipped over to India.

I will post the Official Press releases as they come out in the Depression and India threads.

The last thing this we need is more job losses. Merck Pharmaceutical today announced an as yet unspecified number of employees will be laid off due to poor earnings. Are they one of the companies you refer to?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: nowareman

The last thing this we need is more job losses. Merck Pharmaceutical today announced an as yet unspecified number of employees will be laid off due to poor earnings. Are they one of the companies you refer to?

No 4,400 jobs is a crumb compared to the 25,000 amd 50,000 people lay offs these Companies will be doing.

10-22-2003 Merck to Cut 4,400 Jobs and Outlook

The job cuts, rare in the pharmaceutical industry, come as economic analysts are examining whether employers will hire more workers as part of an economic recovery that has so far lacked significant job growth.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Whether it's justified or not Americans attitude towards India is really going to become extremely negative because of all this outsourcing.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Whether it's justified or not Americans attitude towards India is really going to become extremely negative because of all this outsourcing.

Let's not put the blame in the wrong place. It is not the citizens of India's fault or even their Govt. This is 100% about the choice of the execs and rich fat boys here on U.S. 100% responsible.

I worked side by side with many Engineers that were here from India and became friends with many of them. One in particular lost his Card or whatever that stuff is when the Company he worked for here went out of business because it sent the jobs 100% over to India where my friend and his family came from. He hated to have to move back there 3 years ago but now he is estactic and had no idea he would be better off.

It's looking like that is the place to move to. I'm sure many here would love if I left and moved there.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Let's not put the blame in the wrong place. It is not the citizens of India's fault or even their Govt. This is 100% about the choice of the execs and rich fat boys here on U.S. 100% responsible.

I worked side by side with many Engineers that were here from India and became friends with many of them. One in particular lost his Card or whatever that stuff is when the Company he worked for here went out of business because it sent the jobs 100% over to India where my friend and his family came from. He hated to have to move back there 3 years ago but now he is estactic and had no idea he would be better off.

It's looking like that is the place to move to. I'm sure many here would love if I left and moved there.
Yeah but that still won't stop a negative backlash towards India and it's citizens. I remember back in the 70's when there was a huge backlash against the Japanese because they were kick our Automotive Industries ass (due to superior products)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

BS dave. The execs have to compete, they are responsible to turn profit for it's owners (the shareholder). If they don't do it someone else will which will devalue thier stock and may even put them out of business. The only way to keep them here is governement. 100% tarriffs for goods coming in 100% on capital going out would do it;) We'ed have negitive employment.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Automotive Industries ass (due to superior products)

LOL red the japanese cars in the 70's were pure garbage. it was price and fuel economy (rememebr you could pick up a muscle car for $200).... it was'nt until about 82' quality started to show ...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo
Automotive Industries ass (due to superior products)

LOL red the japanese cars in the 70's were pure garbage. it was price and fuel economy (rememebr you could pick up a muscle car for $200).... it was'nt until about 82' quality started to show ...
OK it was the 80's;)

nowareman

Banned
Jun 4, 2003

BS dave. The execs have to compete, they are responsible to turn profit for it's owners (the shareholder). If they don't do it someone else will which will devalue thier stock and may even put them out of business. The only way to keep them here is governement. 100% tarriffs for goods coming in 100% on capital going out would do it;) We'ed have negitive employment.

The US business model is short sighted. Quarterly profits are the basis for decisions.

The Japanese business model as an example looks ahead 5 years. They consider the effects decisions will have on their nation as a whole not just who will be able to get an extra million or two bonus based on this quarter's profits.

And lest we forget the man who taught the Japanese how to improve efficiency and quality was an American who was ignored here in the USA.

DR. DEMING: THE AMERICAN WHO TAUGHT THE JAPANESE ABOUT QUALITY

nowareman

Banned
Jun 4, 2003

No 4,400 jobs is a crumb compared to the 25,000 amd 50,000 people lay offs these Companies will be doing.

The job cuts, rare in the pharmaceutical industry, come as economic analysts are examining whether employers will hire more workers as part of an economic recovery that has so far lacked significant job growth.

dmcowen674, I realize there are companies who are laying off many times more workers than Merck. Even so Merck is among the top 10 employers in their home state of NJ. With Verizon laying off many workers, AT&T cutting their workers as well as Ford and GM closing their plants there to name just a few the region as a whole has taken some devastating hits.

The loss of 25,000 to 50,000 jobs is simply unbelievable but the cumulative effect of job losses numbering in the thousands is equally devastating.

We also have to remember to the worker who is losing their job with little hope of finding anything remotely comparable even one more job lost is too many.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: nowareman

dmcowen674, I realize there are companies who are laying off many times more workers than Merck. Even so Merck is among the top 10 employers in their home state of NJ. With Verizon laying off many workers, AT&T cutting their workers as well as Ford and GM closing their plants there to name just a few the region as a whole has taken some devastating hits.

The loss of 25,000 to 50,000 jobs is simply unbelievable but the cumulative effect of job losses numbering in the thousands is equally devastating.

We also have to remember to the worker who is losing their job with little hope of finding anything remotely comparable even one more job lost is too many.

That's why we are fast approaching 4 million (Official Govt numbers) out of work which I believe is a BS number and is way higher.

That's why I was one of first in the Country to say the Depression word and started a post on it and recently News reports using it.

Still have those out there saying it's all in our imagination and things are fine.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Yes, those Execs can compete, as the Foreign Companies they have become, they must give up their U.S. designation and Compete with REAL American Companies.

nowareman

Banned
Jun 4, 2003
I read recently about some of the companies, Nike among them if I remember correctly, who move offshore or send their production offshore and are now trying to get hundreds of millions back into the US after not paying taxes on any of the money they earned by such tactics. It just doensn't add up. They only want to be Americans when it benefits them. And real Americans are suffering for it.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
odd how nike can pay up hundreds of millions to jordan and kobe, they spend far more money on marketing per pair than it costs to manufacture, u'd think they could cut marketing costs to increase profits instead of paying children than 2 cents an hour

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
odd how nike can pay up hundreds of millions to jordan and kobe, they spend far more money on marketing per pair than it costs to manufacture, u'd think they could cut marketing costs to increase profits instead of paying children than 2 cents an hour

the New Lebron James shows hitting the shelves next week retail for $175

All made by 3rd world labor.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002

Yes, those Execs can compete, as the Foreign Companies they have become, they must give up their U.S. designation and Compete with REAL American Companies.

Dave, remember that CNBC special report I was talking about in your other thread? Well, turns out it is an entire week of reporting on India. Today's report is going to be about Indian companies and how some American companies are already beginning to look over their shoulders to see these Indian companies catching up. If a foreign company, born and bred in a foreign land can do that to American companies, imagine what an American company soaked in American business practices can do to it's former compatriot companies if it started operating almost entirely out of India. The parallel can be stretched further, but I won't attempt it here, seeing as Red Dawn is already predicting a lynch mob gathering in the distance :D

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
What do you expect? We tax the hell out of our corporations, what do you expect them to do???