North Korea launching rocket this sunday morning

May 11, 2008
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-launches-long-range-rocket-south-says-n512891

North Korea launched a long-range rocket Sunday, drawing swift condemnation from the U.S. and Japan.
While Pyongyang said the rocket carried a satellite, the launch was widely viewed as a cover for testing ballistic missile technology -- in defiance of United Nations sanctions.
"We have totally succeeded in launching the fourth Kwangmyongsong satellite," North Korean state media said in a broadcast after the launch. It said the satellite reached its planned location in space in 9 minutes and 46 seconds.

What worries me more is the recent underground nuclear bomb test they did a few weeks ago. And are planning another one. But where do they get the material for nuclear bombs ?
If i remember correctly, They need U235 or U238 and a breeder reactor to create plutonium.
Who has sold the nuclear material ?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-launches-long-range-rocket-south-says-n512891

What worries me more is the recent underground nuclear bomb test they did a few weeks ago. And are planning another one. But where do they get the material for nuclear bombs ?
If i remember correctly, They need U235 or U238 and a breeder reactor to create plutonium.
Who has sold the nuclear material ?

..where is the 'industrial base" coming from for all of it. It's all furiously expensive..dangerous to handle and requires endless maintenance. In a country where Un is the only fat guy..how are they affording the industrial base cost to establish / build / test and now launch. Only a matter of time before this industrial base and launch technology is handed off to a dooms day Islamic mob.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Iran will do the same in short order.

I think that's a speculation about the future that will prove wrong.

Kim Jong Un won't visit the Pope.

Iran, for its hybrid theocracy, is a modern state wholly different from DPRK in the latter's self-imposed isolation from the rest of the world, and its delusional refusal to move forward. It thinks it's "moving forward" by attempting to become a nuclear power, but it is frozen in the status-quo arising from the Korean War.

Of course, I view the world in probabilistic terms, as I did in late 2002. I had written John McCain a letter in December of that year, and received a ludicrous 4-page response of assertions about Saddam Hussein's WMDs. I laughed at the response, and wagered that the good Senator would be proven wrong. And -- he was. . . .

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
I think that's a speculation about the future that will prove wrong.

Kim Jong Un won't visit the Pope.

Iran, for its hybrid theocracy, is a modern state wholly different from DPRK in the latter's self-imposed isolation from the rest of the world, and its delusional refusal to move forward. It thinks it's "moving forward" by attempting to become a nuclear power, but it is frozen in the status-quo arising from the Korean War.

Of course, I view the world in probabilistic terms, as I did in late 2002. I had written John McCain a letter in December of that year, and received a ludicrous 4-page response of assertions about Saddam Hussein's WMDs. I laughed at the response, and wagered that the good Senator would be proven wrong. And -- he was. . . .

I hope you are right..but the fact that they have the industrial base that's extremely expensive suggests that their "isolation" is a facade and under the table there is something entirely different ongoing and in progress.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
If they launch a "real" missile at the US or our allies, it will be handily shot down and then the full force of the world will crush NK. The only way a missile like the one they are testing gets to the US would be in a cold war era blanket launch where Russia launches all their missiles at once. Many would be shot down but a few could get through. They could use it against SK, but again, the full force of the world crushes them. I don't see their endgame other than a delusional boy stroking his chap and feeling like a bad ass in front of his poverty stricken people.

I'd be much more worried about a dirty bomb sneaking in than a missile from NK.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I hope you are right..but the fact that they have the industrial base that's extremely expensive suggests that their "isolation" is a facade and under the table there is something entirely different ongoing and in progress.

Whatever industrial base one might find in DPRK is mostly devoted to the production of methamphetamine to plague the northern Chinese provinces and the development of these weapons.

But I never suggested that Iran is "isolated." It has only been isolated by the sanctions.

The worst problem with Iran derives from the history wherein they expunged the Shah: it was a "blue-collar" or "people's" revolution, which later filled the ranks of the Revolutionary Guard. But the extremists don't run things.

By contrast, the leadership in DPRK is totally f***-nuts, or Little Kim's underlings pretend to go along because they fear execution by anti-aircraft.

Do you cook? Enjoy savoring exotic recipes? Occasionally visit various ethnic restaurants? Watch the Anthony Bourdain "Parts Unknown" episode for Iran. Oh! Don't tell me that the chef is a propagandist! Putting lies in my alphabet-soup!

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
My guess is theses little missile tests are probably a mix of internal propaganda and external bargaining chip. Probably a 75/25 split. Internally regardless of how the test goes they can spin it as look how powerful the central government is. Externally if it works it's another thing to trade on when they want another round of talks. If it didn't go well no big deal.

What it is not is a prelude to an attack on anyone. KJU likes his situation to much to risk an attack on anyone else.

Now for the funny stuff:

north-korean-rocket-launch-meme.jpg

70aed8d5dbf4582e1bfa7594ab2073f6e4a4611d981c534292a1abfac96a27b7.jpg

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
My guess is theses little missile tests are probably a mix of internal propaganda and external bargaining chip. Probably a 75/25 split. Internally regardless of how the test goes they can spin it as look how powerful the central government is. Externally if it works it's another thing to trade on when they want another round of talks. If it didn't go well no big deal.

What it is not is a prelude to an attack on anyone. KJU likes his situation to much to risk an attack on anyone else.

You can look at it as a "strategy." Maybe you can think that it has a certain "logic" from a central point-of-view.

But first, it is a dangerous game. I live on the West Coast, and I could have some misgivings over a mere fraction of a worst-case chance. But I sleep the same, go about my day just the same. I remember around October, 1962, walking home from school on a sunny and temperate day, as -- not one -- but two B-47s Strato-fortresses roared above, louder and more unsettling at the low altitudes taking off from March AFB. My ears were ringing by the time I made it indoors.

So imagine what Japan, Taiwan, South Korea -- perhaps even China -- think when the little asshole and grandson-of-his-father's-father pulls these worrisome and perversely PR stunts.

Second, as a "strategy" of a nation-state that refuses to be one of "citizens of the World," it is pathetic. It is a form of hijacking, or kidnapping, to get on the front pages of newspapers around that World.

Third, we all hope that pudgy Little Kim's days are numbered. Any further delays in such realization will be a perverse testament to how a group of criminals devised their repression of the inevitable.

Of course, DPRK doesn't have the B-1 Stealth bomber "blackbirds" the Pres has twice sent for exercises with the South. But more than that, they fear "Re-Unification" of the only sort that makes sense. They also know that the aftermath could involve trials in the Hague.

Now for the funny stuff:

north-korean-rocket-launch-meme.jpg

70aed8d5dbf4582e1bfa7594ab2073f6e4a4611d981c534292a1abfac96a27b7.jpg

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
JS274Vw.gif

Let them understand the true power of western civilization and weep.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Bernie is right.. Russia and Iran live in the real world.. North Korea doesn't seem to care about doomsday.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
The most isolated country in the world has nukes, and long range delivery vehicles.

Are Government - ultimate smart, has.

-John

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The most isolated country in the world has nukes, and long range delivery vehicles.

Are Government - ultimate smart, has.

-John

"Are Government - ultimate smart, has."

Do you give me your permission to make this a tshirt?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Looks like they have successfully put a satellite up there. Nuke it from orbit?