Discussion Not Black!! Ryzen Build Worklog

catkicker

Nov 19, 2005
So I’ve been looking around for a cool case for a Ryzen build. Sick of black cases and not that enthused with white.
Found a Corsair Carbide Series 540 case. The 5.25 bays slots give it a dated look so I'm going to install a Matrix Orbital 7 inch 1024x600 IPS TFT Display in that space to give it a more modern look.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 core
AMD Radeon 6750XT
Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Seagate 3TB HDD SATA 6Gb/s 7200 64MB Cache
EVGA 1000 P2
Corsair 120mm & 140mm RGB fans
CPU cooling AURAFLOW X 360
GPU Cooling Kraken X53 with G12
03.jpeg04.jpeg

01.JPG02.jpeg05.jpegHTT70G_Front-600x600.png

Last edited:

aigomorla

Cases and Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
2 cents...

we only used a matrix orbital because that was the only solution at our time.
If we had all the stuff we had today and now, i would probably do a "snowblind" mod on the large side window panel.

Here is an example of what a snowblind mod is.

Ultimately this is sort of what i wanted to do.

Fairly easy to do with a USB LCD monitor. Infact the matrix was sort of EOL'd because of the USB monitor which can be intigrated internally using a Type C / ThunderBolt 3 card and a internal USB header to run internally or wirelessly (wireless HDMI) .

But dude... SNOWBLIND! its the Hottest Visual mod of this age greater then RGB even.

NOTE:
If you decide to make this a WORK in Progress Thread, i will remove this post to make your thread cleaner.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
That's going to look nice, and hopefully -- work nicely. I wish I had the time to build and maintain a beautiful rig like what the OP contemplates.

catkicker

Nov 19, 2005
2 cents...

we only used a matrix orbital because that was the only solution at our time.
If we had all the stuff we had today and now, i would probably do a "snowblind" mod on the large side window panel.

Here is an example of what a snowblind mod is.

Ultimately this is sort of what i wanted to do.

Fairly easy to do with a USB LCD monitor. Infact the matrix was sort of EOL'd because of the USB monitor which can be intigrated internally using a Type C / ThunderBolt 3 card and a internal USB header to run internally or wirelessly (wireless HDMI) .

But dude... SNOWBLIND! its the Hottest Visual mod of this age greater then RGB even.

NOTE:
If you decide to make this a WORK in Progress Thread, i will remove this post to make your thread cleaner.
looked at the snowblind mod. Absolute Awesomeness!
And I’m thinking about a future build with this.
Reason I want to get the 7” display installed is to eliminate the old 5.25 by slots and give the older Corsair case a more modern look.
Once I start the actual build I will post in the proper section.

Last edited:

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
looked at the snowblind mod. Absolute Awesomeness!
And I’m thinking about a future build with this.
Reason I want to get the 7” display installed is to eliminate the old 5.25 by slots and give the older Corsair case a more modern look.
Once I start the actual build I will post in the proper section.
View attachment 62297
It's a fun hobby. Looking forward to your future write up!

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
fun fact, i realized most of LAS VEGAS slot machines utilizes snowblinds in the display .. lol... with another LCD behind to mimic a 3d type stereoscopic effect.

catkicker

Nov 19, 2005
Worked on cutting the floor out so I can install new floor with mounting for the 240mm radiator also fitted the 360mm radiator in the front of the case I was able to mount fans on the front bezel side and the 360mm radiator inside caseIMG_4946.JPG
image2.jpeg07a.jpeg

Last edited:

catkicker

Nov 19, 2005
So spent the day with paint vapors:smirk:
Was pretty easy to strip the case down to the basic chasis gloss black paint showed it;s wear so I gave it a couple of coats of satin black. Sprayed the radiators and
Kraken G12 silver pretty close match to case.
16.jpeg

14.jpeg15.jpeg17.jpeg18.jpeg

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Please tell me you used a thermal conductive paint for the radiator fins....

catkicker

Nov 19, 2005
The paint coverage on the fins is pretty much overspray from painting the
frame/housing of the rad.
Not overly concerned with the
thermal dynamics of the radiator.
(Did I word that properly?)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I kind of miss the days of doing case mods and such. I loved taking a stock case and tweaking it. But these days machines are just way to expensive to build for the fun of it. WAY back in the day I almost did a build with one of these. I was going to paint the ribs on the vent area the same color as the base, but leaving the black between them.

Looks like it should turn out pretty nice!

Reactions: bigboxes

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Mah... i can't recall a single case i had before i got my mountain mods which didn't require me to cut it up with a dremel.
Even a CM Stacker 805 i had to cut open with a dremel.

I really really hated painting the case tho.
Even one wrong wind blowing dust/debris , and it was GG... had to sand the area, and do it all over again, and something freshly spray painted is not something you wanted to keep indoors.

ASK THE COMMUNITY