Norton Ghost is not so hot any more... alternatives for at work?

evilspoons

Oct 17, 2005
Hello everyone.

My boss tells me to "Ghost new computers" once they're configured, i.e. create a system image that can be reused for restoration if stuff goes wrong. Ghost is ingrained in his vocabulary, we've been using Symantec/Norton Ghost for a while now. Unfortunately, it's sort of a giant pain in the arse... and our local computer store has stopped selling it, to boot.

I like the ability to schedule backups and I like how 14.0 (the last version I've used) does incremental images. On the other hand, it sometimes screws up the incremental images and starts a new backup set for no reason, and worst of all, the images don't always restore properly - they don't seem to regenerate the boot partition setup that Windows 7 uses.

Are there any alternatives? I'm just looking for something that can reliably image a system, hopefully has some sort of scheduling, and doesn't cost a fortune - $50 a license like Ghost is a good target.

My #1 priority is the ability to take a computer that's died, put a blank hard drive in it, and restore the backup image from somewhere else (preferably network, USB storage also OK) onto the blank hard drive and have a working version of Windows without any screwing around.

PS: The built-in backup in Windows 7 left a bad taste in my mouth when I tried to use it on my home computer. There is some incompatibility between the EFI on my new mainboard and the way Windows boots off the hard drive vs. off the recovery disc - Windows simply would not restore my perfectly-valid image. I'd like something that isn't quite so flaky.

Last edited:

thewhat

May 9, 2010
I never understood why Ghost was so popular in the first place.

Anyway, the two I'd advise you to check out are Macrium Reflect and Acronis True Image. I never used scheduling etc., but for my usage Reflect has worked pretty well so far.
And yes, avoid the Windows built-in system backup, it's rather bad.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I'd recommend Macrium reflect. Someone here recommended it to me, i tried the free version and ended up buying it. It's quite good!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I never understood why Ghost was so popular in the first place.

Anyway, the two I'd advise you to check out are Macrium Reflect and Acronis True Image. I never used scheduling etc., but for my usage Reflect has worked pretty well so far.
And yes, avoid the Windows built-in system backup, it's rather bad.

Seconded. Macrium Reflect if it's a one-off, Acronis if you need a network image management solution.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Been using Acronis TI since version 4 - now at 13 (2012.) Never a problem with 98, XP, Vista or 7. The real key is to create and use bootable "Rescue Media" and do it off line out of the OS.

Due to Symantec marketing and ever presence, "Ghosting" became a word much like "Xeroxing." Your boss's instructions illustrate.

Last edited:

evilspoons

Oct 17, 2005
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I'll look into Acronis and Reflect.

This Windows Deployment Services idea is interesting too, as we have a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller... I'm going to have to do some reading!