North Korea, what is the problem?

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
17,563
150
106
from the snippets ive read,it seems as though North Korea is looking for $$$ handouts to dismantle its nuclear weapons program.
Isn't this similar to blackmail/extortion? Why is the US/Japan/South Korea even negotiating with this country?
If I am incorrect in any of my assumptions above...sorry.

edit:I guess I'm just looking for clarification on the matter.
 

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
17,563
150
106
ive been up since 5:30 and am full of coffee :D

btw dont we owe each other hw?
 

hollowman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001
4,864
0
76
heat left for ya.

someone PM me once you guys finish discuss this and come up with an answer. =)
 

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
11,383
87
91
Shrug, unless they get a good reason not to, they will arm themselves. What's so strange about that?
 

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
17,563
150
106
why should the us/japan and south korea be responsible for providing them a reason not to?


 

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
11,383
87
91
Originally posted by: ncircle
why should the us/japan and south korea be responsible for providing them a reason not to?

Cause they are the ones who don't want them to arm in the first place?

If your neighbour wants to buy a gun, and you are against it, you will have to convince him not to, no one else will.
Especially if he wants the gun cause he doesn't trust you.
 

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
17,134
38
91
North Korea is just trying to extort money out of those three wealthy countries so that it can keep its atavistic, corrupt, decadent, and treacherous regime alive. We need regime change in North Korea. But this does not have to be done militarily. We can do it by banding all the relevant powers together and starving it out of existance. Any more isolation and they'll be ghost.

All this reminds me of a strip in the last issue of The Economist in which the leader of North Korea is riding a Fat Boy with some poor North Korean carrying all the load. The funny part was a phrase by the leader which said: Why Enrich the People when you can enrich the Uranium.
 

hollowman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001
4,864
0
76
Originally posted by: Dari
North Korea is just trying to extort money out of those three wealthy countries so that it can keep its atavistic, corrupt, decadent, and treacherous regime alive. We need regime change in North Korea. But this does not have to be done militarily. We can do it by banding all the relevant powers together and starving it out of existance. Any more isolation and they'll be ghost.

All this reminds me of a strip in the last issue of The Economist in which the leader of North Korea is riding a Fat Boy with some poor North Korean carrying all the load. The funny part was a phrase by the leader which said: Why Enrich the People when you can enrich the Uranium.

interesting point. is this discussion over yet?
 

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
10,241
0
0
I don't mind my tax dollars going to North Korea. Please make my contribution laser or satellite guided.
 

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
5,768
0
71
we should just send people to take apart their nukes. Don't want it ending up in the hands of terrorists.
 

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
12,513
49
91
Originally posted by: Windogg
I don't mind my tax dollars going to North Korea. Please make my contribution laser or satellite guided.

LOL!
 

Grasshopper27

Banned
Sep 11, 2002
7,013
1
0
Originally posted by: Windogg
I don't mind my tax dollars going to North Korea. Please make my contribution laser or satellite guided.

200 grasshopper points to you Windogg, that was funny! ;)
 

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
44,303
15
81
If you give us a couple of reactors and millions of gallons of fuel-oil, we promise (cross our hearts!) not to build any nuclear weapons.

Oops! Sorry, hehe.. we, ah, we sort of lied about that.. But, we'd like to negotiate this. I mean, we have a right to them and everything.. Perhaps if you give us more stuff and feed our starving people, we'll promise not to make any more...

Jackasses... And now they're rumored to have a stock of the smallpox virus.
 

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
11,157
0
0
The problem is that they have an enormous military, which while it is not comparable to the best we can match them with, we cannot in any way match their numbers. They have also been refining their plans since the end of the first Korean war and continue to arm and maintain a readiness to attack.

What's the problem with starving the country out of existence? Aside from the amazingly obvious human rights problems that poses, there are many, many South Koreans with family still in the North who might not take so kindly to supporting their government's program to kill their relatives. Further and more importantly, if you create a situation where the North Koreans are in imminent danger of losing their power (speaking of the government, namely the Chong-er), then the Chong-ster will lose nothing by launching a full scale assault on South Korea. If he loses, then he's right where he thought he'd be. If he wins...well, that's obvious, isn't it? In the process, whichever way it goes, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, will die. Plus, if the Chong-er does have nukes, he might just lob one over to Alaska. Or, just for spite, he might decide to nuke Tokyo -- how many millions live there?

Right now, most of the countries which possess nuclear weapons do so in a responsible manner and are EXTREMELY unlikely to use them. Even at its worst, the Soviet Union was not a hair's breadth from launching its missiles. With North Korea, Kim Chong-il is so unpredictable and yet so revered that he might just decide to do something bizarre, and his people would listen and obey. That unpredictability makes him dangerous. Combine that with nuclear weapons and the consequences could be, literally, devastating.