Norton Ghost & Multiple Partitions

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by Fern, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Fern

Fern Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I use the clone feature to "backup" pc's at office. Have a I20 gig with six partitions. Ghost is only seeing 3 which, of course, is preventing me from using the last 3. (the last 3 are lumped together and listed as "unused space" or something similar in the utility screen)

I have searched the Ghost manual, and googled, but cannot find any confirmation of such a limitation. Is anybody using Ghost/clone with a HD containing more than 3 partitions?

Thanks,

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Norton Ghost Multiple Forum Date
    Norton Ghost and SSD Software for Windows Dec 17, 2013
    Wanted Norton System Works With Ghost 2005 Or Newer Software for Windows Jan 9, 2012
    Norton Ghost is not so hot any more... alternatives for at work? Software for Windows Nov 28, 2011
    Norton Ghost "won't load multiple images"!!HELP Software for Windows Jan 25, 2002
    Norton Ghost and multiple Image files.... Software for Windows Jan 22, 2002

3. Noid

Noid Platinum Member

My 'backup' drive has 4 partitions.

No limits on the number of partitions that I heard of...

You need to be more descript on where and how, your partitions are 'missing'

IE: Can't see them when trying to image TO the 'unreachable' partitions, or cant see it trying to image the unreachable partition itself.

And remember ... images are 'backed up' to FAT32 partitions only.

4. Fern

Fern Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Thanks,
    I'm only using the clone feature - so when you get to the screen which shows "source" and "destination" drives/partitions, everything other than the first three partitions is listed , well similarly to the other partitions, but no drive letter and says "unused disk space" or somethning similar. I.e., the last three partitions are listed fourth and lumped together with no drive letter. Won't let you choose it either.

BTW, the DOS screen when cloning has two smaller windows within it with your drives/partitions mapped out (or listed or pictured, whatever is the most helpful term). It's the same screen image seen under both "source" and "destination" windows. You put checkmark next to a drive/partition under "source" and one drive/partition under destination, hit "next" and wham, it clones the "source" drive/partition over to the "destination" drive/partition.

If you've got 4 partitions and are not having any probs, well I'm suspecting it's due to some type of complication from using Maxblast3 to create the partitions. It's not just me, my father has the same issue (he also used the maxblast to format and create partitions). Crap, this prolly means I goota live with it, or learn to use fdisk better and do the whole thing over bleh...

5. Noid

Noid Platinum Member

Yes ... MAXBLAST does weird stuff...

Use Max Blast to to create your OS partition ONLY.

Then use windows to create any other partitions desired.

So, delete the problem partitions, and re-crerate them in windows.
    (you may have to juggle partition drive letters later)