Not all Religious people are nuts

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Church obsessed by Gays Rev Tutu

You'd think by listening to some that Homosexuality and Gay Marriage were some of the biggest issues of our times. Rev Tutu lays the smackdown on these "issues" and tells it like it is. It is a sad state of affairs when Religion gets side tracked on nonsense and expends all its' energy on issues that matter very little.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Good point.

I've never really understood why it's such a big deal. Whatever, bigots will be bigots.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
I wonder what Lynn Westmoreland would think of this....

*shudders*

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
lul, the volume on that video goes to eleven.

One of the problems with the concept of sin is that it decouples morality from real, tangible human suffering.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark

One of the problems with the concept of sin is that it decouples morality from real, tangible human suffering.

I think the Sin mentioned in the Bible(specifically Old Testament) probably made a lot more Practical sense in those times. Human Populations were very small and any Nation/Empire in those times needed as much people as they could get. They didn't have the luxury of relying on Individual Choice(not that "choice" has anything to do with Homosexuality) to populate. Everyone needed to contribute for survival and part of that was procreation.

Fast forward thousands of years and the planet has near maximum capacity of Human Population and it no longer makes sense to force people to go against their Nature in order to keep Procreating. Some still try to hold onto the Old ways though. They just have traded the Practical for the Mystical as their guiding principle.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

She/They are the extreme. That said, the idea that inspires Them is actually quite Mainstream amongst Evangelicals. It is merely the method in which they express Their ideas that is rejected.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski

She/They are the extreme. That said, the idea that inspires Them is actually quite Mainstream amongst Evangelicals. It is merely the method in which they express Their ideas that is rejected.

Lynn is a he..... I think....;)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Ya, sure, that's what She wants you to think! :p:D

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Say, Boy, you're one uppity default avatar.

Jun 26, 2007
Church obsessed by Gays Rev Tutu

You'd think by listening to some that Homosexuality and Gay Marriage were some of the biggest issues of our times. Rev Tutu lays the smackdown on these "issues" and tells it like it is. It is a sad state of affairs when Religion gets side tracked on nonsense and expends all its' energy on issues that matter very little.

So who does he hate? Religion is based on "us vs them" and if you don't have that your religion falls apart.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Perknose

Send me a $150 Processing Fee and I'll send your Free iPod with Free Shipping!

limited time offer where Laws allow

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Perknose

Send me a $150 Processing Fee and I'll send your Free iPod with Free Shipping!

limited time offer where Laws allow

I'll give you a unicycle and a clown nose, goes perfectly with your OP.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Since we learned this year that a candidate's pastor's statements about America are crucial to our decision whether to elect them.

On July 20, 2008, the pastor of Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin?s home church, Larry Kroon, delivered a sermon called ?Sin Is Personal To God.? Kroon, the senior pastor of the non-denominational Wasilla Bible Church in Wasilla, Alaska, used the book of Zephanaiah as his reference point for discussing ?that great day of the Lord when God will finally bring closure to human history? a day of wrath.? According to Kroon, ?all things and all people? are going to bear the brunt of God?s ?intense anger.? ?There?s anger with God,? he proclaimed. ?He takes sin personal.?
Kroon placed Zephaniah in a modern context, warning that the sinful habits of Americans would invite the wrath of God. ?And if Zephaniah were here today,? Kroon bellowed, ?he?d be saying, ?Listen, [God] is gonna deal with all the inhabitants of the earth. He is gonna strike out His hand against, yes, Wasilla; and Alaska; and the United States of America. There?s no exceptions here ? there?s none. It?s all.??

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you're Good, Santa will leave lots of Presents. Leave some Milk/Cookies as a Bribe!

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by: BMW540I6speed
Since we learned this year that a candidate's pastor's statements about America are crucial to our decision whether to elect them.

You should have taken the extra 5 minutes to read the linked sermon. The article you link to, took it completely out of context.
Vastly different than, "not god bless America, GOD DAMN America. "
If you can't see the difference, then you really are a slave to your party

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Is suffering the only immorality? You can commit immoral actions without inflicting suffering.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Is suffering the only immorality? You can commit immoral actions without inflicting suffering.

Can you?

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Druidx

You should have taken the extra 5 minutes to read the linked sermon. The article you link to, took it completely out of context.

And if you cant see that the rev wright was just expressing anger at the unequal treatment of blacks over the years, and make a big deal out of that quote, then you are a slave to yours... Talk about taking things out of context... you dont even comprehend rev wrights context. I personally think rev Wright is an idiot, but at least I can understand the anger, and the context in which he spoke.

Religion hsa absolutely no place in US government. We are all free to worship (or not worship) whatever we want from Jesus to Quezelquatl - it needs to stay the hell out of govt.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Druidx

Yeah, I know one mans pastor is another mans freedom fighter. This pators views are not not negetive because, well..this is Sara Palins pastor, of course. More "victimhood".

I am slave to no party. I am registered independent, been so since 2004. I have been registered Republican for 20 years prior. Even voted for Bush in 2000. I am voting for Obama\Biden because I believe they are the stronger ticket, plain & simple. The Republican party has lost their way. IMO they need to loose and rethink their future. The religous right should be purged from the party. Let them start their own party. Let the Republican party get back to their true value's & freedoms.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Abortion and homosexuality are tools to rivet peoples' attention. If "religious" leaders REALLY cared about their flock rather than about obtaining political power and control, they would be talking about things far more prevalent, such as the near 50% divorce rate and how it ruins families and hurts children and society, and about the 40-60% of married people who cheat on their spouse. A sin is a sin is a sin. Talking about cheating doesn't get you votes. Talking about abortion and gays does.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You will always find the Republican's supporting bigots. There are only a limited number of folk who will vote for crap that only benefits the rich. You have to get your fools where you can and bigots are some of our best fools.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

On July 20, 2008, the pastor of Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin?s home church, Larry Kroon, delivered a sermon called ?Sin Is Personal To God.? Kroon, the senior pastor of the non-denominational Wasilla Bible Church in Wasilla, Alaska, used the book of Zephanaiah as his reference point for discussing ?that great day of the Lord when God will finally bring closure to human history? a day of wrath.? According to Kroon, ?all things and all people? are going to bear the brunt of God?s ?intense anger.? ?There?s anger with God,? he proclaimed. ?He takes sin personal.?
Kroon placed Zephaniah in a modern context, warning that the sinful habits of Americans would invite the wrath of God. ?And if Zephaniah were here today,? Kroon bellowed, ?he?d be saying, ?Listen, [God] is gonna deal with all the inhabitants of the earth. He is gonna strike out His hand against, yes, Wasilla; and Alaska; and the United States of America. There?s no exceptions here ? there?s none. It?s all.??

I read this but I guess I missed the part about him saying "God Damn America" or that the USA infected black people with the aids virus.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
You will always find the Republican's supporting bigots. There are only a limited number of folk who will vote for crap that only benefits the rich. You have to get your fools where you can and bigots are some of our best fools.

No, you will often find Republicans supporting bigots where it's politicall advantageous. Where it's not, they'll happily preach the evil of bigotry.

This is how they have their cake and eat it too - totally endorse equal rights for blacks on the surface, while making it clear to the bigots that their actual policies basically agree.

The days of 'seperate but equal' are over by popular demand and democratic leadership (not in that order), but lesser agendas are still quite viable, especially opposing any help or reform of things like injustices in the justice system. Tokenism good, substantive policy bad. They must be very proud the best candidate for the Supreme Court then, Clarence Thomas, happened to be black.

Oct 30, 2004

I think that the true believers are nuts. That isn't the same as saying that anyone who calls themselves Christian or Jewish is nuts. There are lots of people who are essentially atheists and agnostics who say that they are Christian or Jewish but who never attend church or synagogue and whose "professed" religion has almost zero impact on their lives. (If you're not following your religion then you don't really believe in it, now do you?)