Not enough GPU Utilization, what gives?

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
My system specs -
  • i7 8700
  • GTX 1080 Ti (MSI Gaming X Trio)
  • 2 x 16 GB Cas 15 3200 MHZ Ram (Crucial Ram)
  • Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB
I usually play some older games, and i was wondering why am i not getting HIGH FPS. I mean its really not bothering me or anything cause am happy as long as i can play my games regardless of FPS or settings i play them, but i am really curious to know why.

Using MSI After burner i have noticed that my GPU is not getting utilized properly (only about 20 ~30 % of it is getting utilized)

As you can see Here, at least i know that in skyrim i have capped the frames and the GPU is getting utilized more, but see the other game its only around 30% usage.

This happens in all the games. GPU utilization usually hovers at around 30% ~ 50% most of the times in Older games.

its not a problem like i said, i just want to know why. Oh between i play @ 2k 144hz GSync.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Afterburner shows that the games only use 15% and ~25% of your CPU,older games can only use 2 or 3 threads so that's why you don't get more FPS,also those games where made for (much) older (much) weaker GPUs which is why you get low utilization on your 1080ti.

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
Afterburner shows that the games only use 15% and ~25% of your CPU,older games can only use 2 or 3 threads so that's why you don't get more FPS,also those games where made for (much) older (much) weaker GPUs which is why you get low utilization on your 1080ti.

Well, i though of that but then that does not seems to be the problem, as you can see HERE not even a single core is getting utilized 100% which feels weird.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Well, i though of that but then that does not seems to be the problem, as you can see HERE not even a single core is getting utilized 100% which feels weird.
It's just the nature of certain games. For some 90's titles I'm getting +1400fps on a G4560 + using only 30% of a 1050Ti. If they're lightweight enough, the GPU doesn't even clock up over the idle 135MHz. For other games using 1x single core, you'll be 100% CPU bottlenecked no matter how many CPU / GPU cores you throw at it.

I wouldn't call 120-160fps "low fps" though. That game in your screenshots may seem as if it should be +200-320fps if your 50% CPU usage were nearer +100% with theoretically perfect scaling given much more powerful hardware, but there are some games that simply have internal engine limitations / bottlenecks where the game will appear to max out whilst both CPU & GPU usage remain well below 50% on any core. It could simply be one of those games. If the game is rendering some effects on the CPU (rather than GPU), you could always try disabling motion blur, etc, and see if that improves FPS?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Afterburner, and task manager for that matter, show you the usage of all cores of your CPU by all threads running at that moment and over a period of time.
(If you don't use affinity to lock threads onto one core they get juggled around all available cores as a kind of wear leveling)
Use process explorer (sysinternals is a part of microsoft) or process hacker which is free on github to look at your game threads in real time.
See in the pic?The game runs one thread at 47.81% while task manager shows ~60% usage on both cores with neither one hitting 100% usage.
6uO0lZM.jpg

Reactions: DeadlyTitan