Norton Ghost 2003: Error (1972) "No cd/dvd in drive" at the end of spanning image accross cds.

Sophia

Apr 26, 2001
I'm trying to use Ghost 2003 to span a backup image across several cds. I have compression set to "high" and I have tried both cd-r and (24x) cd-rw disks and get the same error message.

When each cd is full, or the last one is finished, it ejects the cd. Immediately, after it ejects the last cd as "finished" it flashes a black screen, and then comes back giving me the error "1972 - No cd/dvd in drive" and the options are "retry" (which won't work for any cd, blank, cd #1 of the set, the program cd, or anything that I can think of) or "cancel" at which point the operation fails. I have no idea what cd it has in mind should be in there and it doesn't say what it is looking for.

Anybody know what to do?

Bglad

Golden Member
Oct 29, 1999
Okay, its been awhile since I've tried to backup to CD. Personally I think hard drives are so cheap now that its a waste of time not to just buy an extra drive and backup to it, preferably a drive in a removable bay... but I digress.

I think what it is asking for is the first CD. I think it has to go back to the first cd at the end to write how many volumes the image is to finalize. Try that and let us know if it works.

TheDiggler

Dec 23, 2002
I use a different method for storing Ghost Images to CD:

1) Create a separate FAT32 DISK PARTITION for storing temporary Ghost Image Files and assign the parition a DRIVE LETTER (I also assign that parition a volume label of "Recovery").

2) Configure Ghost to span images accross multiple image files w/ a maximum individual image file size of 700MB.

3) Let Ghost image your PARTITION(s) or DRIVE(s) (except the "Recovery" parition) such that the image files are written to the "Recovery" drive (that's why you assigned the Recovery parition a DRIVE LETTER). If you only have 1 HD, you won't be able to image the DRIVE as you can't IMAGE FROM and IMAGE TO the same HD at the same time. Instead you'll need to image INDIVIDUAL PARITIONS (except the Recovery Partition).

4) After Ghost is finished, re-boot into Windows and use your favorite CD Burning software to burn the image files to CD.

To configure Ghost to SPAN image files @ 700MB chunks, do the following:
[*] Create a Ghost Boot Floppy
[*] Open up the Boot Floppy's autoexec.bat file in your favorite text editor (or Notepad.exe)
[*] Change the line "GHOST.EXE" to "GHOST.EXE -span -split=700"
[*] Save the file and exit your text editor. You now have a Ghost Boot Floppy that spans images @ 700MB chunks.

The above may seem a bit cumbersome; however, look at it this way:
a) You don't have to sit there while Ghost images the HD one CD at a time.
b) Once you're back in Windows, you can burn your image files AND work on your computer at the same time.

Sophia

Apr 26, 2001
Bglad,

While I'm inclined to agree with you that it is supposed to prompt you for the first cd at the end (read it somewhere, I think), inserting the first cd does not work. It just won't read the cd when I click on Retry.

I may try TheDiggler's method when I go at it again.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
TheDiggler has it exactly right. I wasn't gonna post the same information. But i've done it this way ever since my images came up larger than 700 MBs compressed.

Sled Dog

Oct 10, 1999
I am using Ghost 2003 for my backups. I use the floppy to make my images, and put them on another partition. I have many on the drive, and thought I would dump them some CDs to make some space. Thinking it would be good to do an image check, I boot to the Ghost floppy, and stuff in the cd. Ghost reports the CD as not being written by Ghost, and refused to read them. I even made a CD bootable with the Ghost floppy, it boots and still won't read the .GHO files stating the CD was not written by Ghost. For me writing the image to a CD in windows and trying to use them in dos using the Ghost floppy made with Ghost boot wizard doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Thanks

abovewood

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I made backup CDs using Ghost 7.5 the same way as TheDiggler did.

I only tested ghost 2003 for a minute.

It looks like it can now read andwrite to NTFS partition.