North Korea ready for Nuke Test

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: DurocShark
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: K1052
This happens every once in a while, one of Kim's ploys to get more attention.
The rest of the world is busy with the Israel/Leb war and Iran.

I doubt he will actually test as it will only draw a negative response from basically everyone.

Exactly, Kim just feels "ronery".

As for the OP, you need to chill out with your 'we must invade now' attitude unless you plan on nuking China too.

As I said, I hope they don't.

But I do NOT need to chill on this point. NK's leadership is too unstable to have that capability. The capability needs to be removed permanently.

If they're just screwing around, fine. Let 'em. I don't believe we need to do anything but point and laugh at Kim's childish behaviour. But what if he really does get that capability? What if he decides to feel "ronery" again but with a multi-megaton nuke?

No, a full conventional invasion (I don't believe in using nukes except in a national survival situation) is absolutely necessary.

Does anybody really believe China would do more than get pissy in the UN if we invaded NK? Seriously? When WalMart is the 10th largest country China trades with? heh

Whats the problem with NK having nukes again? Do you actually think the us military could win the war?

Umm...... are you seriously doubting the ability of the US Army to crush North Korea?

:disgust:

Buddy we'd crush them in a matter of days.

We'd have complete control of the sea from day #1, and complete control of the sky within a few hours of fighting. We'd pound ANY potential launch sites from the safety of the air and the NK's wouldn't know what hit them.

Triple or quadrouple the US force in South Korea, they and the South Korean Army (which is alone probably a match for that of NK) advance Northward. From the east we launch an amphibious invasion using troops we have in Japan.

If the fighting in the south gets hot and the NK army doesn't retreat, these troops can go south and hit the NK rear. If the NK army retreats, these troops can cut off the retreat and crush the NK army.

Anyway, like I said, this is all theoretical. I REALLY think that the NK government would collapse before we'd actually won a military victory anyway.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
The problem with starting a war is that you can't get your assets to the region for weeks. It would take a month to get aircraft carriers there, and weeks to build up any troop presence threw airtransport (provided anyone woudl let us stage from their country). North Korea would know the attack was comming weeks if not months in advance, so they would ahve more then enough time to start all kinds of sh|t before we coudl get appriciable assets on the ground. Obviously our military is better, but North Korea would have leveled South Korea before they got there, and if they wanted to use their nukes they would take out some Japaneese cities to. The only thing we would to stop them would be to use nukes, or get China to beat them into submission.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: BrownTown
The problem with starting a war is that you can't get your assets to the region for weeks. It would take a month to get aircraft carriers there, and weeks to build up any troop presence threw airtransport (provided anyone woudl let us stage from their country). North Korea would know the attack was comming weeks if not months in advance, so they would ahve more then enough time to start all kinds of sh|t before we coudl get appriciable assets on the ground. Obviously our military is better, but North Korea would have leveled South Korea before they got there, and if they wanted to use their nukes they would take out some Japaneese cities to. The only thing we would to stop them would be to use nukes, or get China to beat them into submission.

Yeah, but in this case we already have a heck alot of troops, naval warships, and planes ALREADY in the area.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
China needs to press on NK to give up this foolishness, unless it wants to see a nuclear armed Japan.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Extelleron

Yeah, but in this case we already have a heck alot of troops, naval warships, and planes ALREADY in the area.

really, do you have any links to the deployments in this area? I was of the impression that the majority of our deployed forces were in the middle east, and of course alot of our stuff is here in the US.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005

really, do you have any links to the deployments in this area? I was of the impression that the majority of our deployed forces were in the middle east, and of course alot of our stuff is here in the US.

AFAIK we have something like 50,000 troops just in NK. Warships were deployed to the area when we were anticipating a missile launch last month I believe. Don't we still still have troops in Japan too?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

I doubt he will actually test as it will only draw a negative response from basically everyone.

Because North Korea care about our response?

"Oh no, bad dog!" is not the sort of response that demands following or attention. They'll carry on doing whatever they like. So, detonating a few Nukes as proof to their buyers is something that I find likely.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005

AFAIK we have something like 50,000 troops just in NK. Warships were deployed to the area when we were anticipating a missile launch last month I believe. Don't we still still have troops in Japan too?

OK, so we ahve about a tenth the needed forces to win, somehow that doesnt seem promissing. When i say "win", i mean win with less than 100,000 dead.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

OK, so we ahve about a tenth the needed forces to win, somehow that doesnt seem promissing. When i say "win", i mean win with less than 100,000 dead.

No matter what action you take against a nuclear country, more than 100,000 WILL die from the first bomb. Your estimations of losses of ground forces are underestimated.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
I was reffering to the non-nuclear casualties in case of war. Nuclear capabilites are currently unknown for North Korea, but obviously if they get working nukes they can pack on planes Tokyo is going bye-bye.

straightalker

Dec 21, 2005

As for the OP, you need to chill out with your 'we must invade now' attitude unless you plan on nuking China too.

But I do NOT need to chill on this point. NK's leadership is too unstable to have that capability. The capability needs to be removed permanently.

If they're just screwing around, fine. Let 'em. I don't believe we need to do anything but point and laugh at Kim's childish behaviour. But what if he really does get that capability? What if he decides to feel "ronery" again but with a multi-megaton nuke?

No, a full conventional invasion (I don't believe in using nukes except in a national survival situation) is absolutely necessary.

Does anybody really believe China would do more than get pissy in the UN if we invaded NK? Seriously? When WalMart is the 10th largest country China trades with? heh
Whoa Hoss. It's not so simple as that. Seoul south korea is held hostage to thousands of huge heavily entrenched artilery guns as well as perhaps even millions of rockets and missiles. They have had 50 years to stock up and upgrade weapons and plan for their use on both Seoul and our USA Defences entrenched there.

There's no defense against an artilery shell after it's been fired. And nuke artillery shells can be fired as well. I don't know if they have those. But if so, it's an even pricklier porcupine to deal with.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
North Korea won't have nuclear artillery sheels, they have just now developed crude fission weaposn, they lack the miniturazation skill needed to put a nuke in an artillery piece. However, a plane could likely carry their nuke, and they would not have a problem getting it to Seoul. Japan *might* be a problem, but anywhere in the Korea peninsula is gonna be well within range.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I'm all for North Korea performing a nuclear test, providing:

A) The warhead is placed in the middle of the Peoples Park in the middle of their largest city.

B) The Communist Party Leadership gathers in a circle and dances around it like a conga line.

C) Kim Jong-Il sits on top of it and clicks the detonator.

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
I'm all for North Korea performing a nuclear test, providing:

A) The warhead is placed in the middle of the Peoples Park in the middle of their largest city.

B) The Communist Party Leadership gathers in a circle and dances around it like a conga line.

C) Kim Jong-Il sits on top of it and clicks the detonator.

Can we also send Bush (and/or Cheney) so they can have a front row seat?

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Hmm, how many people to we need to kill for my boy Bill Frist to be prez? Bush, Cheney, and the speaker of the house? Yeah that would be good.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

Whats the problem with NK having nukes again? Do you actually think the us military could win the war?

Umm...... are you seriously doubting the ability of the US Army to crush North Korea?

We'd have complete control of the sea from day #1, and complete control of the sky within a few hours of fighting. We'd pound ANY potential launch sites from the safety of the air and the NK's wouldn't know what hit them.

Triple or quadrouple the US force in South Korea, they and the South Korean Army (which is alone probably a match for that of NK) advance Northward. From the east we launch an amphibious invasion using troops we have in Japan.

If the fighting in the south gets hot and the NK army doesn't retreat, these troops can go south and hit the NK rear. If the NK army retreats, these troops can cut off the retreat and crush the NK army.

Anyway, like I said, this is all theoretical. I REALLY think that the NK government would collapse before we'd actually won a military victory anyway.

what a bunch of fanciful horsesht.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: senseamp
China needs to press on NK to give up this foolishness, unless it wants to see a nuclear armed Japan.

Japan is already effectively nuclear armed, like several other coutries, they could have nuclear weapons in several days if they so choose.

envy me

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2005

Well good for them. In this crazy world we live in today, they most certainly have a right to defend themselves. With Americans invading Afghanistan and Iraq, with Israel invading Lebanon... We've already seen what happens to "Terrorist" nations which do not have nukes. Maybe with a Nuclear deterrant, the Bush axis of evil will think twice before doing anything stupid again.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005

Japan is already effectively nuclear armed, like several other coutries, they could have nuclear weapons in several days if they so choose.

If you replaced the word "days", for "years" then you would be correct, things like nukes don't just pop outa thin air, even if you have all the facilities needed to make a bomb it doesnt mean you can get them all operating in bomb making mode in a few days.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

If you replaced the word "days", for "years" then you would be correct, things like nukes don't just pop outa thin air, even if you have all the facilities needed to make a bomb it doesnt mean you can get them all operating in bomb making mode in a few days.

Sorry the correct word is days. Japan, Germany, probably Canada, Australia, Brasil, Argentia, and other countries have all the facilities and components needed to put a working bomb together, though they might be a bit on the crude side compared to modern multi-megaton bombs. Several of them had nuclear programs that did everything but test the actual bomb, for various reasons.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Time for Tac nukes? If not us, China is the next one in line to glass the place over....

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005

what a bunch of fanciful horsesht.

Thank you for your detailed analysis. I can DEFINATELY understand your viewpoint better after that post.