Northern Lights ::UPDATE WITH PICS::

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
If you're in the northern US/Canada and it's dark where you are, go outside and look at the northern half of the sky. They're really amazing right now here in Michigan. I'll be in the Upper Penninsula in a couple of days... I hope they're still around, they'd be amazing to see way up there.

Cliff notes: NORTHERN LIGHTS ON DISPLAY! GO SEE!

iamme pics:

my crappy pics:

Awesome! Thanks! Immediately grabbed the camera and started adjusting... here are the results... they show that I definitely need a tripod and that I shake too much in 40 degree weather :)

Northern Lights 1
Northern Lights 2
Northern Lights 3

Note: They're really not that bright (except for the third one, which is pretty accurate), but the A80 has some wicked exposure and apeture to it. I'll try to get something better.

my decent pics:

WinstonSmith pic:

got a decent one. The camera powered down and reverted to ASA 100. Reset to 400, but having trouble uploading to bbzzdd Grrrr

Got it uploaded

one

two

three

last one

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
<-------Walks outside

*UPDATE COMING*

UPDATE: All I see is the glow of the small town North of here.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
11:17 EST right now. I just went out to feed our dog and the whole northern half of the sky was covered in brilliant green curtains of light. :thumbsup:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Whoa! I see them here in western NY. I wonder if I can get a pic with my A40?

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
SWEEEEEEEEEET

thanks for the heads up!

gonna try to take some pics, but not sure how they'll turn out.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Here's some info on its position right now... noaa.gov.

Looks like the southern half of the US can't see them right now. Maybe wait till midnight.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
OMG that was beautiful :D

almost scary watching the lights change.....THANKS MOBOBUFF!

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I haven't seen them since the early 1950s. Actually forgot exactly what they look like.

I was in Saranac Lake, N.Y.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
No problem, I look for these every year, but most of the time it's way too cloudy to get the effect. This is the most I've seen of them in a long time :thumbsup: It is pretty amazing to watch them shift and change color.

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004
Originally posted by: jadinolf
I haven't seen them since the early 1950s. Actually forgot exactly what they look like.

I was in Saranac Lake, N.Y.

how old are you? :)

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Yeah I wouldn't know the first thing about getting a picture of them, they look amazing in person, but I don't know how to set my A80's exposure/sensitivity to get them to show up.

They're spanning almost the entire sky from west to east right now, with a peak that everything flows to right in the center of the sky. Like a lot of colored glowing smoke being sucked out of a hole in the sky :cool:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: mobobuff
If you're in the northern US/Canada and it's dark where you are, go outside and look at the northern half of the sky. They're really amazing right now here in Michigan. I'll be in the Upper Penninsula in a couple of days... I hope they're still around, they'd be amazing to see way up there.

Cliff notes: NORTHERN LIGHTS ON DISPLAY! GO SEE!
Occasionally the Northern Lights dip low enough (lattitude) that we can see them in SouthWestern Ontario. I remember about 5 or so years ago this happened, and I could see them from our backyard. Very strange yet beautifull.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Yeah I wouldn't know the first thing about getting a picture of them, they look amazing in person, but I don't know how to set my A80's exposure/sensitivity to get them to show up.

They're spanning almost the entire sky from west to east right now, with a peak that everything flows to right in the center of the sky. Like a lot of colored glowing smoke being sucked out of a hole in the sky :cool:

set the apeture to the lowest number (the biggest appeture is the lowest number, go figure), and exposure to .5 to 1 second? manual focus to infinity. iso 800 or higher.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Here in Rochester, Mn they started out has green lights in the north and northeast at about 5:30-6

they transformed into white light and cover nearly the entire sky.

around 8:30 they looked like and angel with its wings spread across the city.

I have never seen these ever and have lived up here all my life.

all I can say is WOW!