Norton Internet Security 2009 does NOT work on XP 64bit just to let you know...

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
So.. after using Norton Antivirus for years and giving up on it after it came out with bloated *edited by AnandTech Moderator* a few years ago, I decided to try it again after I read reviews that said it was 'fast' again...

So, I bought a 3-license version of Norton Internet Security 2009 from buy.com.. And, when I tried to install it, it stated that it is not compatible with XP 64bit. Of course, it doesn't say that anywhere in the Symantec.com description of the product..

Anyway.. here's my *edited by AnandTech Moderator* transcript that was a huge waste of time with the idiot tech support people in India:

Chat ID: a5d629c8-fa77-487e-a1ce-5dd686baca5b
Problem : Not compatible with XP 64????
Kamaraj: You are being transferred to Kamaraj.
Kamaraj: Welcome to Norton Support, my name is Kamaraj, Can I please have a minute to go through the information you have provided?

Mr. brxndxn: sure
Kamaraj: Thanks, your case number is 081211-006720, please write this down.
Mr. brxndxn: I bought Norton Internet Security 2009
Kamaraj: So just to check that I'm looking into the correct thing, that you want to know whether XP 64 bit compatible with Norton program. Is this right?
Mr. brxndxn: it doesn't say anywhere on Symantec's site that I can't use 2009 on XP 64bit
Kamaraj: If we disconnected for any reason, please follow these instructions to reconnect this chat ( you may want to jot down the link and code ). You'll need to do this within a couple of minutes of being disconnected:

1.Open up Internet Explorer and then go to www.norton.com/connectme
2.Enter the [290690]
3.Click on [Submit]
Mr. brxndxn: no.. it is already saying it is not compatible
Mr. brxndxn: I bought it because it does NOT say it's not compatible on Symantec's web site.. but when I try to install it, it says it's not compatible.. so now what do I do?
Kamaraj: Thank you
Kamaraj: I would like you to inform that Norton products are not compatible with Windows XP 64 bit edition based computer
Mr. brxndxn: okay.. so now what? how do I get a refund?
Kamaraj: May I have the order number for the purchase of Norton and it will be sent to your email at the the time of purchase
Mr. brxndxn: 44055211 from buy.com
Kamaraj: I apologize for the inconvenience, we cannot create the refund request for product purchased in retail shop.
Mr. brxndxn: can I have norton antivirus 64bit at least?
Kamaraj: No, Please note Norton consumer product cannot be installed on Windows Xp 64 -bit operating system computer.
Mr. brxndxn: so what number do I call to get a refund?

Edited to remove objectionable language. This is a tech forum, not Off-Topic.

Thread moved from Software For Windows to Security.

AnandTech Moderator
mechBgon

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Do you normally assume stuff is compatible if it doesn't specifically say it isnt?

I kind of work the other way. :confused:

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Hi. Looks like we screwed up! I'm sorry, I know if I was you I'd be frustrated as well. XP64 is not officially supported. I had have the chief architect on the consumer team confirming that. I'm also contacting the web team to ensure that the 32bit only (for XP, Vista 64 is supported) is displayed. It's currently not and thats wrong which led to this confusion.

If you have ANY problems with the refund contact me and I'll find the right people to ensure it goes smoothly.

Sorry!
Bill

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
This isn't OT, posts like this is the technical forums are appreciated. Further trolling will earn you time away. bsobel

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks
NAV has major problems. Here's my chat transcript with tech support, hey we got the same tech guy, weird!

Chat ID: a1c321b4-ad11-ab15-ad11-3cd163baca4a

Problem : Can't make me breakfast????
Kamaraj: You are being transferred to Kamaraj.
Kamaraj: Welcome to Norton Support, my name is Kamaraj, Can I please have a minute to go through the information you have provided?

Mr. Jonks: sure
Kamaraj: Thanks, your case number is 5684652-5887465, please write this down.
Mr. Jonks: I bought Norton Internet Security 2009
Kamaraj: So just to check that I'm looking into the correct thing, that you want to know whether NAV2009 will make you breakfast. Is this right?
Mr. Jonks: it doesn't say anywhere on Symantec's site that NAV can't make me bacon and eggs
Kamaraj: If we disconnected for any reason, please follow these instructions to reconnect this chat ( you may want to jot down the link and code ). You'll need to do this within a couple of minutes of being disconnected:

1.Open up Internet Explorer and then go to www.norton.com/connectme
2.Enter the [290690]
3.Click on [Submit]
Mr. Jonks: no.. it just sits there and won't cook. I put the eggs next to the mouse and everything
Mr. Jonks: I bought it because it does NOT say it didn't go to culinary school on Symantec's web site.. but when I turn on the stove and put out the pans, it absolutely refuses to heat me up some sweet smokey breakfast saugsages.. so now what do I do?
Kamaraj: Thank you
Kamaraj: I would like you to inform that Norton products are not tested for breakfast compatibility. They will keep viruses out of your computer, but you can still get viruses from undercooked meat. Sorry, little security humor there. haha.
Mr. Jonks: okay.. so now what? how do I get a refund?
Kamaraj: May I have the order number for the purchase of Norton and it will be sent to your email at the the time of purchase
Mr. Jonks: 554423153 from buy.com
Kamaraj: I apologize for the inconvenience, we cannot create the refund request for product purchased in retail shop.
Mr. Jonks: can I get a personal chef at least?
Kamaraj: No, Please note Norton consumer product is designed to keep you from getting burned by the latest viruses, not to protect you from burned toast. Oh goodness, I'm too much.
Mr. Jonks: so what number do I call to get a refund?

So you see, I had similar problems. Screw Norton.

Your problem has nothing to do with Norton... :disgust: