Not buying a phone that costs more than my creamation

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I have an iPhone 6S Plus, the battery is wearing down & I would love a new phone. Love the new XMax...but after taxes & all that phone costs close to what my creamation will! It is also darn near the cost of a refurbished MacBook Pro & more than a 10.5 inch iPad Pro.

Kind of stuck trying to figure out what to do. Thinking of waiting for the XR verision which I want in red but even that is still expensive. Maybe just replace the battery on my 6S Plus & use it another year & go for a newer iPad to replace my Air 2 ?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
At this rate I'd replace your battery. I'm not an apple user so I'll admit I'm biased, but the new iphones and price increases are highway robbery IMO.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Battery replacements are $30 now at the Apple store -- my 6S minus battery lasts about an hour at this point, just need to find the time to go into a store and have them replace it.

The one feature I want is the wireless charging, which no one else seems to care about :p Just seems cool to plop the phone on a pad overnight. Waterproof would be nice too, but then again the phone has lasted this long. And it's been totally soaked with antifreeze last time I used it as a flashlight under my car.

Reactions: Geekbabe

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I have an iPhone 6S Plus, the battery is wearing down & I would love a new phone. Love the new XMax...but after taxes & all that phone costs close to what my creamation will! It is also darn near the cost of a refurbished MacBook Pro & more than a 10.5 inch iPad Pro.

Kind of stuck trying to figure out what to do. Thinking of waiting for the XR verision which I want in red but even that is still expensive. Maybe just replace the battery on my 6S Plus & use it another year & go for a newer iPad to replace my Air 2 ?

I'd say hold out for that iPhone Xr in red. It'l come close enough to the Max and still represent a big leap over your 6s in... well, just about everything. And besides, I like that Apple is encouraging a bit of self-expression, even if that phone will probably end up in a case.

(This is coming from a guy who ordered an iPhone Xs!)

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I'd say hold out for that iPhone Xr in red. It'l come close enough to the Max and still represent a big leap over your 6s in... well, just about everything. And besides, I like that Apple is encouraging a bit of self-expression, even if that phone will probably end up in a case.

(This is coming from a guy who ordered an iPhone Xs!)
I put all my iPhones in clear cases, that red will be screaming :)

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Battery replacements are $30 now at the Apple store -- my 6S minus battery lasts about an hour at this point, just need to find the time to go into a store and have them replace it.

The one feature I want is the wireless charging, which no one else seems to care about :p Just seems cool to plop the phone on a pad overnight. Waterproof would be nice too, but then again the phone has lasted this long. And it's been totally soaked with antifreeze last time I used it as a flashlight under my car.
I will probably replace the battery & pass the phone down, not sure to who though as my husband and son are android users

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I feel weird recommending the XR. It is a beautifully constructed device, but that low res LCD display for a phone at that price.... OLED is so nice to use, especially at night!

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I feel weird recommending the XR. It is a beautifully constructed device, but that low res LCD display for a phone at that price.... OLED is so nice to use, especially at night!
I am tempted also by the Xs smaller screen than the other two but not really smaller than what I am used to. I checked my phone & tablet, 64GB is a great storage amount for me.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
you cant hold onto your old iphones forever as newer OS updates will just slow it down further. i had apple products before. even worse, if you dont update, you cant install apps. which is absolutely ridiculous. on android, my samsung s5 can install any apps that my s7 right now can.

apple is testing its customers' loyalty. and it's very interesting to see.

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
you cant hold onto your old iphones forever as newer OS updates will just slow it down further. i had apple products before. even worse, if you dont update, you cant install apps. which is absolutely ridiculous. on android, my samsung s5 can install any apps that my s7 right now can.

apple is testing its customers' loyalty. and it's very interesting to see.
Problem is,I am firmly entrenched in the Apple ecosystem. iPhone,iPads MacBook Pro.

I either keep my old phone another year or consider the cheapest new iPhone.

I tend to use my phone for texting, Twitter & select apps, my Mac & iPad do the heavy lifting. It doesn’t make sense to spend as much on a phone as I would for a new,refurbished MacBook Pro

Mar 11, 2004
What about an iPhone X? Might be able to find a deal on a new one with warranty even. Maybe someone on here might be looking to upgrade and might offer you a nice deal too? Prices on Swappa look like they'd be about inline with the new XR (I assume the XR would have the newer processor, probably similar cameras - didn't notice if they upgraded them any on the new ones, and then the X having the OLED display; so would depend on what you value more and with a warranty the XR might be the better choice).

Oh and for sure I'd pay to get the battery replaced on your 6S while its still cheap through Apple.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I wonder if thats anything like cremation.....
I also wonder why it was necessary to bring that up in a tech forum.....

Anyway, you can get cheap phones all over the place. Just dig around.
Or dont dig, since obviously thats not your thing.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Buying a phone is a waste anymore. I don't personally know anyone who does it. Leasing is the way to go(or the iphone upgrade program from Apple). Never get stuck with a device that doesn't work or is too old. Upgrade when you feel like. This is why they can charge so much. Almost nobody is actually paying full price for them and carriers like Verizon are buying the devices already before customers get them.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It's kinda backward though.

Why would I want to spend the big bucks on my cremation instead of something I use all day, every day?

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Are you no longer getting the fancy swag like you did in yesteryear?

People seldom got iPhones...ever. Those sell themselves, influencers push the androids. Any no, since I got sick I haven’t done much in social media. Just doing the day job takes most of my energy.