Not enough Black people at the Oscars, time for Affirmative action?

Should Affirmative action be implemented at the Oscars?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
That whole debacle with race being important in an award show is stupid. We should give awards based on how well they act, not their race, that would be true racism.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Looks like there is a lack of African Americans at the oscars, I wonder if its time for Affirmative action at the Oscars?

Like require the oscars to have a certain % of winners be African Americans. Similar to what goes in in College and Government contracting.
I agree!! Where is Bill Cosby when you need him most??

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Looks like there is a lack of African Americans at the oscars, I wonder if its time for Affirmative action at the Oscars?

Like require the oscars to have a certain % of winners be African Americans. Similar to what goes in in College and Government contracting.
actually you are spouting your usual nonsense!! When people are worthy regardless of race they are recognized!!

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
That whole debacle with race being important in an award show is stupid. We should give awards based on how well they act, not their race, that would be true racism.

Came in to post this, its already been posted.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences count about 6,100 as members, but the organization doesn’t disclose the ethnic breakdown of members publicly. A 2012 LA Times report found 94% of members were white, and 77% were male.

How to become a member; http://www.oscars.org/about/join-academy

So, why don't these groups that are crying foul 1st tap the existing black members to push for more black members,.. they themselves can sponsor them!

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Nice troll. Perhaps it's time for enterprise zones in the ghetto for any movie studio willing to locate there? Why stop there, what about the lack of asians in cinema?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/lack-diversity-takes-center-stage-years-oscars

No. That's idiotic. If someone is good enough to get an Oscar than they should. If not, then they shouldn't. It's very simple really. Where would it end, having a certain percentage of gay's, women, or other ethnic groups. Other minorities don't cry about shit like this. Just blacks cry about it.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
if there is affirmative action at an awards show, that kinda makes the award a joke right?

if you aren't good enough to be nominated then you aren't good enough it doesn't matter if you are black or white or yellow or red.

if you suck then you suck.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
You could argue the oscars are still white-centric. Sort of like how it is difficult for a white person to break out in the hip-hop scene as a respectable artist. That is why a lot of black artists don't view the Oscars as the award needed to justify their credibility as an artist.

Just look at the list of leading role nominees and winners, many of those roles could never be played by black men.

It's not that Daniel Day Lewis and the director were racist for Lincoln...it's just that the system may favor a movie more like that then they would a movie about Selma.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You guys all realize that the media and many of these televised events are used as a tool to perpetuate racism, division and what not. Playing the race card is profitable, to those in the industry of making race the issue. In real life, I spend many hours working with, having conversations with, joking with, and having friendships with almost every race on the continent. This shit doesn't get discussed among us. Not an issue.
Quit talking about race. It doesn't matter what color your skin is. All I care about is what kind of person you are, not the color of the covering over your soul.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
You guys all realize that the media and many of these televised events are used as a tool to perpetuate racism, division and what not. Playing the race card is profitable, to those in the industry of making race the issue. In real life, I spend many hours working with, having conversations with, joking with, and having friendships with almost every race on the continent. This shit doesn't get discussed among us. Not an issue.
Quit talking about race. It doesn't matter what color your skin is. All I care about is what kind of person you are, not the color of the covering over your soul.

Sorry, but talk about racism will never go away. Race-baiting is profitable, son. Look how rich Al Sharpton is. He owes more in taxes than the vast majority of people in the US will make in their entire lives. And just because you have a black friend doesn't absolve you from white privilege in the eyes of liberals. Because you won't discuss it, and grovel with guilt, that makes you a racist pig. Deal with it.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Do you believe the same regarding awarding of governmental contracts?