Norwegian Author's Message to Canada: You're pretty fat. Maybe lose some weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/0...ard-goes-to-newfoundland-calls-everybody-fat/

Norwegian author undertakes North American road trip to connect with historical sights of significance to Norway for book. Newfoundland to Minnesota. Finds the following:

1. Newfoundlanders are too fat.

“Everyone in the place, except the waiter, was fat, some of them so fat that I kept having to look at them. I had never seen people that fat before,” ... “The strange thing was that none of them looked as if they were trying to hide their enormous girth; quite the opposite, several people were wearing tight T-shirts with their big bellies sticking out proudly.”

2. Tipping is stressful.
3. There are too many chicken wings.
4. Plugged toilets are hard to fix with your bare hands.

“I wrapped a plastic bag around my arm and stuck my hand into the icy water that was welling up from the bowl. My arm wouldn’t go far enough,”

5. Road tripping is hard when you don't have a driver's license.

The plan, though, is knee-capped largely because Mr. Knausgaard lost his driver’s license before starting the assignment—and neglected to obtain a new one.

In fact, the first instalment of the travel piece, dubbed My Saga, focuses heavily on the paperwork involved in obtaining a new driver’s license in Sweden (Mr. Knausgaard’s current home).

6. He is self-admittedly a bad travel-author.

At one point, Mr. Knausgaard also openly laments the notable lack of context he is able to bring to the travel writing profession, particularly as compared to other famed writers such as Alexis de Tocqueville. “My only observation thus far was that people here were fatter than back home,” he writes.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The newfies that come over to my part of the country are always lean mean working machines

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...thinks-some-newfoundlanders-are-fat-1.2977120

Knausgaard's description of fat Newfoundlanders is limited to what he saw inside a restaurant. The headline on this story has been changed to more accurately reflect his observations

Norwegian novelist Karl Ove Knausgaard thinks some Newfoundlanders are fat

And, he went to something that looks like the equivalent of an Applebees or Pizzaria Unos; http://www.junglejims.ca/

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Haha, reminds me of the books Jeremy Clarkson writes, but I don't think this guy was trying to be funny. I'm still awe struck at the herds of fat people going into Walmart. I went into Walmart a few days ago to see if they had vanity lights (needed a cheap one for a flip house). I hadn't been in a Walmart in years. It didn't disappoint. First thing I saw was a huge, I mean enormous child laying down, sleeping in the toy aisle. He couldn't have been older than 7-8 but took up the entire aisle. I then went to the home improvement area and an entire family was looking at light bulbs. All of them recklessly large. To my amazement, they had a huge child too that was laying in the aisle. The mom was 300+ and was riding in a scooter, but she looked to be only 30 years old. Three other children and her husband all packed themselves in the aisle. I don't think there is a noncommercial vehicle with a GWVR big enough for all of them to have driven to the store in one car.

As I walked out I saw a dude checking out with a cart full of 2liter sodas and 20+ Tombstone pizzas.

It was another world.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Haha, reminds me of the books Jeremy Clarkson writes, but I don't think this guy was trying to be funny. I'm still awe struck at the herds of fat people going into Walmart. I went into Walmart a few days ago to see if they had vanity lights (needed a cheap one for a flip house). I hadn't been in a Walmart in years. It didn't disappoint. First thing I saw was a huge, I mean enormous child laying down, sleeping in the toy aisle. He couldn't have been older than 7-8 but took up the entire aisle. I then went to the home improvement area and an entire family was looking at light bulbs. All of them recklessly large. To my amazement, they had a huge child too that was laying in the aisle. The mom was 300+ and was riding in a scooter, but she looked to be only 30 years old. Three other children and her husband all packed themselves in the aisle. I don't think there is a noncommercial vehicle with a GWVR big enough for all of them to have driven to the store in one car.

As I walked out I saw a dude checking out with a cart full of 2liter sodas and 20+ Tombstone pizzas.

It was another world.
i often look in others ' carts are the checkout to see what they are buying. Find a lean milf in her 30's and it is vegetables and organic this or that but fatties will either have carts entirely full of garbage or mostly full of it with token efforts like diet pop . This past weekend I was at somebody's house and an obese guy who looked like he had cardiovascular diseases was nibbling on gluten free cookies.

Obesity is the new smoking. As we have wound down most of smoking from society we still collectively abuse ourselves with this rank ignorance of proper diet.

Newfoundlanders are of course widely overweight and or obese as the rest of canada though interestingly Newfoundland is the fattest province with 71% of its population overweight and an even third obese, substantially worse than canada overall.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
The guy sounds like a jackass.

"The author’s travel writing is also somewhat unorthodox in that he categorically refuses to engage with locals."

Status
Not open for further replies.